SB Plays Factorio (Alpha 0.11.22) (Previously 0.11.17/0.11.21)

Post about Let's plays and streams.
sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

SB Plays Factorio (Alpha 0.11.22) (Previously 0.11.17/0.11.21)

Post by sbroadbent »

It's been a while since I've been back to Factorio, but I did decide to return to it, as part of a move to essentially becoming a full time Youtuber. The channel went live two weeks ago on March 10th with my first video being Factorio. This is the first time I've done this sort of thing, so my commentary is rough at times, and possibly painful to watch ;)

I have found though that after doing these 23 or so videos, that it is geting easier to do, but by no means perfect. Due to some technical issues with my HDMI not picking up the sound, the first Episode of Factorio has no in-game audio.

The Factorio playlist can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... OMClZdwYBA

My channel isn't just about Factorio, and my goal was to play a variety of different games including First Person Shooters, driving games, simulations, among others. I currently have 3 other series that I'm working on, including Test Drive Unlimited 2 (11 videos to date), Prison Architect (2 videos to date), and Far Cry (with a possibly side series called "SB Fails Far Cry" because I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and I may die a lot more than I succeed). I also plan to jump into Cities Skylines, but I haven't had a chance to.

In addition, part of my Youtube channel will be to participate in multiplayer gaming with viewers. If for example, one of the games I play has a multiplayer or online component (such as Factorio!) I'd be interested in getting you in on the action. All you need is a reasonable quality microphone, and I suppose a decent internet connection and you too can be part of it.

Unfortunately last week I caught a cold (starting with a sore throat, moving onto a head cold/runny nose, and throw in a small lung infection), which has so far lost me 5 days of potential recording time (Thursday to Monday). While I had some videos that were recorded and ready to go, as of Monday, those have all been posted.

Before I posted here about starting a Let's Play, I wanted to get some content up so that viewers could have something to watch, and know that this is just the beginning of my channel SB Gaming.
Last edited by sbroadbent on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: SB Plays Factorio (Alpha 0.11.17)

Post by sbroadbent »

Haven't been back to check on the forums. The series is going strong with 23 videos currently posted (7 videos were up when I originally posted). I've pushed back against the biters with the traditional turret creep... what else can you do until you get power armor and a fully upgraded combat shotgun? ;)

I'm still running Factorio 0.11.17. Yes, I'm naturally slow to move on to the next alpha release, although I see they've released 0.11.21, and are fully working on 0.12. I suppose I should update, though I'll note that I have at least 5 more episodes on the way that were recorded in 0.11.17 before I switch over to a new Alpha Version.

Check out the series, and if you're interested into getting into a Factorio Multiplayer game, I'm interested in starting up a Multiplayer Factorio series for my Youtube Channel.
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: SB Plays Factorio (Alpha 0.11.17)... Soon to be Alpha 0.11.21)

Post by sbroadbent »

The series continues to trudge along with daily releases and 27 videos currently in the playlist to date. Thursday's episode (ep28) will finally mark the last of the 0.11.17 episodes. Friday will see the first of the 0.11.21 episodes with more to come in the future.

Episodes go live 2:30pm Eastern Standard Time (North America) durinng the week, and 10:00am on the weekends.

For other time zones:
London, UK: 7pm/3pm
Pacific Coast, North America: 11am/7am
Melbourne, Australia: 4am/midnight

Thank you to all that are watching.
Last edited by sbroadbent on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: SB Plays Factorio (Alpha 0.11.17/0.11.21)

Post by sbroadbent »

The series continues with 52 episodes published to date with more to come on an every second day schedule. Episode 52 went out today, with ep53 coming on Friday.

Action against the biters has risen to the next level. We've cleared out the biters along the coast, and secured ourselves some much needed Iron Ore, as our original deposit was beginning to deplete. Combat Robotics is on the horizon, with Episode 53 seeing production of Defenders, Distractors and Destroyers. We also have Power Armor MK2 to ensure we are well protected against the onslaught.

SB Plays Factorio will probably remain in version 0.11.21 until completion, whenever that may be. There has been no specific end goal set, although I am open to suggestions.
Last edited by sbroadbent on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: SB Plays Factorio (Alpha 0.11.22) (Previously 0.11.17/0.11.21)

Post by sbroadbent »

Episode 56, to be published today, pushes SB Plays Factorio up to version 0.11.22. Part of this reason is because SB Gaming will be producing a Multiplayer Factorio series to be announced shortly, and we will be utilizing Alpha 0.11.22.

Episode 56 sees SB Gaming start to use Destroyer and Distractor bots to questionable effect. SB was rather disappointed that Combat Robotics starts off so poor, and you must spend a ton of time and resources to bring it up to a half decent level. Thankfully, a new supply of iron is within reach, and will have an overall positive effect on the factory.

Also, check out Negative Root as he prepares to take on the biters in an upcoming Factorio Fixit episode, featuring the world from this series. My understanding is that there has already been an episode recorded that will never see the light of day, primarily due to a large number of deaths on his part. Can he do any better, or can he handle... biter world :D
ImageImage

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

sbroadbent wrote:My understanding is that there has already been an episode recorded that will never see the light of day, primarily due to a large number of deaths on his part.
:lol: this is supposed to be part of the magic of youtube...

I'm actually thinking seriously of releasing it. Goes to show what happens when you walk in too aggressively.

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

-root wrote:
sbroadbent wrote:My understanding is that there has already been an episode recorded that will never see the light of day, primarily due to a large number of deaths on his part.
:lol: this is supposed to be part of the magic of youtube...

I'm actually thinking seriously of releasing it. Goes to show what happens when you walk in too aggressively.
I think if it's entertaining, it's worth releasing. I actually got about 45 minutes worth of content that were two attempts at recording episode 56, but I failed to realize that my decision early in the series to set the auto save interval to 30 minutes was a bad idea ;)

As much as I get annoyed by the auto saves that pause the game, they can actually be valuable :)
ImageImage

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

As of July 11th, SB Plays Factorio has reached 71 Episodes (technically 73 as one episode was a 3 episode in 1 Timelapse...). So far, most of what has occurred in recent episodes has been combat, where we continue to push against the biters. While there is still more production that we could do, our focus has been on expanding our train network, and in order to do that, combat is inevitable. While I'd like to continue the series, I am beginning to feel like one episode after another of nothing but combat (not to mention trying to find a name for Combat Episode #whatever is not as interesting as it could otherwise. With that said, SB Plays Factorio has been ongoing for nearly 4 months straight, mostly on an every second day sort of schedule.

I am considering wrapping up the series, but before I do that, I would be interested to know what viewers would like to see if this series were to continue. Let me know here, in a private message, or on one of the videos, although with that said, I unfortunately do not routinely get a lot of time to browse the forums...

Anyway, there will be a bit of a break in between Episode 71 and a future Episode 72. If SB Plays Factorio returns, it will be on July 19th. In it's place, I'm running a short 3-part series on a simple and minimalistic puzzle game called Hook.

I thank you all that have watched past episodes.
ImageImage

Return to “Videos”