New forum skin

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.

Do you like the new factorio skin? (Please note that there might still be some small errors).

Yes, I like it and I will use it.
62%
It is ok, I will use it.
18%
I don't like dark backgrounds. I keep the old skin.
11%
I think the old one was better. I keep the old skin.
9%

Total votes: 232

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New forum skin

Post by ssilk »

Moved from General
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

transportman wrote:I have a small issue with the skin, the mouse cursor almost seems to disappear over text fields I'm working in, as the mouse icon is almost the same shade of gray. I use the Windows default in Windows 8. Would it be possible to make the gray background of textfields a few shades lighter?
This is still an issue though. I have to agree it's very difficult to find the cursor when it's over a text field.

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

Good job on necro'ing this thread :lol:
AutoMcD wrote:This is still an issue though. I have to agree it's very difficult to find the cursor when it's over a text field.
But I agree 100% with this. Also on windows 10 default theme you can't see the mouse at all.

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

I could have started a new thread over it, pick your poison. ;)

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

If you can provide the necessary CSS, I can do it right away, otherwise, it will take a while for me to get to it.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I don't know if it's possible to change the mouse cursor to something else without using a custrom image or a fully different cursor.

The text field changes color when the text field is active and only then the cursor is so hard to see - when the text area is not active, the background color is darker and the cursor is easier to see. Maybe that could solve the problem?
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

You can't change mouse color, you can only change the shape or provide a custom one with image.

The "cursor" property will change the cursor when it hover the area where the property is placed. See http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/playit. ... al=default to see it in action with all possible value (they use it over a div, but it can be done on textarea as well).

Most value use the system defined "shape" So it will look different for people on different system or for those who use custom mouse.
The url value can be use with custom made image that will look the same everywhere. (but url value should be followed by auto value like in the example, so if the image cannot be loaded, it then try to use the default one.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sephrat »

A bit of an old post but I agree that this greyish background in the textarea drives me crazy sometimes when I can't find my cursor anymore. I need to move it around my whole screen to find it back.
Now that I've found this topic I realized I can go back to the default phpbb settings, and that's what I've done. Too bad, I liked the global feeling of this style but it's not practical when you write posts.
Please fix this. :-(

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

There is even a solution integrated in Windows.
Possible Solution
Former moderator.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

The problem with the custom skin is that the contrast is too low. Same on mods.factorio.com, the description on a mod page is hard to read. The default is not in Factorio style (thanks a lot for keeping it available btw) which is too bad, but it's so much easier to read.

henke37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by henke37 »

That animation fails to show the issue. Perhaps your browser is smart enough to detect that there is no contrast between the cursor and the background. But mine isn't.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

henke37 wrote:That animation fails to show the issue. Perhaps your browser is smart enough to detect that there is no contrast between the cursor and the background. But mine isn't.
Kajanor wrote:No, the cursor is nearly invisible for me, too. The capture program just recorded it black.
Former moderator.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

The mouse pointer invisibility when posting to forum can be fixed with a simple css tweak in this file: style.php?id=4&lang=en

Search `#797979` (specifically for `background-color` properties, most often relating to `.inputbox` classes) and then change `#797979` to something like `#bbb` (make the background lighter, which increases contrast between it and the cursor). There is also an `.inputbox:hover` class that uses a slightly different color - I suggest also changing this to lighter color as that will make initial mouse-over much more visible.

There are about 5 occurrences of the problem color in entire file. Anyone with privs to edit the style sheet should be able to fix this issue within a matter of seconds.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

Personally I like the Factorio skin in the forum. BUT, trying to read un-bolded black text on a light grey background really strains my eyes.

It's not too bad on the Forum, cause there was not much of it, or what there was is mostly not important text.
But in the MODs download section, All the Description, Discussion, comments, etc is all in this un-bolded black text on light grey backgrounds.

Its bad enough that I came looking for away to change the board colors, and found this topic. :)

So I changed it. UNFORTUNETLY, this does not apply to the MODS downloads section. Its still using the Factorio Skin, and still straining my eyes trying to read unbolded black text on a light grey background.

For the MODS download section
PLEASE either make all the un-bolded black text to Bold or Changed to White text.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

I do like the dark, but the cursor needs to be brighter, because I can hardly see where I'm editing, et. al. I switched to prosilver, but will will be back if a high contrast cursor becomes implemented as I prefer the darker theme.
Regards,
~B

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I can see the cursor fine, but I can't see the little bar which shows where I'm typing. Note: this does not show well on IE 11, but does show on Chrome. Unfortunately, I prefer IE, so I would appreciate a fix.
Attachments
On Chrome
On Chrome
Untitled2.png (8.19 KiB) Viewed 6984 times
On IE 11
On IE 11
Untitled.png (14.27 KiB) Viewed 6984 times
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Yes, that's the cursor thing that I was talking about. It makes creating a post very difficult.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Pls make new high contrast thema. Dark gray with black is very difficult for my eyes, can dark gray be replaced with light gray?

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

I agree
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

darkfrei wrote:Pls make new high contrast thema. Dark gray with black is very difficult for my eyes, can dark gray be replaced with light gray?
olafthecat wrote:I agree
There are other themes you can use if you don't like the orange and grey one

Return to “This Forum”