[YouTube] Factorio Base Tours

Post about Let's plays and streams.
gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

[YouTube] Factorio Base Tours

Post by gepwin »

First episode of the Factorio Base Tours. This episode features a base submitted by UndeadNightOrc.
Watch the Tour

If you want to be featured on an episode of Factorio Base Tours send your save file to gepwin@argumentsofnothing.com

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [YouTube] Factorio Base Tours

Post by sillyfly »

I want to give a word of advice - I think it would be very helpful if you turn on alternative display (aka detailed display) by clicking Alt - this way everyone can see at a glance what each assembly machine is producing.

Also - it might be helpful if you took just a couple of minutes to look at the base beforehand so you know where everything is :P

One last thing - and this may only apply to me - I find your resolution too high - it's hard for me to see the fine details on my small screen. But I guess if there are many viewers with larger screens/resolutions that would be better for them.

Anyway - keep making them videos :)

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

sillyfly wrote:I want to give a word of advice - I think it would be very helpful if you turn on alternative display (aka detailed display) by clicking Alt - this way everyone can see at a glance what each assembly machine is producing.

Also - it might be helpful if you took just a couple of minutes to look at the base beforehand so you know where everything is :P

One last thing - and this may only apply to me - I find your resolution too high - it's hard for me to see the fine details on my small screen. But I guess if there are many viewers with larger screens/resolutions that would be better for them.

Anyway - keep making them videos :)
Thanks so much for the input. I tend to like to turn detailed display on and off a lot in my videos, I like the extra info but I also like to be able to see the games graphics :) so as always I'm experimenting to find the right mix.

I am very interested to hear peoples opinions on weather I should look at the base before hand, or have my initial reactions, so I will put you down for the "look before" and hope for more input :)

As for the resolution, I do apologize for that. I know that some people have problems seeing the high resolution with this game. Unfortunately it is a limitation of the recording software I use. I record at my native resolution and I did some experiments with lower resolution recording, but that generally involves my recorder trying to down sample from my large screen, making the game look completely terrible. So given the options I would rather have my resolution too high than too low and fuzzy.

Neoxx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Neoxx »

Look at them before you record, but write down your initial reactions if you can't remember them for the video. It can make your videos more stream lined, and you might catch stuff you might otherwise miss while trying to talk at the same time you discover the map. I'd suggest not spending too much time, because that "oh wow, I didn't see this before!" moments you have can be fun for the viewer as well.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

Factorio Base Tour episode 2. Featuring a base by OBAMA MCLAMA

Watch it here

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Yea, those random pipes were temporary walls because i ran out. But i have tested it as a gate and it works perfectly!!!

look> http://puu.sh/bpBur/5e28a6217e.png

I have seen a single small biter get in between the gap, but then he started to attack the wall.

I think for now, its a pretty safe gate. I think the pathing for the biters just doesn't allow them to get into it.

I wonder if anyone else has stumbled onto this
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

Factorio Base Tour episode 3. Featuring The Romanesque Factory base by sbroadbent.

Watch it here

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Yea, those random pipes were temporary walls because i ran out. But i have tested it as a gate and it works perfectly!!!
Amazing, I love that idea. It reminds me of all the Minecraft mob proof doors. I'm definitely going to be using it untell real gates are implemented.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

Factorio Base Tour episode 4. A base by GewaltSam.

Watch it here

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

New Base Tour with a base by HeilTec. Nicely put together and compact base.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

Thankyou ever so much for a nice nostalgia tour of my old base. :D
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

HeilTec wrote:Thankyou ever so much for a nice nostalgia tour of my old base. :D
Glad you enjoyed it. Never really occurred to me that I would be nostalgia fuel for people, its a nice way to think about the show now. :)

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

if you are interested, you can take my save file from here, I already uploaded it.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

Thanks Krux, that base looks amazing I'll definitely be doing a tour. :)

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

New Base Tour this base submitted by Penrif is a 10 hour speed run factory.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

Penrif has indeed created an utterly impressive base. To do this in a speedrun must be incredibly demanding.
The circuit factory (in the SE) is a masterpiece. Setting up groups of the dearly loved 3 to 2 factories with dedicated resource processing is an idea worth pursuing.

(Great artist copy - a genius steals) :mrgreen:
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

HeilTec wrote:Penrif has indeed created an utterly impressive base. To do this in a speedrun must be incredibly demanding.
The circuit factory (in the SE) is a masterpiece. Setting up groups of the dearly loved 3 to 2 factories with dedicated resource processing is an idea worth pursuing.

(Great artist copy - a genius steals) :mrgreen:
Ya I would recommend anyone check out this base for some cool inspiration. (Also thanks for adding the link to Penrif's profile, I had trouble finding it.)

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

That is a very cool base indeed, I may steal some thoughts from it as well (although I don't aspire to do a speedrun) :)

As for the train vs pipe question, I can think of one situation where a train would very likely be faster to put down than a pipe: if he's using the rail layer mod, it'll literally take 2 minutes to get that entire stretch of track through the woods.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Penrif
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Penrif »

Thanks for the tour gepwin, well done!

Happy to answer any questions on how I set things up on that run. It was a couple games ago but I remember it well, as it's my best default settings run yet~

It was wondered in the video how much of it was designed for logistics robots, since it did use them vigorously. Robot tech is one of my earliest priorities, so most of what you see as far as robot usage was placed down originally. One major exception to that is inputs into the blue science factory - since you need blue tech to get logistics network researched, those were wooden boxes before they were requester chests. Easy enough to ferry things around yourself for a little bit.

It was also mentioned that maybe the greenchip belt fed the red factories directly at some point, which unfortunately isn't true. Before my early-game stores of greenchips got depleted, a helluva lot of robots were flying around with green chips to feed all those reds. In games since when I've used the main bus strategy I've started having a green belt on the bus for this purpose.

As for the oil train - the main reasoning to use train instead of a long pipe is that I still had occasional biter attacks coming from that direction. I absolutely did not want them to hit a solid wall of pipes and take a bite out of it, nor did I want to have to defend the whole thing. I could have done underground pipes the whole way but that's a huge pain in the butt, made worse by running so fast ;) With those factors in hand, the minor difference in material requirement becomes plainly not worth it - we're talking late game here, a bit of stone and iron is no big deal.

gepwin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gepwin »

New Base Tour is live. This base is by Dexecuter18. Take a look at his amazing defense set up.

Return to “Videos”