Multiplayer Forum Info

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Multiplayer FAQ

Post by AlexPhoenix »

what is memory consumption of headless server on linux?( i know it depends from map, by at least some values will be usefull for me to see if i can host server or not)

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

AlexPhoenix wrote:what is memory consumption of headless server on linux?( i know it depends from map, by at least some values will be usefull for me to see if i can host server or not)
I'm running with 2GB of ram without any issues, bet you can go lower then that but 2GB works like a charm for me
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamel »

Anyone got an answer on how to configure mods in multiplayer (with a dedicated server)?

i.e. we wanted to use Natural Evolution Enemies but change the setting NE.Set_Difficulty from hard to easy.
We tried to unpack the zip file on the server and clients and change the value but that only lead to desyncs...

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Are you using 0.12.30 so you can be sure everyone changed the setting the same way?
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamel »

I'm using the stable .29 release

I'm sure I and the server had the same settings as I made them - is it the right way at all to unzip it on everyones install and change the value, though?

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Kamel wrote:Apparently I'm still on .29 (But I'm using steam, I thought it would update automatically?)
.30 still seems to be marked as experimental for some reason. Updating to experimental versions need to be enabled in the settings somewhere.
Kamel wrote:I'm sure I and the server had the same settings as I made them - is it the right way at all to unzip it on everyones install and change the value, though?
This should work I think.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamel »

Okay apparently I messed up previously.
Just retried it and I'm not getting desyncs anymore... My bad.

Perhaps someon can add it to the FAQ in the wiki:
Configuration changed need to be identical on the server and all clients. (i.e. for mods: Everyone needs to unzip them and use the identical config.lua files)

Chaos234
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chaos234 »

Hi,

I have huge problems with my MP Headless Server.

Since we are using robots its going under 40 FPS/UPS and the server delay goes up to over 230.
Well, we are actually using waiTex and UpGrade as mods (later we want to start new with full mods).

It seems that the robots physics is not coded well because there was no such FPS/UPS breaking.

For start/stop I use the init script which is linked in the wiki thread and also I am using a latency-ms
between 200-400ms but nothing worked well.

Also a compleatly unmodded version from 0.12.29 won't work any more lag less if robots are in the game.

This means that we need a compleat multiplayer robots rewrite so that they are not doing any trouble any more.

Currently there is a delay from 55 up to 240.

I hope that the Dev's from factorio will solve this problem by rewriting the robots compleatly because I see no other
way to get this problem solved.

In addition ... the Multiplayer should be rewritten compleatly because modern games are not going to use p2p-connections
also there shouldn't be a *.cpp handling in the console of the game. I am sure that this will also be resolved and improved
in a later version but it must be done.

Well, well, if you have any hints for me to get those lags away I'll test (don't ask for server logs because there is no helpfull
stuff in it) it.

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamel »

How many robots are you using? We only had 1000 robots and 2 players so far and no lag

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Chaos234 wrote:the Multiplayer should be rewritten compleatly because modern games are not going to use p2p-connections
sorry for not answering any of your other questions - but think of this; If you have issues with simulating 1000+ bots on your game, imagine the amount of network traffic you would need to transfer if a server had to do the simulation and send all those bots flying around to 5+ players, not to mention literally thousands of copper and iron plates moving around per second, instead the p2p architecture allows the game to simulate lots of stuff and merely compute a hash/send some trivial stuff over the network.

granted, p2p is frustrating (heck the whole mp experience is a bit finicky at best) but going for a server-client architecture just seems like it would add other issues tbh - I like to play massive factories with others, something made possible with p2p + the "server" running costs are minimal ;)

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

Bisa wrote:
Chaos234 wrote:the Multiplayer should be rewritten compleatly because modern games are not going to use p2p-connections
sorry for not answering any of your other questions - but think of this; If you have issues with simulating 1000+ bots on your game, imagine the amount of network traffic you would need to transfer if a server had to do the simulation and send all those bots flying around to 5+ players, not to mention literally thousands of copper and iron plates moving around per second, instead the p2p architecture allows the game to simulate lots of stuff and merely compute a hash/send some trivial stuff over the network.

granted, p2p is frustrating (heck the whole mp experience is a bit finicky at best) but going for a server-client architecture just seems like it would add other issues tbh - I like to play massive factories with others, something made possible with p2p + the "server" running costs are minimal ;)
But it's so difficult to make a good "public" server :/
And for someone who has "not good" connection, he can never play on MP ?

People will start to leave the game... unfortunately :'(
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Redstylt wrote: But it's so difficult to make a good "public" server :/
Hopefully addressed with 0.13 FFF the other week hinted for some nice authentication features and the matchmaking/lobby service is also something to look forward to
Redstylt wrote: And for someone who has "not good" connection, he can never play on MP ?
I'm sorry but they would not be able to play better with even more stuff going over the network, most likely the opposite :p
Redstylt wrote: People will start to leave the game... unfortunately :'(
If you say so, I've been hosting a public server for a year - in that time the multiplayer experienced has nothing but improved, I'm sure by the time we hit 1.0 Wube has nailed it so I'm not worried, it's pre-release game still after all

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

hi,

Is it possible to make a vote on the forum ?

And do you know any mods to make a "PVP" server ?
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

JJWonderTard
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JJWonderTard »

I hate the system how it is now cant they just make it like every other steam game? I dont want to have to dick around with my router for 30 min to play with a friend. And all guides and videos are like years old. I just want the system to be like Terraria or something where you host a online game and the person joins it. I cant stand dicking with my already slow internet to play with my friend. Cant it be changed to this very easily?

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by searker »

JJWonderTard wrote:I hate the system how it is now cant they just make it like every other steam game? I dont want to have to dick around with my router for 30 min to play with a friend. And all guides and videos are like years old. I just want the system to be like Terraria or something where you host a online game and the person joins it. I cant stand dicking with my already slow internet to play with my friend. Cant it be changed to this very easily?
If it could, it would have been ;)
Besides, youre missing something here: Factorio is not like every other steam game in any way; The main reason being that Factorio was always developed as a non-Steam game and is now just sold there aswell.
0.13 (the next major version) Will make huge improvements to the Multiplayer (ingame as well as server-discovery).

Noob634
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Noob634 »

Hey, I uploaded my server today and a few people joined, the problem is that they got "desync!" after a while. Can someone explain what this is and what is causing it?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Noob634 wrote:Hey, I uploaded my server today and a few people joined, the problem is that they got "desync!" after a while. Can someone explain what this is and what is causing it?
It's probably due to these bugs:
[0.13.3] Desync by holding offshore pump in hand
[0.13.3] Multiplayer desync by someone holding Train Stop
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

what are the hardware requirements for running a server? how many threads does it use?

cheers

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

impetus maximus wrote:what are the hardware requirements for running a server? how many threads does it use?

cheers
The requirements are essentially the same as the clients. The server not only co-ordinates the clients/traffic it also runs the map simulation itself and on slow server hardware this can make the server lag the game. A dedicated graphics card is not required, the server can be run in headless mode. It uses a little less RAM than the client but with big maps and mods it will take some.

Currently (0.13) the main game update logic is all done in one thread, only some minor tasks are run in a separate thread. It's therefore the best solution to use a server with one or two threads/cores, any additional cores don't help the performance.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

cool thanks.

Return to “Multiplayer”