Kudos

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Kudos

Post by <NO_NAME> »

I have started this topic in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33385) but this subforum is a lot better place for it.

First, I'll paste everything here.
<NO_NAME> wrote:This is incredible how much this forum needs a method of voting. Now, the only way to support an idea is to create a new post.
ssilk wrote:First:
@ <NO_NAME>: I forbid polls in this suggestion board, cause they where misused. "Hey I have this cool new idea: Bridges! Do you like my cool idea of bridges? * yes * no...". OK, I exaggerate a bit. :) But such things are useless... :)
OdinYggd wrote:
<NO_NAME> wrote:This is incredible how much this forum needs a method of voting. Now, the only way to support an idea is to create a new post. I basically agree with everyone here besides ssilk. (Sorry.)
I have to disagree with you on this point as well. More than a few beloved indie games have ended up with a horrendous conglomerate of conflicting game mechanics and mismatched feel to the gameplay as a result of the community repeatedly raising their voices to demand certain things be added instead of allowing the devs to express their vision while the player uses mods to tailor it to their liking.

There's also the issue of people producing a half-formed idea without putting any thought into how to implement it or what it would do for the game experience, then tacking a poll to it and practically outsourcing how to form that concept into something usable.
Well, I didn't make myself clear enough. I didn't mean to vote for threads or ideas. I though rather about up-voting individual posts.

Why do I want that? Consider this example:
There is an idea to change something in the game. There are 7 answer to that topic. Six of them agree with idea and one does not. It clearly looks like users generally agree with the idea of that thread.
However, the one negative opinion can make a good point and e.g. show how that idea can break balance of the game. It is even possible that most of users agree with that one answer and not with the six others. At the moment, user have no good tools to show that they agree with a post. The only thing that he can do is to spam the topic with new posts, event if he doesn't have anything new to add and this is not especially healthy for the forum.
Possibility to give kudo (up-vote) to individual post could solve this problem.

OK, but why is it so important to see with which posts users agree? After all, developers will not implement a poor idea only because it seems that people like it. Well, I prepared two answers:
1) You can not change human nature. If think that everyone else disagree with you, you start to wonder if you are right. It is very hard to keep objectivity in that situation.
2) It is frustrating when you see a good remark and seemingly nobody care about it. Especially, when you are who wrote it.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kudos

Post by ssilk »

hm. Well we have here an technical and a social issue.

The technical part I think is solveable. I bet phpbb has some plugins for such kind of voting.
The problem is: it needs to be installed and maintained.

The social part is much more difficult. I wrote it somewhere: Factorio development is no democracy. That wouldn't make sense. And till now this was extremely successful, so I don't se a reason to change that. And it is not so, that there is a lack of ideas. They have ideas for years and they promised to continue work if they like to. So we as community would be stupid to force here anything based on votes.

I think OdinYggd formulated that quite well in the follow-up post
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33385#p211094
OdinYggd wrote:More than a few beloved indie games have ended up with a horrendous conglomerate of conflicting game mechanics and mismatched feel to the gameplay as a result of the community repeatedly raising their voices to demand certain things be added instead of allowing the devs to express their vision while the player uses mods to tailor it to their liking.
And don't think I misunderstood you: you meant to introduce voting for the forum. That works well in big forums and for anonymous sites. But here we are in a relatively closed community. Till now there was nothing that couldn't be managed without technical tools. I prefer talking, not tools. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

I'll just leave that here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53863
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

fechnert
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fechnert »

The best example i can think of at this moment are GitHub issues.

You can vote for the initial post and vote every single comment up and down (and even add certain emojis, but thats unnecessary). Its nice to show that you agree to someone without to quote them or leave a "+1" there.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198066150999.']Image[/url]

Return to “This Forum”