The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by Xterminator »

johntarmac wrote:
JoshLittle wrote:One of the lamest episodes ever :(
Now repeat after me...

If I haven't got anything nice to say don't say anything.
;)

As for the playthrough, I'm really enjoying everybodies different styles all mashed together, keep it going exactly the way you are. Have fun. :)
Exactly my thoughts. There is literally no point in saying negative things except to insult the person your saying them about.
I'm glad the majority of people liked it. :D definitely not the most efficient solar layout, but to be fair I just did it sper-of-the-moment, and hey what really IS efficient in this play though so far. XD

As for attacking the biters, I decided to do it because no one had really done it yet and I I thought it would be fun. Good thing I saved before hand though... :p
Image Image Image

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Xterminator wrote: There is literally no point in saying negative things except to insult the person your saying them about.
"Xterminator, you're a complete jerk... a real kneebiter" - http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Bowerick_Wowbagger

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

If I should say nice things, then the episodes should contain nice things. It's as easy as that. :mrgreen:

But really: I won't say good to things done very bad. I don't change how it's like. And I mostly mention what, why and how something can be better. So there is the possibility of getting the impression I'm only negative. But isn't that the the best way for constructive critics? Instead of just say "that was good" to everything, even if it wasn't? I never want to insult anyone. Only to help getting better and if I got something wrong, to get better myself.
Just one thing for this episode
And a bit more "negative":
But I think this was your best episode (For clarity: Yes, thats a compliment ;) )
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

johntarmac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by johntarmac »

JoshLittle wrote:If I should say....snip
But surely it's not about doing things 'better', it's about 5 guys building a base without any real plan because they have no idea what went on in the previous 80 minutes before they do their 20 minute stint. Hopefully they are having a laugh while doing it and some of the viewers are also getting a laugh out of it.

If it was a tutorial or serious playthrough then fair enough but this is supposed to be fun so maybe constructive criticism is better suited to other threads.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Constructive criticism - Have a plan of attack for your next episode. There is nothing in the rule book to keep you from looking over your last saved episode and finding:
a. mistakes that need to be corrected
b. ideas for what you want to accomplish

I know that one of you does that and it helps move things along.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Remember, we're all at some pretty wildly varying levels of skill. There is a huge gulf in ability between the best player and the worst. I think your comments are well made DerivePi. Each player should have a bit of a plan for their episode. But planning that far in advance is pretty damn hard.

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

-root, do you know that you actually increased solid fuel consumption, by replacing steel furnaces with electric ones? :)
At least without efficiency mods in later.

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

Did this actually increase smelting throughput? I don't think so. I'd say it decreased smelting throughput and increased power usage. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure about solid fuel usage. :-)

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

The web of green circuit wire has now been cast over the science centers. Will our heroes figure it out in time? Stay tuned.

Instead of throwing a wrench (spanner?) in the works, I see we are opting for bricks. Love it!

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

@JoshLittle, I have no problem with constructive criticism, because your right it can help people get better. But you comment was not constructive whatsoever. "One of the lamest episodes ever" is not helpful and doesn't help me improve. If you have actual constructive criticism, like suggesting a good solar layout for me, then that would be great.

As for planning ahead I don't do that with this series because I like just jumping in and seeing what I can do without and prep. If this annoys people I apologize, but that's just how I play. :p
Image Image Image

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

The summary comment alone is realy just a summary. I always try to define the why as good as I can. In this thread there is also the problem about not spoiling too much. In the case of your episode it was the two things:
  • To search combat at this time with this ammo and armor in the night, far away, and even if you succeded there would be no other situation. Showing something new is one thing, but there should be at least the possibility of some use. The biters were no threat to the base, the alerts wouldn't be less. And in future episodes there will possibly be more than enough combat episodes once there is a situation for it (a self defending base, the right ammo and armor and the as a trigger the need for alien artifacts - to want to show combat would be a good enough trigger, but the when and how was the thing I meant)
  • You can do what ever solar layout you want. But if you want to do a layout, then do a layout and not repeat only the half of it (
    if you place a substation in the center, then the next substation is in the center of the next group and not at the edge of it
    ). Or use the power of blueprints to copy the first group you think is right. It's like me trying out trains - having it never done before - and then not getting every connection of a two-way roundabout right even when I saw a picture of the layout right in front of me.
For the planning ahead or not: It's no goal to plan like "In the first five minutes I do X and until minute 15 I do Y, ...", but like "If there will ever be the situation I want to (build a train, a solar layout, a power armor, oil center, ... ) then I do it like X". This leads to great effects, for the players and the viewers.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

@root: Just a wonder how you can stick your know layout everywhere but didn't trip up on the privious try :D
@fish: I misread two times: A stinking Fish Sandwich. Makes also sense, i guess :mrgreen:
But: greatest (+): Finally somebody taking care of slow corners. Yeah :D

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Episode is up guys. Enjoy. :)

A Sinking Fish Sandwich! - Factorio - The Hydra Dilemma #35
JoshLittle wrote: @fish: I misread two times: A stinking Fish Sandwich. Makes also sense, i guess :mrgreen: [/spoiler]
Well, thanks? :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

JoshLittle wrote:@root: Just a wonder how you can stick your know layout everywhere but didn't trip up on the privious try :D
What do you mean? :D
As for the electric furnaces, my thoughts are that we switch over to solar power + electric furnaces and remove reliance on solid fuel. If we can do that, we can then repurpose oil completely to petroleum gas because we're going to need tons of that!

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

-root wrote:What do you mean? :D
Didn't you rewatch ep 32 yet? I think you were the guy from whom he saw the thing he was trying to remember.

And for your other thing:
(no spoiler for you)
You are completely on my side with the intention of solar + electric furnices for the long term

(also a spoiler for you)
but Fish is also right my mocking the decrease of number of furnices at the moment in ep 33

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

I really have to say that ep 35 is still funny (and productive) after a second watch. Nice one :!: :D

The best part are the two quotes:
  • Ok just very quickly guys, I wanna point out that I have zero goals for this episode. Zero. (1:57)
  • I do have a plan for this episode (7:08)
I think contradictory is the right word for this :mrgreen:
or instead of : mrgreen : better :mrgreenwire:
Oh I love such wordgamejokes :mrgreen:

ketil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ketil »

JoshLittle wrote: The best part are the two quotes:
  • Ok just very quickly guys, I wanna point out that I have zero goals for this episode. Zero. (1:57)
  • I do have a plan for this episode (7:08)
I think contradictory is the right word for this :mrgreen:
or instead of : mrgreen : better :mrgreenwire:
Oh I love such wordgamejokes :mrgreen:
You can start out without a plan and make one during the next 5 minutes. That's how I usually play my factorio games, starting without a plan leaves room for improving stuff that is bad. Wanting to do something really badly can make you forget about other issues, although having no plan can cause stagnation so I guess finding a plan during the first 7 minutes is acceptable compromise.

I think fish did really well this episode, some of the things fixed I really wanted to shout out to each player for a while to fix, but didn't write here for spoiler reasons. Well, I am watching every episode in order though, so easier for me. And these players tend to fix problems I don't see too. I think this factory is shaping up quite well considering the circumstances.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

JoshLittle wrote:
-root wrote:What do you mean? :D
Didn't you rewatch ep 32 yet? I think you were the guy from whom he saw the thing he was trying to remember.
No. What was I supposed to remember?

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

No one (playing) in this series can ever make a plan in advance, given they have no idea what was built or messed up in the last 80 minutes or so of gameplay, given that each player has a different play style and skill level.

The best part of the series by far though is when everyone has looked at something, knowing that it needs to be fixed, finished or removed, and leaving it up to the next player whose going in blind to figure out that it needs to be taken care of. :mrgreen:

The best thing anyone can do is leave something so obviously unfinished that it leaves a clue to the next person that something needs to be taken care of.
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Return to “Videos”