The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by FishSandwich »

Next episode is up!

Please, Infectum! Please! - Factorio - The Hydra Dilemma #45

Thanks for watching, enjoy. :)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

:lol: nice title.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

FKODgaming wrote:Basically recorded an entire episode before i got the joke.
I wouldn't have blamed you if you just passed it back to Fish to fix. I love being at the end of a practical joke but that one went a bit too far.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

@fish:
  • If you want to make a
    module v2
    , do you really think a
    module v2
    is needed to make it?
  • If you want to make more
    normal circuits
    , why do you build more assemblers to make
    advanced circuits
    that would suck out the
    normal circuits
    even more? Specially if the existing assemblers do not put out
    advanced circuits
    just because they have no
    normal inserters
    in the requesters (only
    plastic
    there). By building the second
    advanced circuits area
    you deepened the trouble for
    normal inserters
    dramaticly because at the moment there is no chance for
    normal circuits
    to be more produced than consumed.
  • If you want to give the network some stuff, why do you throw it in the requester for the assembler it is made in instead of the provider?
@all:
  • it is really some shame that even after over 40 episodes there are still
    parts of the wall unprotected - not just low protected, unprotected. And I also remember a part of the wall that isn't even build yet. Leaving a factory behind that is just one lucky biter away from total breakdown of production or even a complete destruction is really careless. And you have to go out soon. So please, protect the walls: Turrets and roboports everywhere. We don't even speak about a second layer of wall. But just the basic protection.
    So, Please @all (based on fishs title)
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Episode 46 - Connecting the Dots

http://youtu.be/gXmOy_qQypk

Improving our purple potion production, and fixing some shortages in the factory.

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

JoshLittle wrote:it is really some shame that even after over 40 episodes there are still...
Given that there are 5 people splitting the 40+ something episodes that's around 8 or so per person, everyone is going in blind not knowing what anyone else has done until after they have played, and everyone feels compelled to be productive with something in their limited time available, that the little things often get missed, because they are left to others to fix. Naturally, small problems only get fixed when the small problem becomes a big problem, such as Stone Brick clogging up the Copper line.

The Defenses will only become a big problem when a player is forced to deal with them, such as an immediate attack.
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

sbroadbent wrote:
Given that there are 5 people splitting the 40+ something episodes that's around 8 or so per person, everyone is going in blind not knowing what anyone else has done until after they have played, and everyone feels compelled to be productive with something in their limited time available, that the little things often get missed, because they are left to others to fix. Naturally, small problems only get fixed when the small problem becomes a big problem, such as Stone Brick clogging up the Copper line.

The Defenses will only become a big problem when a player is forced to deal with them, such as an immediate attack.
I found a couple of places that we were getting attacked at. Hopefully it should be okay for a bit.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Sorry infectum, but this was really a facepalm episode :(
(you can see the spoiler to see why it was)
facepalms and other trees

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

Seriously, how many times do we have to ask you to stop telling the Hydras what to do? Like paragraphs and every detail?

Sit back and enjoy the hilarity. If you wanna give gameplay tips, fine. But quit writing walls of text with every single thing they're doing wrong. Because they're doing two things right: having fun and entertaining us for free. Why must you insist on more?

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

_aD wrote:Seriously, how many times do we have to ask you to stop telling the Hydras what to do? Like paragraphs and every detail?

Sit back and enjoy the hilarity. If you wanna give gameplay tips, fine. But quit writing walls of text with every single thing they're doing wrong. Because they're doing two things right: having fun and entertaining us for free. Why must you insist on more?
I can only imagine what is in that spoiler... :roll:

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

_aD wrote:Sit back and enjoy the hilarity. If you wanna give gameplay tips, fine. But quit writing walls of text with every single thing they're doing wrong. Because they're doing two things right: having fun and entertaining us for free. Why must you insist on more?
I agree with this! I totally understand JoshLittle's desire to teach people about what they can do better in their factories. If you need hints to improve your play style, the best thing you can do is record a vid and ask JoshLittle for comments, then start a discussion about why you did it the way you did and why Josh thinks it's not the best way.

I do admit I also send comments about these little things like fast corners etc. from time to time. I try to keep it at a max of 2 paragraphs though. It's probably related to my background in computer science and mistaking factorio vids for code reviews. :D When looking at code, it's important to get rid of needlessly complicated things and stuff that could be optimized and simplified at the same time. It helps with maintaining the code in the future, and maintaining code is much more difficult than maintaining a factorio factory, so it's really quite important. Understanding code by looking at it can take quite some time, so it's important to express code as easy as possible. In factorio, on the other hand, it's not that bad. Factory optimization and fixing is not difficult, no matter how "special" the layout is, as long as it works. It's easy to recognize which parts of a factory do what by visual inspection. You can alwas add a completely new factory and merge that output into the old build. Or build a completely new factory. And it's not like the hydra dilemma players use stupid builds where they have to manually put stuff from factory A to factory B. Not everything is "best practice", but generally it's quite sane! Still, sometimes I feel that vulcan-like desire to tell the player that I don't think what he did is quite logical.

For example, when -root
added splitters to the iron input of the new battery factory so each of the chemical plants gets the same amount of iron input. Why? Maybe he thought it's unfair that the first chemical plant must do all the work and the last chemical plant in that line does nothing? :D
. However, I did not post this because… Why care? It's just 3 splitters that are not strictly required but they show a nice setup that could be important in other situations. And since these comments often sound like "your vid was so bad, you shouldn't do vids!", which is absolutely not the case, I simply kept this to myself. Well, until now. :P

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

Blackence wrote:I do admit I also send comments about these little things like fast corners etc. from time to time
Just don't mention the barrel! I mentioned the barrel earlier, but I think I got away with it. *wipes brow

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

that freaking barrel... :evil:

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

The funny thing is: For me these are just the short "gameplay tips"
No one saw yet what "long" means in my perspective :mrgreen:

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Episode 47, More Shortages! is now live! Enjoy!
Image Image Image

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

No coal in the network and a shortage of petro. But, there is plenty of solid fuel that runs directly over the coal field to feed the boilers at a loss of 50% on efficiency so that they can produce electricity for the electric furnaces. Always fun and entertaining! Well done Xterminator! Although I think a car is in order for further escapades - (wasn't there one made?-TIC)

Love your "Jesus!" moment.

Definitely want poison for the "Makers."

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

It's not that nobody told them about it :mrgreen:
About why we see the problems in a time when
plastic
is heavily needed, I already wrote.

Three little things, I hope they are gameplay-based enough ;)
  • The positions in the toolbelt can be fixed to a special item. I they are, the background is slightly darker. They can be changed. But it makes sense (and I think -root is the only one who used the fixing yet) to have deconstruction in the toolbelt (ok, in the Hydra Dilemma it is a bit stricter).
  • If the output of an assembler is blocked (full output chest, limited smart outputer), then the seemingly absense of an input item has no meaning. Thats why you went for the wrong missing item even if the
    battery
    -belt and the production of it was fuller than full.
  • You can move the stacks in a chest faster to the first positions if you grab them with shift+click (if inventory is empty enough also with ctrl+click) and insert them back with ctrl+click
And a meaningless marker for future lookbacks

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

[quote="JoshLittle"]Sorry infectum, but this was really a facepalm episode :(
(you can see the spoiler to see why it was)

Yup, I lot of people of commented on the modules and better setup for those. I can go back and change that around a bit. Also, a few users suggested adding more oil jacks to increase volume, or add speed modules to those. Those will need to be fixed as well. For defense...meh...what I put down works. As long as it kills biters, that's what I care about.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

_aD wrote:Seriously, how many times do we have to ask you to stop telling the Hydras what to do? Like paragraphs and every detail?

JoshLittle has provided a lot of tips. I appreciate them. One thing that could help, is find things that other users haven't already commented on. I'm learning a lot from everyone, for me it's been helpful. With the spoiler tags, they can be hidden, so if a user doesn't want to read it, they don't have to.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Blackence wrote:
_aD wrote:Sit back and enjoy the hilarity. If you wanna give gameplay tips, fine. But quit writing walls of text with every single thing they're doing wrong. Because they're doing two things right: having fun and entertaining us for free. Why must you insist on more?
For example, when -root
added splitters to the iron input of the new battery factory so each of the chemical plants gets the same amount of iron input. Why? Maybe he thought it's unfair that the first chemical plant must do all the work and the last chemical plant in that line does nothing? :D
. However, I did not post this because… Why care? It's just 3 splitters that are not strictly required but they show a nice setup that could be important in other situations. And since these comments often sound like "your vid was so bad, you shouldn't do vids!", which is absolutely not the case, I simply kept this to myself. Well, until now. :P
Poor chemical plant has to do all the work. Totally not fair!, lol :)
The reason I did the fast belts around the corners, was just to speed it up a bit. I know I didn't need to do 3, but why not. We have the resources for it. And it looks cool.

Return to “Videos”