Discussion of Factorio 2 suggestions

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Discussion of Factorio 2 suggestions

Post by Tekky »

Currently, there is a Suggestions sub-forum. This is mainly used to post and discuss suggestions regarding the current game Factorio, i.e. Factorio 1. However, recently, someone posted some ideas he had that involved changes that were too big to be implemented in the current Factorio 1, but that could be implemented in Factorio 2. Here is a link to that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52401 Factorio 2 suggestions

That thread has now been locked by a moderator stating that discussions about a possible Factorio 2 were not welcome in the Suggestions forum and that he would also lock other threads on that topic.

Although I agree with the moderator that it may be a bit premature to talk about a possible Factorio 2, I don't consider it appropriate to prevent discussion on ideas for Factorio 2. I also wouldn't consider it appropriate to move these threads to the off-topic sub-forum, since ideas for Factorio 1 and Factorio 2 are closely related. For example, it may turn out that some ideas for Factorio 2 could already be (partially) implemented in a Factorio 1 expansion pack.

Therefore, I would hereby like to suggest that the forum moderators make an official statement that discussion on ideas regarding Factorio 2 is welcome and that the moderator who locked the thread mentioned above takes back his announcement that he will also lock future threads on this topic.

In the future, after Factorio 1 has left early access and has matured further, I am sure that the number of posts with ideas for Factorio 2 will increase significantly. Therefore, if the moderators have a strong desire to keep suggestions for Factorio 1 and Factorio 2 separate, it may be appropriate to create an additional "Suggestions for Factorio 2" sub-forum. In my opinion, this would be more appropriate than preventing discussion by locking threads.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Discussion of Factorio 2 suggestions

Post by DaveMcW »

Why not just start a thread in General Discussion?

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

Tekky wrote:Currently, there is a Suggestions sub-forum. This is mainly used to post and discuss suggestions regarding the current game Factorio, i.e. Factorio 1. However, recently, someone posted some ideas he had that involved changes that were too big to be implemented in the current Factorio 1, but that could be implemented in Factorio 2. Here is a link to that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52401 Factorio 2 suggestions

That thread has now been locked by a moderator stating that discussions about a possible Factorio 2 were not welcome in the Suggestions forum and that he would also lock other threads on that topic.
And this was wrong and correct. BTW as you can read he's also unsure whether it should be locked or not. I'm contented. At least it hasn't been deleted.

On one side it's very early, on the other side creating a new computer game takes years as you see with Factorio, a sequel might be started when the first game just reached golden master status. And there are SO many suggestions...

But a new forum... Some suggestions may be doable in Factorio and inspire modders...

On the other hand it should be primarly more a general discussion, which direction for Factorio 2 would be the best. In this case e.g. that it should get more survival game aspects, more dependence on equipment / vehicles / machines, varying challenges and gameplay by "biomes".

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

i feel that at this point, we shouldn't make a lot of large suggestions until what we know what is happening after 1.0 (stable 0.16). The devs have said that no more major features are going in before 1.0. After that, if they take the Minecraft approach, they could include more large ideas in future updates. If they go by way of expansion packs, they could include it in expansion packs. If they decide to make Factorio 2, then they could be included in Factorio 2. But I feel that since Factorio is still in early access and we don't know by which path the developers will be adding new content o the game (or even if they will), people shouldn't suggest new things yet.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

I agree with Jap2.0, wait until 1.0 before thinking about Factorio 2.
Besides, by the time 1.0 comes out, we may have forgotten about this.
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I still agree with myself about the locking of the former topic. Until the devs announce publicly they will start working - and thus open a suggestion board - for :
- either an extension,
- either a DLC (which could be free or not),
- either a Factorio 2,
I will lock such topics, because they are irrelevant

[Koub] Topic locked.

[Edit] :
[Koub] I have consulted the other moderators, and with retrospect, I will reopen this topic, because it should be OK to discuss about the "appropriateness" to create a subforum dedicated to "Factorio 2 Suggestions".
It won't mean the answer from the devs will be "yes", though. Also this topic must not become a discussion about a possible Factorio 2 content, just on if and how the forum should evolve

Apologies for the inconvenience
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Koub wrote:Apologies for the inconvenience
No worries.
Now on to the evolution of the forum!
Question: can forums evolve?
Question: can forums evolve?
untitled.png (91.38 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
That's all.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Thanks for unlocking this thread.

I have now been convinced that creating a "Factorio 2" sub-forum would not be appropriate, because the existence of such a sub-forum on the official forum would (incorrectly) imply that the developers had officially announced that there would be a sequel to Factorio.

However, I am still against locking these threads. It should be possible for people to discuss such ideas, if they want to, even if it is only in the "Off-Topic" sub-forum.

Therefore, instead of locking such threads, I believe it would be better if the moderators moved such threads to the "Off-Topic" sub-forum.

When moving a thread from the "Suggestions" sub-forum to the "Off-Topic" sub-forum, I recommend that a so-called phpBB shadow topic is left behind in the "Suggestions" sub-forum, so that everyone will still be easily able to find the thread there, but without the thread being bumped to the top of the list whenever a new post is made in that thread.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hi :)
I will let the topic as-is for now, so that the community can discuss about how she would like to be given the opportunity to discuss on the post-release era.
If things go wrong, or if I'm told otherwise by the devs, then I'll do what's needed.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Maybe we should start discussing Factorio 3 here :twisted:
Just kidding!
We could use this a bit like the ideas and suggestions section, but with more salt and spice.
Any regular visitors here should fit the bill!
That's all.

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

I would suggest having a place for these long term ideas, but with the understanding that the devs will ignore it, even when they start on 2.0. At that point they can allow suggestions in the normal place and maybe some one can move over the better ideas. The only down side with this is that there is still a need for a moderator to keep things civil, as I imagine there will be ideas that some one doesn't like...

Perhaps if an acceptable volunteer would offer to moderate the new subforum it could be created.

Return to “This Forum”