Forum search often fails to find any posts.

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Forum search often fails to find any posts.

Post by Zavian »

eg If I search for RSO I get no hits. This seems to happen regularly.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Forum search often fails to find any posts.

Post by Loewchen »

The minimum character length per word is 4, and some common words are not indexed. Therefore "mod rso then between" will not find anything.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This has immensely buggued me too (the 4 char limit), because there are so many 3 char (or even 2 char) words/abbreviations we use regularly, and I can't find with a search (bots, OP, LTN, bob, rso, and many many others).
I had to resort a google search with site:forums.factorio.com in that case, but it lacks some useful features (show as topic, ...).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Loewchen wrote:The minimum character length per word is 4, and some common words are not indexed. Therefore "mod rso then between" will not find anything.
Shouldn't it show a "search term is too short" warning then instead of just "no results found"? That's how any other™ search function works.

And more on spot... is there any technical (non-performance) reason to not set that limit down to 2? The index would probably eat slightly more disk space, but that should be about it, shouldn't it?

Edit:
Did some googling and the results suggest that 4 is simply the default minimum value. So maybe it's time to change that ;)? At least 3 would be really good. Also supposedly as a hackaround one can append an asterisk to short search termns (LTN*, RSO*) to get at least some results, though with a worse signal/noise ratio.
And the optional non-indexing of common words is supposedly actually dynamic. So something like "bot" which is used here really often might not be indexed becaues it is used too often...

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi i encountered this too, when trying to search for the forum page about darkfrei's "ice ore" mod.

i tried, Ice Ore which is in the subject of this forum post, but didnt find anything.
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=57113

(luckily the mod portal page finds things called "ice", and the mod page had a link to the forum page, but yes, it often doesnt find pages.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/IceOre

maybe one way could be to add a message in the results page, like "no results found, but click here to include 3 letter words", but it probably isnt as simple as that, since the whole data base will probably need reindexing (and back end code might not include those functions)

this seemed to yield some results though:
+ice* +ore*
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Return to “This Forum”