Suggestion: Vote Up/Down/Troll etc on forum posts

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.

Suggestion: Vote Up/Down/Troll etc on forum posts

Postby dstensnes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Suggestion: Vote Up/Down/Troll/+1 etc on forum posts. Allow sorting by most up-voted forum posts. Hopefully, this could remove some of the "I want this too" messages, as well as allowing Friday Facts to be viewed by the most up-voted suggestions. I had to read through the whole thread about "Friday Facts #250" to find the best ideas and mockups.
dstensnes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Suggestion: Vote Up/Down/Troll etc on forum posts

Postby Koub » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:54 am

dstensnes wrote:I had to read through the whole thread about "Friday Facts #250" to find the best ideas and mockups.

This is good, because you could see the suggestions of all, and make your own opinion.
Vote systems only create a bias towards the 1-2 suggestions that are the most popular at the beginning of ... something.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby eradicator » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:59 am

Koub wrote:
dstensnes wrote:I had to read through the whole thread about "Friday Facts #250" to find the best ideas and mockups.

This is good, because you could see the suggestions of all, and make your own opinion.
Vote systems only create a bias towards the 1-2 suggestions that are the most popular at the beginning of ... something.

Glad to hear that i'm not the only one that thinks voting on everything is a really bad idea. It creates a trend where people write posts go "gain votes", not because they're convinced that what they write is important. And "troll" voting would be quickly abused to remove "unpleasant opinions".
(Reminds me of the "The Oreville" episode "Majority Rule"...)
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Postby Jap2.0 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:26 pm

eradicator wrote:
Koub wrote:

Glad to hear that i'm not the only one that thinks voting on everything is a really bad idea. It creates a trend where people write posts go "gain votes", not because they're convinced that what they write is important. And "troll" voting would be quickly abused to remove "unpleasant opinions".
(Reminds me of the "The Oreville" episode "Majority Rule"...)

Yeah, voting tends to show what the majority agrees with, is overly biased towards the first posts (as opposed to ideas that people have come up with after a through discussion), would probably end up making this somewhat more of a "popularity contest", etc. etc. (Also, you think reading the entirety of FFF 250 is bad? Try FFF 224 and 225. It took me a few weeks. But that's beside the point.) The mods already take care of trolling perfectly fine. I don't even know if this is something phpBB supports.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Return to This Forum