The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by _aD »

JoshLittle wrote:but btw: looking at the stuff you could fight with you fought good
(but also funny to see that you mocked over military 4 but a minute later you were happy to have destructors - which also had to be researched one time like piercing shotgut is now ;) )
Pfft, who needs those pointless capsules and guns when you just creep out with laser turrets? </satire>

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

I honestly had my problems at the first (considerable) bases (20-25 spawners on the ore I needed so badly). It was a hard fight gaining tile after tile until one spawner after another was in reach of the lasers. Power Armor MK2 makes life easier :mrgreen: (...also for construction bots :lol: )
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

DaveMcW wrote:
Xterminator wrote:Even power armor MK1 would help. Do we have... yeah we have MK1 unlocked which still takes 100 processing units and currently I don't think we're making any.
Spoiler
Deep. I found out after the video that we did have some. Silly me :p
JoshLittle wrote:
Xterminator wrote:..At this point there is not much to do..
You really don't know what to do? What about basic stuff like
a complete defense for the main base, durable defense for the outposts, getting more ore sites and oil, cut off steam engines after running completely on solar, ...? Just that basic stuff that waits to be done since half an infinity..
but btw: looking at the stuff you could fight with you fought good
(but also funny to see that you mocked over military 4 but a minute later you were happy to have destructors - which also had to be researched one time like piercing shotgut is now ;) )
Yeah I suppose I could of done those things. But I figure if biters aren't coming into the base, then our defenses are fine. :p but your right, I could of at least gotten rid of steam power.
And yeah piercing rounds is a good thing to have, just figured we might want to get the research done so we can at least start making level 3 modules, sense it takes a while to make em.
Image Image Image

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Xterminator wrote:Yeah I suppose I could of done those things. But I figure if biters aren't coming into the base, then our defenses are fine. :p
But that is the point. They ARE coming in from time to time. :P
If they are able to break the last layer of walls, then the defense is not strong enough (and the base mostly has only one layer) (= minimal defense). If you can guide big groups of biters to the base and don't have to worry about them entering the base (some walls crack, but not the last layer) then it is a good defense (=maximal defense).

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

JoshLittle wrote:
Xterminator wrote:Yeah I suppose I could of done those things. But I figure if biters aren't coming into the base, then our defenses are fine. :p
If they are able to break the last layer of walls, then the defense is not strong enough (and the base mostly has only one layer) (= minimal defense). If you can guide big groups of biters to the base and don't have to worry about them entering the base (some walls crack, but not the last layer) then it is a good defense (=maximal defense).
Good point sir. If no one has done it, I'll ramp up defenses when I play today. :D
Image Image Image

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Episode 61 - Frustrated

http://youtu.be/XNkW0Hd3-vM

Open Letter to Biters: You Suck!

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Watching all of you play lately..i have noticed there is one thing slightly lacking in base. I don't think this is really a spoiler..but I spose I'll stick it behind anyway, this isn't really based on just one episode..but due to everyone's episodes lately. Though I will admit watching infectums he just posted is what really brought this to my attention, so it might be spoilery enough from his episode.
Ok it might need the spoiler afterall

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Xterminator wrote:
JoshLittle wrote:
Good point sir. If no one has done it, I'll ramp up defenses when I play today. :D
And look who is reading the spoilers.

That's a paddlin'.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

-root wrote:And look who is reading the spoilers.
Did you read the spoiler to confirm he read it? ;) (I think the comment is also valid without the spoiler - and the spoiler isn't also that much spoiling)

@fish (ep 60): I think the perfect stash would be the old left alone stone miner in the west. Not on the way looking around and rarely touched by anyone yet ;)
btw: I completely forgot where the barrel is :lol:
Nice circling of the biters inside the poison. But the way you do it now feels a bit like powering a children roundabout with a scooter :mrgreen:

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Oh infectum. That kind of episode where it is not possible without a bit of blaming ;)
(And for those who hate long spoilers: I think it is needed here.)

First of all: Shame on you to have the right intuition but sucking up the
artifacts
anyway
Why it was bad
It was really sad to see the combat. You made you down yourself, so I don't have to say anything downrising, but perhaps you can watch it again step by step to see the big mistakes you made. And then you can avoid them the next time:
Mistakes and Hints

ible
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ible »

The second spoiler in JoshLittle's post is a great example of constructive feedback.
Infectum, I highly recommend you review the combat footage while reading through his analysis.

Aside from that. I used turret creep for several weeks because I sucked so bad at combat. It took me a while to get a hang of fighting biter bases with capsules.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

Boogieman14 wrote:... there appears to be a pretty strong SEP field in this coop :)
Saw this in a video about time. Searched for the image and made a copy.
Saw this in a video about time. Searched for the image and made a copy.
Procrastination.png (172.16 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
This clearly explains the SEP effect in this series, since past, present and future 'me' are three different persons.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

HeilTec wrote:
Boogieman14 wrote:... there appears to be a pretty strong SEP field in this coop :)
Procrastination.png
This clearly explains the SEP effect in this series, since past, present and future 'me' are three different persons.
Ahaha so true! Love that post mate. :D
As for Infectum's fighting, I think Josh Little's second spoiler was really good, that is some good constructive criticism, rather than just insults. :)
But Infectum if you read this, don't feel too bad about being bad at combat right now. Everyone started out being bad when they first started, and I mean I can't count the number of times I completely failed at trying to kill a base. Hell anyone who watched my last several videos in this series knows I died like 3 or 4 times trying to kill a base. :p
Image Image Image

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

@xterminator (ep 62):
I was not the guy who told you just to rip up the steam engines. But if I reread it in regard of what you did, I can't just blame you for just misterunderstand what I meant. Perhaps "cut off steam engines after running completely on solar" was not clear enough. I meant: Do something to increase the solar power and THEN rip the engines down. You probably understood "Solar already took over so the steam engines are not needed anymore". But this was not what I meant. And even if you think it is the time that solar is strong enough, I would highly recommend to just "cut off" the steam engines to test at first the solar strength before ripping it down. For solar I would like to lead your point of view to some old posts of me in this thread according to solar layouts. There was also a only-accumulator-dedicated-layout. I think I also wrote some spoilers how to see what (solar panels vs. accumulators) is needed the most. But you all just get stuck with the one combined layout after you and root inserted it parallel a while ago. Ok, don't worry about it, your choice. ;) (
psst, just a little hint ;)
)
Thinking the Xterminator-way
Oh, and I almost forgot my
Foretellings

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

So watching this episode brought up yet another thought.

I'll spoil this one, but just so its easy to ignore if you want to ignore it. But this is more or less an overall suggestion, and nothing based directly on this episode, but just a general thought I've had.
shhpoilers

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Episode #62 is live: http://youtu.be/WjyRQEuRcE8
Image Image Image

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

@junion: One episode? I think even a full round of 5 episodes would hardly be enough. At least I would take that long. (yeah, I'm a bad player, I know :mrgreen: )
So if they really only want to go to rocket defense, it could be to late (i would say then there will be less than 100 episodes). But if they want to extend to a full research of follower counts (don't even know how much robots are possible for count 20, never need more than 40-45) the fun would be extended a bit :D

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Well I'm considering the fact they can't do large sweeping changes, unless they make something obsolete. And they can't build something just in order to make something else obsolete.

A lot of the major issues would require a complete re-working of the factory..getting everything under a single idea. But part of the point of this to showcase various ways of thinking all working on the same factory. So they can't fix major issues that arise due to people having differing ways they handle production, or in some cases not quite understanding how things work. They can make small changes to improve what is there.

I mean lets be honest...I think a few of the players, if asked to fix the factory, they can do anything they want..would say tear the whole thing down and rebuild from the ground up. But that isn't the point of the game and the series. And this isn't a knock against the players...having different playstyles, and feeling pressured to do something constructive within 20 minutes will do that to you. Heck my factory I'm playing on right now..I havn't had any pressure whatsoever to build fast, be productive or whatever. And still I want to, to a degree, just tear it all down and remake it. Mind you its my first factory and I've just learned so much I can see where some of my choices were silly..experimental builds didn't work out, or whatever.

But back to the point, this is why I suggest spend an episode, find where there are issues with what is currently there and fix it. The main point would be to just make sure everything is working..and to get familiar with what is where. I think that should take an episode or two at the most.

But that's just my view.

ible
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ible »

There isn't much need to spend an entire episode figuring out the general operation of everything.
  • I have an excellent understanding of the base from watching the videos.
    The base has changed very little over the last 10+ episodes
    And all the players are allowed to watch the videos after they play.

Return to “Videos”