The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by Infectum13 »

pyrolytic_tungsten wrote:I enjoy this series. If Fishsandwitch wants payback for the pranks -root has pulled on him perhaps he should try to convince FKODgaming to do something. Afterall more pranks would probably make the series more entertaining assuming it isn't something repetitive like leaving pockets full of pebbles every time (as opposed to just the first time).

Perhaps my playstyle is different but it seems like everyone just crafts what is needed for the task at hand. When it comes to things like splitters, underground belts, inserters, and assemblers I craft a minimum of 15 at a time unless I'm limited on resources. That way I'm not held up by crafting stuff so often.
Stuff I am waiting to see play out
I think a lot of time we are trying to just get some stuff built and adding to the overall building design.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Gymble wrote:It's funny (and very frustrating) to see all of you ending your episode by placing the avatar next to what you where doing so the next one can have a hint on what to do....

... and then the first thing done in the following episode is to go as far away as possible without looking at your feet :D
I talked to Xterminator on Skype and we talked about that fact. Hopefully he will realize when he plays after me.

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

except that this time you made a "prank" of it and put him nowhere he needed to be

i feel you see this more as a sabotaging game then a coop ...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is about entertaining, and I mean without him this playthrough would be a very little kind of boring. What did I laugh :lol: about the oil barrels ! They are so useless. This is indeed the only reason why I'm watching this, because it is fun to see, how the next react.

Infectum13, you are the wildcard!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Infectum13 wrote:I think I may have ruined his last prank....oops, LOL.
Oh man, you ruined the whole escalation :cry: ;)

(but I think root has enough in the pipe to fire it back on :mrgreen: )
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

ssilk wrote:What did I laugh :lol: about the oil barrels ! They are so useless.
Nope, they are not ;)
Only this barrel at this time was useless.. and a lot of fun

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Infectum13 wrote:Episode 17 - Monumental Building
So according to this episode it should be totally possible to take a stack of money, drive it around the block and be rich after it because it increased glamorously :lol: :lol:

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

safan wrote:except that this time you made a "prank" of it and put him nowhere he needed to be

i feel you see this more as a sabotaging game then a coop ...
I don't think I've been sabotaging this game at all. This is the first time I've purposefully done a prank in the game. And I still did build on my turn as well :) But I can see your point.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

ssilk wrote:This is about entertaining, and I mean without him this playthrough would be a very little kind of boring. What did I laugh :lol: about the oil barrels ! They are so useless. This is indeed the only reason why I'm watching this, because it is fun to see, how the next react.

Infectum13, you are the wildcard!
Glad to hear that we are able to entertain. :) I laughed a lot when I went back and watched everyone else. I think next to recording, I look forward to that the most. Going back and watching the videos.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

JoshLittle wrote:
Infectum13 wrote:I think I may have ruined his last prank....oops, LOL.
Oh man, you ruined the whole escalation :cry: ;)

(but I think root has enough in the pipe to fire it back on :mrgreen: )
After I watched FishSandwich's episode, I realized what I did. Ironically, Root does kinda win, LOL

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

JoshLittle wrote:
Nope, they are not ;)
What are barrels used for? I don't see them being used so far. Everything is done through pipes it seems.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

JoshLittle wrote:
Infectum13 wrote:Episode 17 - Monumental Building
So according to this episode it should be totally possible to take a stack of money, drive it around the block and be rich after it because it increased glamorously :lol: :lol:
Yes.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Infectum13 wrote:
JoshLittle wrote:
Nope, they are not ;)
What are barrels used for? I don't see them being used so far. Everything is done through pipes it seems.
My solution for the spreaded single oil spills is to use a pump jack, an assembler, a requester (of empty barrels), a provider (for filled barrels) two inserters and a bit of power. In my main oil area is a requester for filled oil barrels which are going into another assembler, which pumps it into the crude oil tanks and the empty barrels are provided back into the logistic system.

So the barrels are good for logistic transportation and for transportation on belts. And in some sense also for input buffering for the oil processing. A storage tank can handle 1,000 units of oil on a surface of 9 tiles. A chest can handle 480 barrels (stack size = 10) x 25 units = 12,000 units of oil, therefore 9 chests up to 108,000 units. Equal to 108 storage tanks! If the surface in an issue, then 40 steel (= 40 barrels) for 1,000 units of oil storage (instead of a storage tank which needs only 5+4 (in iron) = 9 steel) becomes cheap. 108 / (40/9) = a 24.3 better factor of storing oil (ignoring chests, inserters, pipes and pumps)

Edit: Oh sorry, I got the 1,000 from the outdated wiki instead of the game itself. A storage tank can handle 2,500 units. Therefore the factor is "only" 9.72 but still very good.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

JoshLittle wrote: So the barrels are good for logistic transportation and for transportation on belts. And in some sense also for input buffering for the oil processing. A storage tank can handle 1,000 units of oil on a surface of 9 tiles. A chest can handle 480 barrels (stack size = 10) x 25 units = 12,000 units of oil, therefore 9 chests up to 108,000 units. Equal to 108 storage tanks! If the surface in an issue, then 40 steel (= 40 barrels) for 1,000 units of oil storage (instead of a storage tank which needs only 5+4 (in iron) = 9 steel) becomes cheap. 108 / (40/9) = a 24.3 better factor of storing oil (ignoring chests, inserters, pipes and pumps)
Wow. That definitely makes barrels more useful then. Then I would imagine you can use storage tanks as buffers while you pump more oil into barrels.

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

Also, I think barrels are the only way to transport oil by train or in the player's inventory (and using logistics bots, like JoshLittle mentioned). So it's not only nicer for storage, it's also more flexible because it's just a standard item like iron or electronic circuits. I think I've deleted (mined) one oil tank in my first playthrough and wondered what happened with the oil that was stored in there. I guess it vanished. So the oil tank storage is also more dangerous than a chest full of barrels. :D

I have not used them in any game so far, so I'm not sure. The only time I crafted a barrel was in my first playthrough, for the same reason that Infectum crafted some of them. :-) I want to start a game using this nice ressource spawner mod and hope that some barrels come in pretty useful for that kind of map.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Adding And Upgrading - Factorio The Hydra Dilemma #18 is now live! I don't build a ton of knew things, but manage to finish up what the person before had started ( at least I think so), and upgrade some other things. As usual, after watching the other's videos I realize I didn't notice a lot of what they had done.. >.> I really need to pay more attention LoL

Hope you all enjoy, and can't wait to see your comments and reply!
Spoiler
Image Image Image

FKODgaming
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FKODgaming »

Episode #19 is live here: http://youtu.be/jdVwmTS8E_0

Thanks for watching everyone!

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

FKODgaming wrote:Episode #19 is live here: http://youtu.be/jdVwmTS8E_0

Thanks for watching everyone!
You began good and ended good... but (16:50)
I leave those two cole miners down there just as kind of a backup thing
That is why you
a) left them on the full side of the belt (so they only start to produce if solid fuel runs out and they have to keep up for the only steamline (the other will have no solid fuel when they work) and the iron and copper smelting on their own)... and
b) gave them no power
? ;) :lol:

And one more a little thing (7:00): Splitters don't merge equally on full lines, they prefer sides. You can see it at 11:11.

At 7:20 they belt was not full enough to cause problems at the intersection. But it's good to see a better way of doing it instead of worring on balancing a 3/4 empty belt.
And perhaps in the future someone will make fast corners (on input instead of only fast outputs) (11:30) ;)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

-root's video is up, he hasn't posted the link yet.

Just to let you guys know that I haven't gotten the save from -root yet and I can't record tomorrow because it's my girlfriend's birthday. Sorry about that everyone.

Edit: FKODgaming will be taking my day, and I will be going after him.
Last edited by FishSandwich on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Videos”