[YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post about Let's plays and streams.
-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post by -root »

LordFedora wrote:It took us 4 people in tanks, with 100 tank shells, >= 100 repair packs, almost 3 stacks of bullets and ~130 distracter caps each to wipe the last onion layer of bases
The same ones I was wiping out by myself? :lol:

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

not the same ones, the ones that enabled me to build the circuit outpost, we got ~500 artifacts (only ~130 made them home however)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

LordFedora wrote:not the same ones, the ones that enabled me to build the circuit outpost, we got ~500 artifacts (only ~130 made them home however)
Ah right. I feel like thats a really sad story. Over 4 of us marched out. Only one made it back alive :cry: .

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

We started with 5 tanks, built 3 during the siege, and ended with 3...

The best moment was when one of us got away with 2 hp on the tank, only for a medium spitter walk up, boop the turret, and then walk away...

Canyew
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Canyew »

Hello -root. Over at my post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7323 someone suggested to contact you for some help. I was wondering if you would like to do a multiplayer on my factory to help me figure out how to streamline my factory, fix it up. Improve my skills. I am pretty new, about 2 or 3 weeks old but I feel I really grasp the game well. I just don't know a lot of the tricks and how to do certain things yet. (I still have yet to figure out rails and logistics bots) I am off this monday and tuesday from work so if thats the best time to do a stream let me know (12-22 and 12-23)

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Canyew wrote:Hello -root. Over at my post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7323 someone suggested to contact you for some help. I was wondering if you would like to do a multiplayer on my factory to help me figure out how to streamline my factory, fix it up. Improve my skills. I am pretty new, about 2 or 3 weeks old but I feel I really grasp the game well. I just don't know a lot of the tricks and how to do certain things yet. (I still have yet to figure out rails and logistics bots) I am off this monday and tuesday from work so if thats the best time to do a stream let me know (12-22 and 12-23)

Just remember:

-Corners look nicer than splitters
-Lights are worthless, just turn your gamma up
-Put inserters opposite each other off by 1 square so they don't block one another
-Use just one line for copper and iron and build everything off that, you can always upgrade the belt speed when it gets long
- :twisted:

Did I miss anything -root?

I think I covered the basics, he probably doesn't need a fix it now ;)

[I sent him here, just thought I would have some fun in your thread]

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Canyew wrote:stuff
I'm keen. I don't have internet at the moment, so can't MP. But I'm keen to do it next year when i'm online again.

Piranha wrote: -Corners look nicer than splitters
-Lights are worthless, just turn your gamma up
-Put inserters opposite each other off by 1 square so they don't block one another
-Use just one line for copper and iron and build everything off that, you can always upgrade the belt speed when it gets long
:lol: You missed one:

- Put copper cables on a belt and try to run everything off it.

Thanks for the referral, when do I get to do one of your factories?

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Hmm maybe in the new year, I'll have to look through some of my old save that I never finished.. Almost done the map I'm playing now, maybe my next game I'll max some random settings, fail hard then submit it :P

..or maybe I'll make a game purposely to mess with you, how does no iron or copper on a belt sound? Couple that with 3 single lane belts feeding 1 side of an assembly machine? or how about only using burner inserters?* This is intriguing me now.. haha how awful could one make a base.. should I really be that cruel though?

*the only using burner inserters actually sounds like an interesting challenge, every belt would have to be half coal.. what a mess

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Piranha wrote:haha how awful could one make a base.. should I really be that cruel though?
Seriously, if you want to completely ruin a base, I'll try and fixit :D I invite the challenge :mrgreen:

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Burners only refuel themselves when they are holding coal, and they only hold coal out the reviving side wants coal

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

I beg to differ...

Edit: I just realized I posted the solution if half and half belts wouldn't work.. let me go test original idea
Attachments
burners.gif
burners.gif (127.35 KiB) Viewed 5296 times

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Tested the original idea

1. Nothing Fueled
2. 4 red circle inserters get 1 piece of wood to start
3. wood and copper put on belts
4. the fueled inserters grab wood and fuel themselves
5. the 2 remaining inserters are fueled by the burner inserters
6. working like a charm

Tried to make it fail (cut fuel out for a moment then restarted it) and this happened..
Attachments
failburner.gif
failburner.gif (132.25 KiB) Viewed 5294 times

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

So to recap:

-the half belts would probably work if fuel never had a stoppage but may fail if holding an item other than fuel when it runs out.
-using burner inserters to insert fuel into the burner inserters pulling items works and actually would create a nice safety backlog by the looks of it.
--also you can limit the backlog with limiting how much the box could hold

This idea grew to much, looks like I might have to make this messed up base after all..
I'll probably start it in the new year -root... gives you time to prepare haha.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Burner inserters will being looking for fuel as soon as they don't have a piece in reserve, and otherwise acting as normal.
Being that there are a couple dozen item movements per piece of wood, and they don't burn fuel when not working, it takes a rather large interruption in the fuel supply to kill them.
If interruptions are likely/expected, use coal or solid fuel to give them a longer window to find fuel in.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

n9103 wrote:Burner inserters will being looking for fuel as soon as they don't have a piece in reserve, and otherwise acting as normal.
Being that there are a couple dozen item movements per piece of wood, and they don't burn fuel when not working, it takes a rather large interruption in the fuel supply to kill them.
If interruptions are likely/expected, use coal or solid fuel to give them a longer window to find fuel in.
Interesting.. I used wood for the test because it burns faster and purposely waited for one to run out.. although since this idea is to make it a messy difficult base to 'fix' maybe i'll toss in a bit of both designs..

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I find that the last boiler is a good candidate for burner inserters, due to the seldom movements needed, easy access to fuel, and desirability for a fail-safe fuel inserter for power generation.
If burner miners weren't so inefficient in power use, I might use one of them to trickle coal in a similar fashion. As is, they're only useful for digging up tiny patches in places I don't feel like running power.
While burner buildings are generally worthless immediately after electricity is built, there are some niche cases where they can be useful.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Well I had some time tonight so I decided to mess around.. I just got oil processing but I feel like this would be the fastest/easiest fix it ever.. for attempting to make a difficult base to fix I actually made a reasonably effective base.. albeit is it messy and only has 1 green and 1 red feeding 1 lab :P

Maybe if my challenge to you is to get blue science running but stay with only using burner inserters it could be quite a challenge..

I don't know, if you want to look at it I can send the file..

I think I will keep messing around though, maybe a little more advanced/ a little less coal

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Took me a moment to work out where the hell this thread had ended up and how on earth it got there. I understand now :D I won't be back on deck for another week or so Piranha, keep playing around with it and give me a real challenge.

Also, remember, its factorio fixit. Which means that i "fix" factories. Burner inserters are real easy to fix ;) :mrgreen:

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

unless there's no iron or no copper, and no spare inserters, and most of the burners dried up before they could get more fuel... :twisted:

ola_fredriksson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ola_fredriksson »

I have a factory which is a challenge to me I have a few issues:
- I am running out of resources in initial base
- Biters keep killing my bots
can you help?

Return to “Videos”