Multiplayer Forum Info

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Multiplayer FAQ

Post by cpy »

You can use gravestone mod or something like that. It puts your inventory to box when you die.

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

Bisa wrote:
Bytenex wrote:If there is public request i could upload a starting script for linux (written by me) which enables multiversion support, creating maps and starting a server.
I'm interested in seeing your init script, I'm maintaining one of my own over at https://github.com/Bisa/factorio-init and getting ideas for features etc from others is alays fun - that is if you are willing to release yours with a shareable license ofcoruse :)
I upped it as an attachement. Feel free to use it at will. This script is under "Public Domain"-License.
WARNING: I take no responsibility for false usage.
Attachments
factorio-server.txt
(5.4 KiB) Downloaded 764 times

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Bytenex wrote:I upped it as an attachement. Feel free to use it at will. This script is under "Public Domain"-License.
Interesting, thank you =) might I ask what the purpose of symlinking saves is? I presume you use this to store the saves exactly where you want them or something?
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

Bisa wrote:
Bytenex wrote:I upped it as an attachement. Feel free to use it at will. This script is under "Public Domain"-License.
Interesting, thank you =) might I ask what the purpose of symlinking saves is? I presume you use this to store the saves exactly where you want them or something?
At the moment it's just for easier access. As soon as I integrate a "delete map" function this would be obsolete. I also consider unpacking the server files directly to the version directory. The script is in an early state. Maybe I can upload an updated version later this week if you want.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Bytenex wrote:I also consider unpacking the server files directly to the version directory. The script is in an early state. Maybe I can upload an updated version later this week if you want.
Feel free to have a look at Narc0tics solution to that, I've implemented an updater in my init script using his python script =)

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

Thanks for the link. I may look at it but at the moment I'm just changing my script to fit my needs. I don't have any real goals for it. Feel free to use it though.

Changes:
- Changed install routine
- Added map create
- Added map delete
Attachments
factorio-server.txt
(5.78 KiB) Downloaded 730 times

webbatron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by webbatron »

how do you get the id for the server

DethBringa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DethBringa »

webbatron wrote:how do you get the id for the server
You mean IP I guess.

- To get someones server IP, you need to ask them.

- If you want to give out your server IP to someone (make sure you have port forwarded) just go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ and give your friend that IP address. NOTE: This IP address WILL change unless you have a static IP set up with your ISP.

- If you are connecting to our own server on a different computer you will need your local IP address for that computer. Press Winkey+R type "cmd" (without quotes) and hit enter. This will open the command prompt. Type "ipconfig" and press enter. Scroll up to see "IPv4 Address" it will most probably be 192.188.1.X or 10.1.1.X (where X whatever number your router assigned you). NOTE: This IP address WILL change unless static IP is setup with your router.

MenschenManschen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MenschenManschen »

Hi,
i want to play with 2 friends, but have a tiny problem...
Somehow, we are not able to connect to one Server...
I will call my friends 1 and 2 ,)

I can connect to 1, but 2 cant connect to 1.
1 can connect to 2, but i cant.
(Nobody can connect to me, but thats ok, because my port is closed^^)
ok... we played yesterday evening... but now it doesnt work at all :D

So what are we donig wrong, or what do we have to do, to make it work?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

koopakilla06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by koopakilla06 »

how do i make a server?

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

koopakilla06 wrote:how do i make a server?
Try the wiki, check out the guides https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... ess_server

thomas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by thomas »

Hi all!

Did not want to open another thread as I think I can ask this on this one.

I've bought the game on Steam, ok, installed on my computer.

But, I want to host a dedicated server in another computer. How should I proceed with the files in this case? Do I need to install Steam on my server, and install Factorio to get validated files from Steam? Or can I run a server using the set of files of a demo installer?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

You can't use the files from the demo for multiplayer or as server.

If the server runs Linux x64 you should use the headless package, which doesn't need Steam or a graphical interface.

If you are using Windows you can install Steam on the server, install Factorio from it and run Factorio with the --start-server option, this will also start Factorio in headless mode and doesn't require Steam to run, so you can run the client on your pc at the same time the server is running, on the same Steam account.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

thomas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by thomas »

daniel34 wrote:You can't use the files from the demo for multiplayer or as server.

If the server runs Linux x64 you should use the headless package, which doesn't need Steam or a graphical interface.

If you are using Windows you can install Steam on the server, install Factorio from it and run Factorio with the --start-server option, this will also start Factorio in headless mode and doesn't require Steam to run, so you can run the client on your pc at the same time the server is running, on the same Steam account.
Perferct, thanks!

mosuprah
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mosuprah »

yo yall, i have, like, literally no idea how to play multiplayer with my friend. could yall explain it to me plz. (btw, im a little terrible at this kinda stuff so plz try to dumb it down)

TheBestofHell12
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheBestofHell12 »

Me and my friend have Frantically tried connecting to each other. We did all the porting and such. I've read the forums but nothing has been helping. both sides can't seem to connect with each other. The message that I get for connecting to the host is " couldn't communicate to network." but the host gets a message saying that a unknown person is joining.

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

You don't need to host a server or headless server to play co-op, do you? From what I can gather (haven't tried it yet):

1. The host needs to configure their router to have a virtual server (or something similar) @ port 34197 - UDP or UDP + TCP
2. The host gives their IP address to their friend(s) that want to connect.
3. The host and friends should disable auto-save to help prevent lag (the host can save manually at any time).
4. The host starts/loads a game, the friend(s) select Multiplayer > Connect to Game > and put in the IP address.

Does that work for single player co-op? I thought I read somewhere that Factorio uses peer-to-peer, so this should be possible without having to create a "server".

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Targa wrote:You don't need to host a server or headless server to play co-op, do you? From what I can gather (haven't tried it yet):

1. The host needs to configure their router to have a virtual server (or something similar) @ port 34197 - UDP or UDP + TCP
2. The host gives their IP address to their friend(s) that want to connect.
3. The host and friends should disable auto-save to help prevent lag (the host can save manually at any time).
4. The host starts/loads a game, the friend(s) select Multiplayer > Connect to Game > and put in the IP address.

Does that work for single player co-op? I thought I read somewhere that Factorio uses peer-to-peer, so this should be possible without having to create a "server".
Pretty much yea:
  1. host port forwards 34197 udp in his router to his local computer
  2. host starts a play -> multiplayer game (ensure "use peer-to-peer" option is NOT ticked)
  3. hosts gives his ip to the connecting clients (check http://icanhazip.com/ to get your public ip)
  4. client joins game; play -> multiplayer -> connect to game -> fill in host ip from previous step (port is not needed as long as you use the standard 34197)
Hop on to irc.esper.net if you still have issues, the #factorio channel is usually host to several helpful ppl (if Im online feel free to drop me a direct message)

kalzekdor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kalzekdor »

A general heads up to people who are having networking issues hosting a game. This sort of thing is often a pain with games like this without having an actual dedicated server (or VPS, even an on-demand IaaS node with the headless server, but now we're getting off-topic). You'll usually end up running into some issue or other down the line with somebody's firewall or router, and trying to configure everyone's internet setup perfectly can be extremely trying, and exponentially more difficult the more people you add. Any more than 3 players (including the host) is just asking for trouble.

Running a dedicated server is a pain in itself, though, and it's not going to be free, either. There is another solution, though. You can use a low-config VPN service to automatically negotiate tunnels between the various machines, and it would be like you were all connected to the same LAN, no need to worry about port-forwarding or anything like that.

Some options:
  • Hamachi - Decent solution, but they've been a bit aggressive ever since LogMeIn purchased them. Free version is limited to 5 computers/network, with up to 32 at $29/yr. Easy to configure. Routing is usually decent, but if a direct connection can't be negotiated the bandwidth slows to a crawl.
  • NeoRouter Free - Rock-solid solution, what I use personally. Completely free for an unlimited number of clients, nearly zero-configuration on the client side, and extremely stable routing. The catch is that you need to run the server yourself, which is pretty much what you're trying to avoid doing in the first place. The upside is that you won't need to reconfigure the server every time you want to play a different game, just setup NeoRouter once and be done with it forever.
  • NeoRouter Mesh - Same powerful solution as NeoRouter Free, but without the need to run your own server. It'll run you $50/yr for every 5 machines, though.
  • FreeLAN - Free, open-source solution, with good stability. It can be run in a mesh configuration, so you won't need a server. Configuration can be a bit complicated, though, it's not as simple as the other solutions.

There are other solutions out there as well, but those are the ones I know of off the top of my head. If you're having connection troubles, I recommend at least trying Hamachi to see if that helps smooth out some of the wrinkles.

yairhaim
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yairhaim »

Great Post Indeed!

Return to “Multiplayer”