Devtracker

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Devtracker

Post by Engimage »

How about implementing this popular feature? It is there in multiple game forums and I find it really useful! WTB one for Factorio!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Devtracker

Post by ssilk »

When I search for devtracker I found 20 different answers. On the first page.

Please make clear what you understand under a "devtracker". :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

I think he wants to do a post search for the entire "Factorio Staff" group. This is not supported by our forum software, so you would need a custom script to do it.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

DaveMcW wrote:I think he wants to do a post search for the entire "Factorio Staff" group. This is not supported by our forum software, so you would need a custom script to do it.
This

The goal is to find all posts made by Factorio Staff group and read them all in full in one place, while being able to navigate to them in the original threads.
I will give you several links to ones in other games (no ads to them, just examples of the feature)

One of the best I've ever seen (tho game is long time dead) http://forums.firefall.com/community/devtracker/
The beauty of this one is that it lists all dev posts in the thread even if they are old, but it sorts threads by last dev post date.

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php
This example is much easier to implement but it still gets the job done.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

fast navigation / reading of staff postings in a topic

Post by slippycheeze »

In a couple of other game forums, one feature I find very useful is that any posting by staff will have a "next staff post >" link, which will jump directly to the next post by any member of staff.

For large topics with low information density, such as the release/FFF posts about the oil changes, I'm not very interested in the majority of what people have to say. What I am interested in is what the staff had to say, and the context of that.

Ideally, jumping from staff post to staff post in the normal, full view of the topic would do what I wanted. I could skip the noise, but read the context as much as was relevant around each post.

Less ideally, but still better than nothing, would be a way to see only staff posts in a topic.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Thanks Dave, merged topics :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: fast navigation / reading of staff postings in a topic

Post by slippycheeze »

DaveMcW wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:25 am
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=43141
thanks. I'll add that to my mental list of terms to search for when I'm looking for this concept. :)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

The "search user's posts" thing for a user can help a little (in some occasions), except that markup is completely screw up in searches. Like, quotes show up as part of the search without being marked as quotes, except for the 20% of the time they are. So, that can't really be used for a good overview of their actual posts...
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “This Forum”