Multiplayer Forum Info

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
chazzarilla
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Multiplayer FAQ

Post by chazzarilla »

According to the steam page, local multiplayer and co-op are available for factorio, however I cant seem to find the option in game?

Anyone help?

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

chazzarilla wrote:According to the steam page, local multiplayer and co-op are available for factorio, however I cant seem to find the option in game?

Anyone help?
do you have a 32 bit operating system?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

The Factorio Steam page is a little bit confusing when it comes to multiplayer/co-op:
steam-factorio-multiplayer.png
steam-factorio-multiplayer.png (9.17 KiB) Viewed 15014 times
Wikipedia defines local co-op as multiplayer on the same screen and I think Steam also defines it the same way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_gameplay wrote:Cooperative games designed to be played by multiple players on the same display screen have come to be known as "couch co-op", "local co-op" or "single-player co-op" games. Cooperative games in which players each use their own display system are known as "online co-op", "network co-op" or "multiplayer co-op" games due to the majority of such systems utilizing telecommunications networks to synchronize game state among the players.
According to that definition Factorio doesn't have local co-op as there is no way to play multiplayer without a second PC and network connection. The same applies to local multi-player. These tags should probably be removed from the store page as they could be considered false advertising.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

daniel34 wrote:The Factorio Steam page is a little bit confusing when it comes to multiplayer/co-op:
steam-factorio-multiplayer.png
Wikipedia defines local co-op as multiplayer on the same screen and I think Steam also defines it the same way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_gameplay wrote:Cooperative games designed to be played by multiple players on the same display screen have come to be known as "couch co-op", "local co-op" or "single-player co-op" games. Cooperative games in which players each use their own display system are known as "online co-op", "network co-op" or "multiplayer co-op" games due to the majority of such systems utilizing telecommunications networks to synchronize game state among the players.
According to that definition Factorio doesn't have local co-op as there is no way to play multiplayer without a second PC and network connection. The same applies to local multi-player. These tags should probably be removed from the store page as they could be considered false advertising.

I think steam defines local co-op as LAN co-op,
I have these options to choose from for the game:

There is a very clear 'split screen/shared screen' option, which is not checked for factorio

redd4fun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by redd4fun »

Um I have been looking for about 2 hours now and I can't for the life of me find out how to unlink a steam account from a factorio account.

Long story short a friend and I bought the game on steam, he wanted to add mods and that was fine, but when I had to update the mods I didn't have a factorio account set up yet so I was lazy and used his account to update the mods, and now my steam is linked to his account :/. Now that i have my own I can't unlink his account from my steam, please help.

mcgoff360
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mcgoff360 »

is there a way to force a dedicated server through a setting or command to auto-pause on a player joining the server? my base is getting big and when i am connecting from my laptop it has trouble catching up as the server continues to chug along.

i know there is an auto-pause when no one is connected, and i am not talking about that. i wish there was a server setting to allow for such an option. i also don't see any command to send to the server prior to connecting to allow for my laptop to connect and then unpause when it loads. if i am missing it, please direct me as i have looked in the lua command database and could not find anything

Mifczu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mifczu »

How to get a token to the server?

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

in your Factorio folder " player-data.json"

Mifczu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mifczu »

noliVe wrote:in your Factorio folder " player-data.json"
token is empty. I use login/password right now. I must do something to get this token?

Ok I found. it's no in game folder but in `C:/users/username/AppData/Roaming/Factorio`

araujo9999
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by araujo9999 »

How do I contact the creators? I have a complaint / suggestion to them!

The game lowers the map once it enters the server, hence it has to download 600mb, 1gb. This takes a lot of time. Why do you have to download?

Alderin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Alderin »

First, I love this game. Craftiness and logic and routing plus collection and defense and robots and explosions, and trains. Can't get enough, really.

I am playing with my son on a hosted headless multi-player server. The server is (physically) about half-way between us, as we live on opposite sides of the US. I'm in California, he's in Florida, the server is in Texas. Our base has gotten huge, and even after using Delete Empty Chunks to reduce the map from 150gb to 50gb, his laptop can't keep up with the server. I tried changing the "_comment_minimum_latency_in_ticks" value which did help him stay connected, but he still couldn't keep up with the server. So on his screen he "rubber bands" when he tries to move, snapping back to his previous position, and as his system gets further and further behind, he doesn't see changes I make for several seconds.

What seems odd to me is that he can play the save of this world locally at near 60UPS.

I've thought that maybe in a client-server context, the lock-step, everyone-simulates-everything approach might be overkill. I know it wouldn't be an easy thing to change, but having the server simulate everything, and only send updates to the stuff that each client actually needs to see, might make multi-player much smoother and more tolerant of moderate-latency situations like ours. It may also allow people with lesser machines to still play with massive bases that are running smoothly on nicer server hardware, opening the fun of megabase play to more people.

Maybe (probably much easier to change) put in an option to slow down the server's tick rate from 60UPS to lower values. Yes, it would change tons of the "per second" values away from real time values, but at least we could keep playing even though one of the computers involved can't simulate the world quite as well as the server does. Personally, I wouldn't care if the displayed "per second" values were left alone in such a change, so machine X that claims to make 2 per second is actually making 2 per 1.5 seconds or even 2 per 2 seconds if the UPS is set to max 30.

This would at least keep us playing until we can get better hardware, or other game optimizations get the current hardware up to speed.

Granted, we are still running 15.4 on Steam, but I don't see any multi-player updates mentioned in the subsequent update versions.

This is mostly a feature request for headless servers, but if anyone has more ideas to make cross-country multi-player Factorio run better, I'd be glad to hear that, too!

Thanks!
-Alderin

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Alderin wrote:First, I love this game. Craftiness and logic and routing plus collection and defense and robots and explosions, and trains. Can't get enough, really.

I am playing with my son on a hosted headless multi-player server. The server is (physically) about half-way between us, as we live on opposite sides of the US. I'm in California, he's in Florida, the server is in Texas. Our base has gotten huge, and even after using Delete Empty Chunks to reduce the map from 150gb to 50gb, his laptop can't keep up with the server. I tried changing the "_comment_minimum_latency_in_ticks" value which did help him stay connected, but he still couldn't keep up with the server. So on his screen he "rubber bands" when he tries to move, snapping back to his previous position, and as his system gets further and further behind, he doesn't see changes I make for several seconds.

What seems odd to me is that he can play the save of this world locally at near 60UPS.

I've thought that maybe in a client-server context, the lock-step, everyone-simulates-everything approach might be overkill. I know it wouldn't be an easy thing to change, but having the server simulate everything, and only send updates to the stuff that each client actually needs to see, might make multi-player much smoother and more tolerant of moderate-latency situations like ours. It may also allow people with lesser machines to still play with massive bases that are running smoothly on nicer server hardware, opening the fun of megabase play to more people.

Maybe (probably much easier to change) put in an option to slow down the server's tick rate from 60UPS to lower values. Yes, it would change tons of the "per second" values away from real time values, but at least we could keep playing even though one of the computers involved can't simulate the world quite as well as the server does. Personally, I wouldn't care if the displayed "per second" values were left alone in such a change, so machine X that claims to make 2 per second is actually making 2 per 1.5 seconds or even 2 per 2 seconds if the UPS is set to max 30.

This would at least keep us playing until we can get better hardware, or other game optimizations get the current hardware up to speed.

Granted, we are still running 15.4 on Steam, but I don't see any multi-player updates mentioned in the subsequent update versions.

This is mostly a feature request for headless servers, but if anyone has more ideas to make cross-country multi-player Factorio run better, I'd be glad to hear that, too!

Thanks!
-Alderin
Even if he's nearly at 60 UPS, but not there, he will have trouble keeping up. Multiplayer also slightly increases the CPU load (although not much). You can decrease the game speed with the command "/c game.speed=X". The default is 1, so if you turn it to 0.8 it will be 48 UPS.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Alderin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Alderin »

Jap2.0, that is awesome! I hadn't thought to look through console commands, it seemed more like a config file thing to me. I am guessing that I will have to re-run this command every restart of the server, but that isn't such a big deal.

Thanks!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

No problem ;).

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

Alderin wrote:Jap2.0, that is awesome! I hadn't thought to look through console commands, it seemed more like a config file thing to me. I am guessing that I will have to re-run this command every restart of the server, but that isn't such a big deal.

Thanks!
If I recall correctly, my own experiences suggest that this lua command persists once the servrr goes headless and parks. Be warned, however, that accepting the lua command brands the savefile to be forever "a cheater" since the game kernel cannot differentiate betweem this command to manipulate UPS from another command to spawn resources and loot.

All of that said, I suggest to you that in all likelihood this issue is absolutely NOT your boy's doorstop-laptop, especially of he can run it clientside like butter. Instead, consult with your server provider and explicitly demand to be told what the exact single core, single thread performance statistics are on your specific server blade (as opposed to their overall multicore, multithread, or multi-CPU performance statistics, which will always be higher and therefore will always be what they advertise and hype) and ask if your server can be relocated to a less populate blade and CPU. NOTE!! Backup your modlist AND your savefile prior to the relocation, just in case, and in the relocation order make sure you pre-note the mods and savefile you want ported over.

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Multiplayer Desync right after creating map for first time

Post by MisterFister »

Howdy, folks. Extensive AngelBob modlist. With today's migration to v0.16.29 coinciding with the day my friend and I had already set aside to start a new AngelBob playthrough with heavy emphasis on biter-aggression mods, mods that seem to have worked in v0.16.28 suddenly no longer do.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kkx969agn2uu ... d5ULa?dl=0 shows an exact backup of our current modlist. I'm hosting and it's my friend attempting to remote-login, so the bulk of the desync reports from his side would have to come later when he gets back from his evening commitment.

Initial culprits are the ones that precipitated a mod update when clicking "check for updates," but I'm still fairly unclear on what any of these would do to de-sync when the map is literally four seconds old.

bean6777
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Multiplayer Forum FAQ

Post by bean6777 »

can someone tell me how i can post a forum i have looked everywhere but cant find it

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

bean6777 wrote:can someone tell me how i can post a forum i have looked everywhere but cant find it
I do not understand what "to post a forum" is supposed to mean.

bean6777
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bean6777 »

as in posting a page about a biter corral where you can tame biters to run around your base

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

bean6777 wrote:as in posting a page about a biter corral where you can tame biters to run around your base
Go to the forum you want to post to (probably here) and then click the "New topic" button:
img.png
img.png (179.51 KiB) Viewed 12254 times

Return to “Multiplayer”