[YouTube] Colonel Failure's Languid Exploits with Automation

Post about Let's plays and streams.
ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [YouTube] Colonel Failure's Languid Exploits with Automa

Post by ColonelFailure »

Well now, I've given you some time off so let's hope you used the opportunity productively.

Those of you who wait for a pithy intro to the latest gripping installments rather than subscribing missed a couple of new videos I didn't quite get around to promoting,

Episode 37 : Fun and frolics with metal routing
Episode 38 : Research research research

If you're already up to speed or are more of a "skip to the end" kinda guy, then I invite you to check out the latest thrilling moments.

Episode 39 : You're going to need better smart inserter production

Episode 40 will be up tomorrow and then I'm trying a slightly different approach to things. I know! Pretty exciting stuff.

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

You wait for one slow-paced, rambling Factorio video to come along and four turn up in rapid succession! Still, there's no such thing as too much Factorio right?

Another milestone upon us as the build sails into its 40th episode and the reworking of the factory is done.... for now. To celebrate I'm putting in a few extra hours for the next episode to try out something a bit different. Sounds exciting, and maybe it will be, but that's not to say you shouldn't watch this one first. No really, go give it a look unless you've got something better to do.

Episode 40 : Sorting out conveyors shouldn't take this long, and yes, you will need more fast/smart inserters

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

There are never enough alien artifacts for the number of purple flasks you need, right? This leaves a situation where you have to go show the bitey little bleeders who's boss on an increasingly frequent basis, and that can get a little repetitive.

Especially if you take on the aliens quite slowly.

Especially if you then expect anyone to watch you doing it.

Unless you show the whole thing at high speed.

Episode 41 : Smiting the hoard with fast forward held down

Ric
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ric »

ColonelFailure wrote:There are never enough alien artifacts for the number of purple flasks you need, right? This leaves a situation where you have to go show the bitey little bleeders who's boss on an increasingly frequent basis, and that can get a little repetitive.

Especially if you take on the aliens quite slowly.

Especially if you then expect anyone to watch you doing it.

Unless you show the whole thing at high speed.

Episode 41 : Smiting the hoard with fast forward held down
One word, TANK! :D
"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, it's half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice the size it needs to be"

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

Ric wrote:One word, TANK! :D
Too right. I am, however committed to completing this 0.9.8 playthrough before indulging in such luxury combat devices. Needless to say, I can't wait :)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Destroyer bots. 30+ and some decent shields (2 MK2 modules or so) and you can practically walk into almost any base, really dense big worms could still kill you though.

Mass distractor bots. One capsule spawned directly on top of a biter nest will usually kill the nest.
Constant spamming of distractors, and you can easily kite any nest. Just make sure you're spamming in front of yourself when nearing the base, to draw the worms' fire.

Personally, I hate putting anything directly next to exterior walls, especially once Big biters are spawning, since it makes the 2nd line of walls useless. I make up for that by just making the interior of the laser turret box filled with more turrets.

Last but not least, the time-dilation (as you called it) is a good thing if all you're doing is clearing bases. I'm in agreement with you on the preferential gameplay. I'd much rather be building bases than hunting natives.

Oh, when you do upgrade to .11.x, watch out for spitters. No me gusta.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

Destroyer bots will be making their debut in the very near future (tomorrow). I've tried them out and they are my homeboys.

Version 1 of the robot-constructed-laser-box (patent pending) is working without incident so far, but I concur about leaving a space between walls and turrets, but to date it hasn't proved necessary. I'm sure the error of my ways will become abundantly clear.

That is still to come. For now there is the altogether more riveting experience that is Episode 42 - many capers with iron mining in which yours truly mutters about splitters, conveyors, trains, signalling and repeatedly refers to miners as harvesters. Good times.

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

Start your week with a hearty breakfast, some brisk exercise and a brand new Factorio video. Alternatively, skip the first two, have takeout for dinner and still watch a brand new Factorio video.

In this satisfying installment the art of the turret creep is further enhanced by use of blueprints and logistic robots. This will make you happy.

Episode 40-something : The blueprint of death

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

As usual, quite enjoyable. :)
Destroyers are far more effective once you've gotten a few levels of research improving their numbers. Even the limit you can get without using Science 4s is much more effective than base number of bots.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

I've entirely taken onboard your Destroyer/Distractor suggestion from previously and all I have to say is.... Episode 44 ;)

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

As if by magic, THIS IS EPISODE 44.

I've made quite a bit of progress since episode 40-something, and spared you the trauma of sitting through it so we start the day with a stroll around the compound before I declare myself IRONMAN and thrash several alien infestations witless using capsules of many nations.

Rejoice! We're nearly done!

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

Not tuned in lately? Well, here's the news - rocket defense is being researched, the alien scum are getting rowdy and I'm not making anything like the number of advanced circuits needed to adequately progress. In a special throwback edition of the Languid Exploits With Automation witness the majesty of reworking advanced circuit production with no planning whatsoever.

Episode 45 : Oh balls, I'll have to do that again

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

You know, there comes a point where you long for the time when every new piece of research allows for bigger and better things to be constructed. Where that last red flask will see a quantum leap in your production capabilities, where those handy handy logistic droids aren't doing all the heavy lifting for you. That time is coming around real soon, because this is the penultimate installment.

Episode 46 : Rocket defense is really rather expensive.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I do enjoy a player's first reaction on seeing the cost of actually building Rocket Defense, especially when they have an idea of how damn hard/slow it is to build L3 modules.

Also, congrats on being the first to feature in my signature. :P

ColonelFailure
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ColonelFailure »

Ha! I feel both honoured and privileged at the same time.

Anyway, the end is nigh. We've no more road to travel. The die has been cast. The buck has been stopped. The [THIS] has been [THAT].

Episode 47 : The In No Way Anticlimactic Grand Finale

Return to “Videos”