[YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post about Let's plays and streams.
Jetlaw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [YouTube] Factorio Fixit

Post by Jetlaw »

Hahaha. I'll fix it when I get the save back.

The entire time I was screaming at my screen "Just place the solar panels and then put the pole in the middle" when he was trying to figure out the build from the forums.

If I can mash up blue science quickly I can push towards... Is it substations? The things that go in the middle of your Solar Panel/Accumulator cross that he initially tried?

Will probably streamline the factory a bunch too now I'm a little less pressed for time (I'll just make sure the perimiter is spammed with laser turrets XD) or alternatively turret-creep some biter bases nearby.

Alternatively I may be able to sustain my entire base off primarily solar and bring that massive pollution down by cutting the supply to some of my steam engines, as I think I'm basically annoying every biter in a 5 mile radius of my factory.

But -Root did a fantastic job prioritising what my base needed to not be completely overrun. Many props.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Solar fields are not my forte... As you can well see. Normally I don't make solar until after I have bots and then they handle that stuff for me. Because of the bind that Jetlaw was in, it was more important to start working on solar before the bots.

Jetlaw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jetlaw »

-root wrote:Solar fields are not my forte... As you can well see. Normally I don't make solar until after I have bots and then they handle that stuff for me. Because of the bind that Jetlaw was in, it was more important to start working on solar before the bots.
It's fine, I really appreciate the time you spent.

In your expert opinion, how many fully fed blue science facilities would saturate my 20-lab setup? It seems almost crazy that 5 red and green over-saturated it so much, will blue be the same?

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

Each higher level of science pack takes more time to be crafted (except alien science packs) so technically if you want equal production for all science you should have 1 more assembler for each tier. That being said practically speaking if you have constant production 4 blue science assemblers gets research going plenty fast enough. It's also pretty resource intensive so unless you make sure to set strict limits on production you probably shouldn't build too many more than that.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Jetlaw wrote:In your expert opinion

Oh. You're talking to me?!

Saturation of your labs depends on the research itself as the research time varies as you go up the tree. Generally somewhere between 6 to 12 AM3's seems to work alright. You want to put some sort of smart limit on the factories though and ensure they don't over produce. SP3 is fairly expensive stuff.

Factorio Wiki
Research is performed in Labs.
Every technology has a certain amount of units that are needed for it to be researched, the logistics 1 technology in the example requires 20 units.
Every unit requires a certain combination of science packs, these have to be created and transported into the lab before it can start the research.
When the laboratory has all the needed ingredients, it starts researching one unit, the time to research the unit varies from technology to technology.

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

5 reds, 6 greens, 12 blues and 1 suped up purple science assemblers is the ratio to produce an even amount of science per type. Do have all of the same level assemblers though.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

Marbles wrote:5 reds, 6 greens, 12 blues and 1 suped up purple science assemblers is the ratio to produce an even amount of science per type. Do have all of the same level assemblers though.
Indeed!

Taking the crafting time as measure is the way to get results that matter.

But - The Research time (which varies) and number of science packs of each tier (varies too) can create bottlenecks at 'unexpected' points in the research tree.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Marbles wrote:5 reds, 6 greens, 12 blues and 1 suped up purple science assemblers is the ratio to produce an even amount of science per type. Do have all of the same level assemblers though.
I didn't know about this ratio. THanks for posting :)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Playlist

Had another three episodes go up just recently. In episodes 64 through to 66, I play in a factory by Colonel Will. Probably one of the more interesting fixits I've ever done :lol:

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

I very much like the direction your tutorials are going. I'm all about clear, efficient and modular factories. Looking forward to the next one.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Marbles wrote:I very much like the direction your tutorials are going. I'm all about clear, efficient and modular factories. Looking forward to the next one.
Tutorials or fixits? :lol: :lol:

Tutorial thread is here

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

Ah yes, I was talking about your tutorial but in the wrong thread <.<

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Ah, no worries :D In other news, couple more fixits to come and then i'll need some more! If anyone has been thinking about sending in a factory, please do :) I'd like some more to play around in.

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

I'm planning on sending mine in, would like to multiplay it and see what you can improve on it. It's very much endgame though, but that might be an interesting scenario for once.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

I'm playing a co-op with my roommate, and although we technically won (rocket defense errors when we tried to activate it (T_T))

if you want me to send you our factory (it's horrid and we both know it, i'm a Computer Engineer and he's an Industrial Engineer)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Marbles wrote:I'm planning on sending mine in, would like to multiplay it and see what you can improve on it. It's very much endgame though, but that might be an interesting scenario for once.
This is what I've been wanting to do with Factorio Fixit since MP came out. We'll have to tee something up.
LordFedora wrote:I'm playing a co-op with my roommate, and although we technically won (rocket defense errors when we tried to activate it (T_T))

if you want me to send you our factory (it's horrid and we both know it, i'm a Computer Engineer and he's an Industrial Engineer)
Engineers? Really? :mrgreen:

Please send it in.

rootnegative at gmail dot com. Get cracking, I need entertainment for tonight :lol:

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Excellent :D I've got three fixits to do. I"m planning on doing them this weekend and posting throughout next week :mrgreen:

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

:shock: so the fixits are rolling in thick and fast now! smashed through a bunch the other night and i've already got another 4 or 5 waiting to be played! :lol: that's so awesome.

Anyway, here is the playlist as a reminder:

Click Me!

We're up to episode 67 at the moment. Episodes 68-70 will be released consecutively over the next couple of days.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

And the fixits keep chuggling along. So much fun these :D

Playlist

Up to episode 78 now. With 3 to be uploaded and 2 to be played! remember, if you would like me to play your factory, send it through to me.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Now the the post was updated, i can defend ourselves...

It took us 4 people in tanks, with 100 tank shells, >= 100 repair packs, almost 3 stacks of bullets and ~130 distracter caps each to wipe the last onion layer of bases, and we couldn't get them back on (one got suspended, and WoD happened to the other)

so we defended...

between my upload and your vid, my roommate did up upgrade to full suit and just walked though the rest of the bases though...

Return to “Videos”