The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

JoshLittle wrote:Yeah post 500 :mrgreen:
Serious question: Does anyone know where to find a good "walkthrough" of making yt-videos? yt itself seems a bit shitty about explaining how to do it and that it's possible with a whole bunch of adobe programs is clear, but how does it the ordinary factorio ytber? I'm not going to open a new million-sub-channel, but sometimes a short video could explain more then multiple pictures. But how?
I am also new in this buissnes but here is my way (no adobe involved :))

First I downloaded OBS, wich was mentioned in one FF-threat.
With this Software I capture my plays and directly load them up to YT.
OBS lets you cature a window or the whole desktop or one game in fullscreen. ou only have to set up which you want. It parallel records my voiceinput via headset. All together neatly packed in an mp4 file.

In the meanwhile I have confirmed my acount at YT so that I can put up selfmade thumbnails, which I create while the video is uploading.

And that is all I do :). No magic involved :)

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

@pharaway:
  • You also waste capsules by overflowing the maximum follower count
  • Instead of just adding miners at the border of the field, the earnings would improve much longer by moving the middle miners and adding one there. Then the existing (and rebuilded) miner has still 25 oretiles and new one too. In your solution the outer miners will run out unequaly to the rest of the miners. This is a stage for a ore field where it is good to place as much miners as possible into the center (multiple miners help to mine the same tiles which are most likely still fuller than the edgetiles) and to make shure to cover every tile of the field with a miner (or its overlaping border) to not have to move them again just to mine a few overseen tiles later.
  • You see no gaps on this belt? Man, you are blind :lol: :mrgreen:
    (For the transport from the station I would suggest a double belt (passing west between the lake and the refineries!) and a little buffer at the entrance to the smelters, so they can be fed without an influence of the waves coming from the unloiding.)
@ssilk:
Trains
@all:
Didn't count, but it seems like everyone wanted to build power armor mk 2 (and also nearly everybody wanted to fit the second exosceleton into pa mk1). But nobody was trying to establish a production for effectivity modules 1 and 2 so they can be used immidiatly when the effecivity 3 research will be finished. What will still delay a bit (if it even will be started next), because Mr. positive square limited blue sp production that much a while ago (multiple times).
@Phillip_Lynx:
So you don't use any cutting and mixing software?
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

At risk of this thread getting off topic, i've started a new thread here. We can talk about youtube and twitch there.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Episode 72 - So close....

http://youtu.be/xcr_MyFXYQU

THE END!!! THE END!!!!

........well almost

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

It hurts watching Infectum play.
I mean, seriously...
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

well...
I think it's hard to show always, every episode, either a good game or make it entertaining... so it's normal, that there are good and bad episodes.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

• Who said that you need a line of roboports to protect an outpost? Alex did it, Infectum said it, ... :shock: :shock: :shock: Take one roboport, put 50 construction robots in it, set a storage chest in the area, put 2-3 stacks of walls and repair packs in it, done! (No automatic refilling, but better as this "oh, a damaged wall. Let's double it up"
    (What is zero times two? Still zero!)
  • Use Ctrl + Click to move everything of an item type in or out of a chest...
  • There is one coal miner and it has even nearly dried out. Instead of setting the coal-requests higher (what would be good because the travel distances leads to a empty requester-chest) you moved the coal in masses which will lead to a pause for the robots, a unrecognised drying out of the miner and after requester has putted everything out and requested the last stacks of the dryied out miner plastic-production will be not existing. Four miners into two providers set on the coal field would probably solve this problem for a long time.
  • Your sushi-circle really gets boring. Don't you realize that really nobody takes notice of it? So if you want to stick to it, why don't you half-automate it? Put a requester for fish there. They will clumb up or spread according to the track. It doesn't matter where you let them fall. Then the next times you can put the fishs in every provider or storage chest and your sushi-circle will get filled up.
  • Rockets are really not the problem. There are 50 in the system yet and the production of it is idle. When the productivity 3s are made, rocket defense is ready to go (research will then already be finished)
  • Everytime I hear something like
    "we need more advanced circuits"
    I'm afraid of a continuation with
    "so let's just copy these assemblers with a blueprint to make more advanced circuits"
  • Look at the requesters to notice shortages. If there have to be two items stacked up because of the requestings and there is only one item shown, then you can't say that they are waiting on nothing.
  • If
    plastic
    -production was a problem (
    and will be again soon
    ), and the production now leads to a filled belt, why don't you just set up a second provider to empty the belt (or change it completely to logistic transport)? Maybe the grabing from the belt is also a shortage (
    what would be seen if advanced circuits would not have to wait for normal circuits
    )
  • Your chest setup is ..(ok, formulate it nicer).. ehm has has really big craplike failure.
    Without a limit in the steel chests there would be an endless production of rockets (because they can never catch up with the outtaking to over 100 and rockets in the steel and requester chest are not counted. So the rocket production will be going until there are three stacks in the steel chest, the requested 10 in the requester (limit of stacks has no effect), 50 in the production-provider (or the system in a whole) and the output stack in the assembler).
  • "I don't need any" (changing the request of the chest) :roll:
  • The whole episode still has the same problems like so many episodes before: Speed is not the problem, the amount of stuff is. Rearanging shortage-items without solving the problem, putting speed modules everywhere (specially in assemblers that are already waiting on stuff), ... This is so frustrating :( :(

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

:lol:

You know, coming here and watching Josh rage is nearly as fun as actually playing in the hydra dilemma :lol:

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

I wish i could watch the hydra dilemma, but i can't as i can't take watching all the fail that's constantly happening.
Half of you don't even know how trains work...

That said then i don't want the series to end. it would instead be nice if you would incorporate some improvements from this thread as there is some really nice things you can do with what you have built.
Waste of bytes : P

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Keyboard: keep in mind part of the rules of the game. They cannot replace something unless they manage to naturally obsolete it (and not obsolete it on purpose).

So they are kind of stuck with a lot of what they have in the way of base infrastructure. Also they need to catch up with what the other (now 5) are doing. Each of them have differing skill levels. And they only have 20 minutes to catch up with what they havn't seen since their last turn (remember they can only watch what came before the last turn they played...they don't play for 10 turns..they don't watch those 10 episodes until they themselves play..then they can watch).

Basically the way this is being played is designed to make it play out like an old game of telephone. Where you see hints of what the previous player did..and you need to figure out from such hints..what you need to continue on. As well as deal with new problems that arise.

Seriously..they are doing much better in being a cohesive whole then I thought they'd be. I saw games that allowed much more communication (other games, not factorio, but played in this same style), and they devolved into massive unmentionable tangles of weirdness, after just a few turns.

Considering one player started off as very much a newbie...still has some issues keeping up and such...this game has gone very well.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Considering that the end of line is just around the corner, it makes sense to not worry about setting up another Roboport. Yes, doubling up the wall is fine. Actually, at this point in the game, should biters bother you, just go and clean them out. Besides, both oil bases are unnecessary anymore.

As for lugging the coal to the requester chest, I could see myself do just that. The fact that I'm relying on robots to travel across half my base would have irked me enough to have installed a belt by now. But, I also wouldn't have disconnected coal production in the first place (which was not obsoleted - red card!)

As for watching "the fail" (is that even American English anymore?), due to my schadenfreude, that is what I look forward to! Unfortunately, as can be expected, the players now know how to use empty barrels (properly - anyone know where the barrel went?).

As for speed modules, I totally agree. Their usefulness is limited to Beacons around research, oil wells and ingredients for items (assembler 3, armor, etc...) Productivity Modules are limited to purple potion production. And Effectivity Mods can be replaced with more power generation and biter clean up.

Great series. Thanks to all of you!

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

DerivePi wrote:... the players now know how to use empty barrels (properly - anyone know where the barrel went?)....
Great series. Thanks to all of you!
The barrel :o Don't mention the barrel :shock:

Great series! :D
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Derive: I'm with you on the robots thing...the coal across base via robots that is. I still do it to a degree on my home base..but I was trying to do some of that to a degree and like...I was using up too many bots hauling resorces that way o.O.

So I went ahead and made a belt when I got tired of using up too much bots for that travel.

Now, in all honesty I would have probably ctrl clicked the coal to move it about. But eh that's just me.

Though yes..him not understanding how the rocket defense prep chest worked..was a derp moment :P.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

-root wrote:You know, coming here and watching Josh rage is nearly as fun as actually playing in the hydra dilemma :lol:
JoshLittle wrote:This is so frustrating :( :(
Dude, that's not raging, that's sadness :(

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Its still hilarious.

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

JoshLittle wrote:
-root wrote:You know, coming here and watching Josh rage is nearly as fun as actually playing in the hydra dilemma :lol:
JoshLittle wrote:This is so frustrating :( :(
Dude, that's not raging, that's sadness :(
It's like food to root's soul. LOL

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

keyboardhack wrote:I wish i could watch the hydra dilemma, but i can't as i can't take watching all the fail that's constantly happening.
Half of you don't even know how trains work...
As someone who likes to watch LPs that is what I look for. When I want ideas on being efficient and "not fail" I'll look for tutorials or at a wiki. The surprise when you find something doesn't/does work is what makes live commentary. I've often thought about doing an "efficiency" study and doing post commentary with sped up gameplay to showcase the communities pooled ideas.

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

PharAway wrote:
keyboardhack wrote: As someone who likes to watch LPs that is what I look for. When I want ideas on being efficient and "not fail" I'll look for tutorials or at a wiki. The surprise when you find something doesn't/does work is what makes live commentary. I've often thought about doing an "efficiency" study and doing post commentary with sped up gameplay to showcase the communities pooled ideas.
I would prefer to watch someone learn how to do things, rather than repeatedly do things in a way that doesn't work, and has been pointed out as such.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Episode #73 is live! http://youtu.be/XEGuNxXpLpw
Image Image Image

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Items in Requester chests aren't counted in the overall logistic network.
Good work on the upkeep.

Return to “Videos”