Am I the only one who did this?

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
jacob.exe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Am I the only one who did this?

Post by jacob.exe »

When I was creating my account there was a question that asked if I was a bot and I laughed when I saw that I could answer "I don't know", so I selected it and I was able to create my account.

I'm just wondering how many people actually pick this option :lol:

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Am I the only one who did this?

Post by daniel34 »

The question explicitly asks if you are a "spam bot". Since you obviously are a bot (your name is jacob.exe) but don't know if you are a spam bot you are most likely not one of them, which allowed you to complete your registration.

The default value of the dropdown is set to 'Yes' and many primitive spambots ignore unknown dropdowns. Changing it to 'No' or 'I don't know' shows that you read and understood the description and are not a spambot, otherwise it would have prevented your registration.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, we cannot be sure. Perhaps jakob.exe is just a spambot, that solved the Turing-test...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dd_qiuWxPs

Are you classified as human?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

The are you human tests are becoming increasingly ridiculous, or funny depending on how you look at things.

I had google TTS solve captchas for me that I couldn't pass. :lol:

jacob.exe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jacob.exe »

What is the minimum consumption rate, of iron plates, that is needed to fully automate forum registering (preferably at full efficiency)?

I don't know the ratio of iron to registers, maybe that should be added to the cheat sheet.

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

ssilk wrote:Well, we cannot be sure. Perhaps jakob.exe is just a spambot, that solved the Turing-test...
THIS_STATEMENT_IS_FALSE.

DOES_A_SET_OF_ALL_SETS_CONTAIN_ITSELF?

NEW_MISSION:_REFUSE_THIS_MISSION.

DIVIDE_BY_ZERO.

Ok, i'm done. :?
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

GoldenPorkchop80 wrote:
ssilk wrote:Well, we cannot be sure. Perhaps jakob.exe is just a spambot, that solved the Turing-test...
THIS_STATEMENT_IS_FALSE.

DOES_A_SET_OF_ALL_SETS_CONTAIN_ITSELF?

NEW_MISSION:_REFUSE_THIS_MISSION.

DIVIDE_BY_ZERO.

Ok, i'm done. :?
You forgot "EVERYTHING_IS_RELATIVE"

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I heard on a YouTube video (Veritasium I think) that Google tracks your usage history and decides if you seem bot-like. Thus sometimes the very easy captchas (in particular the one that simply asks you to click) are still effective bot deterrents. Just because you can solve the captcha doesn't mean it'll let you in.

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

thereaverofdarkness wrote:I heard on a YouTube video (Veritasium I think) that Google tracks your usage history and decides if you seem bot-like. Thus sometimes the very easy captchas (in particular the one that simply asks you to click) are still effective bot deterrents. Just because you can solve the captcha doesn't mean it'll let you in.
That's Google's NoCAPTCHA-ReCAPTCHA. And although you got some of it correct, there are some inconsistencies with your statement.
Google doesn't JUST rely on usage history, it relies on a bunch of things to determine if you're a bot. Some of those things include:
  • Your IP addresst
  • Your previous internet traffic
  • How your mouse moves to approach the checkbox
  • How many times your IP address solved the CAPTCHA correctly* in the past
  • The current time
  • The current date
  • The operating system and browser you're currently connecting from
& a bunch of other data that Google won't disclose for security reasons.

That data is then sent to a risk-analysis computer that takes the data and determines if you are a human or a robot with an output of a confidence level. If the machine's human output confidence < 70%**, then the computer will ask you to preform an actual CAPTCHA. From here, it's pretty easy: solve CAPTCHA = you're a human.
For the actual CAPTCHAs, Google was really smart when it came to that.
See, the reason why they ditched the old CAPTCHAs is because, well, they were too easy for robots, and too hard for humans. Back when computers had 2 MB of RAM and Hard Drives were still a pretty new invention, account bots DID exist, but they were extremely primitive. OCR was practically non-existent, so when websites had an issues with fake accounts, they just slapped up a CAPTCHA, and the bots would stop coming. However, the actual people would still be able to sign up, because we can read distorted text (up to a certain extent; some knock-offs would distort text beyond all recognition, hence why some website admins asked "ARE ALL OF OUR USERS ROBOTS!?"). Fast-Forward to about 2007: the new service ReCAPTCHA took over a while back, and is currently running the show. Too bad they're losing. At this point, OCR had advanced to the point where the CAPTCHAs could be solved with ease. And oh boy, were they solving them! In fact, at one point in late 2009, OCR had advanced so much that the robots were solving them with more successes/submits than people! So Google helped out partnered with ReCAPTCHA bought out ReCAPTCHA and starting creating their own using Behavioral Analysis. 4 years later, Google came out with NoCAPTCHA-ReCAPTCHA. And it, well, worked. Instead of using text, when a user was prompted to complete a CAPTCHA, they needed to preform image identification (i.e: click all the squares that contain a street sign), which is something that most modern computers really can't do without taking an eternity to process the image. However, people can do it with ease, since it's pretty easy to identify a storefront or flower or cat.
I actually think that this forum should incorporate this CAPTCHA. the radio buttons are ok, but I could literally program a bot in Java in about 30 minutes that could create hundreds of spam accounts for shits and giggles. Not that I would do that. :ugeek: :?
*"Correctly" in this context defines as clicking the "I'm not a robot" button and not having to complete an actual CAPTCHA. It also includes solving the actual CAPTCHA correctly on the first try.
**This is just a rough estimate based on my standards. The threshold may actually be higher or lower based on Google's security settings.
Contact me:
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

Where is the like button?

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

thereaverofdarkness wrote:Where is the like button?
There isn't one, but I appreciate your comment! :)
Contact me:
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit

Return to “This Forum”