Vanilla spoon/speed runs for non speed runners

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Vanilla spoon/speed runs for non speed runners

Post by zOldBulldog »

Are there any vanilla servers that routinely do speed runs?

Rather than being a fast moving fast this thinking player I am a methodical player, so I never expect to successfully beat Spooon or No time for chitchat alone. Heck, I even failed twice at On track like a pro, which is supposed to be easy for fast players. And yet seeing those unfinished challenges every time I login bugs me.

Doing it with others (and hopefully at least one experienced at this kind of runs placing the blueprints) would not only have a better chance of success but also make experience far more fun, and a good way to check out server communities.

Since this is probably not a new idea, I hope that there are already some established servers doing it.

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Vanilla spoon/speed runs for non speed runners

Post by PunkSkeleton »

I don't think there are any pernamemt servers for speed runs. However it is not a problem to host a game...

I did TINS with another player in 0.14 and I've always been interested in doing organised run with many players. I am not a fast player myself but I believe with good organisation and many average players you can do wonders.

But I do not like using blueprints for such event, as much as I don't like planning every building placement before the run. This just takes away all the fun - just split tasks before the run, agree on general things like number of labs etc. and go. This would not result in a world record but it would be much more fun and give everyone TINS achievement.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

What is TINS? Is it an achievement for a particular mod?

Edit... duuuh... I typed that and realized you probably meant "There Is No Spoon".
----
Anyway sounds good. How would such an event work?

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PunkSkeleton »

First we need more players... That's the main problem. We can probably do it with 2 players but that's not what I'm looking for.
Then we need some discussion and agreement on the game plan.
And then someone hosts a game and we go and get it.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

PunkSkeleton wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:47 pm
First we need more players... That's the main problem. We can probably do it with 2 players but that's not what I'm looking for.
Then we need some discussion and agreement on the game plan.
And then someone hosts a game and we go and get it.
Agreed. And I hope this can be done. The two "speed" achievements are all I am missing to complete, and it is frustrating to see them on Steam every time I log in to play factorio.

The sad part is that while I can handle complex problems... my brain just isn't wired for quick stuff under pressure, so I would never successfully complete this on my own. I was thrilled when due to my constant refining of my early games blueprints resulted in successfully completing On Track like a Pro, a challenge that most people consider easy (on the other hand, I completed all the "produce so many items per minute" achievements without even trying on my very first play through).

Doing Spoon as a team would remove the pressure, which would end up speeding up my own work.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

There are some groups that have done public spoon runs in the past (and might do so again).

KOS has a discord channel at https://discord.gg/ybyyaSE
ChurchOrganist has also done at least one such run viewtopic.php?f=53&t=61391
But in general a spoon run isn't hard provided you don't set yourself too big a challenge with resources/biters.
Even a 0.75 flask per second base can do all the required research in about 2 hrs, and if you stop research, the same resources will build a rocket in less than 40 mins. So it's just a matter of picking a large starting area with plenty of resources, and not wasting too much time trying to design perfect builds.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Chatting with Jap in another thread where I asked about a Spoon run he suggested that he and I give it a shot. We are moving the conversation here, and maybe others will join us too.

This is the last post from the other thread:
Jap2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:37 pm
zOldBulldog wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:30 pm
Jap2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:23 pm
zOldBulldog wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm
Jap2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:16 pm

They did that a couple months back - I'm not sure if there are any plans to do it again.
Understood. What I'm wondering is "how to find out" if they (or anybody else) do. Maybe there is thread to subscribe to, or some forum to monitor, or "some other way" to be aware in advance of what they are planning. That way if one ever happens I'd be able to jump on it.

Heck, to get Spoon done... it doesn't even matter where it happens. I'll setup an alarm if it is the middle of the night, or even take a vacation day if it happens during a workday. I really want to get this one done. Yes, I am a completionist... and the speed achievements are really irritating me since I know I won't achieve them on my own.
They have a discord where you should be able to find out fairly easily, I'll see if I can get you a link.
I think i-craft.de might have shutdown. I found a link (https://www.i-craft.de/en/) but the page does not load, and then I found this article that seems to indicate they shutdown on Aug 3 (https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ting_down/).

But I just got KoS' discord link. Maybe she does this kind of runs sometimes, and worst case scenario her stuff is always intersting.
Ah, here's ChurchOrganist's discord: https://discord.gg/RPhhXDk
It looks like it's gotten much less active in the last few months, though, and i-craft has shut down, so I'm not sure how much luck you'll have.

I'm no expert, but if you want I could try to do a no spoon run with you sometime - although I have no idea if we'd make it, as I only got mine through a fairly large multiplayer event, but with two of us it might be possible - spoon is 8 hours, the singleplayer world record is somewhere between 2 and 4 hours, and there are two of us, who both have significant experience with Factorio - easy, right :P.
That should be fun, even if we didn't make it. We could plan strategy and the like in advance, then do the run on a good day/time (best if a Saturday/Sunday).

And let's move the conversation to this thread... we'll be more on topic and even might pick up a few additional players.
I'll copy this last post over there.
Zavian wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:46 pm
Probably better to continue this in zOldBulldog's thread viewtopic.php?f=53&t=62048.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:54 pm
Chatting with Jap in another thread where I asked about a Spoon run he suggested that he and I give it a shot. We are moving the conversation here, and maybe others will join us too.

This is the last post from the other thread:

That should be fun, even if we didn't make it. We could plan strategy and the like in advance, then do the run on a good day/time (best if a Saturday/Sunday).

And let's move the conversation to this thread... we'll be more on topic and even might pick up a few additional players.
I'll copy this last post over there.
What time zone are you in? Due to various things irl I can probably only make it on a few miscellaneous Saturdays. Since I doubt we'll be set up within a few hours, will two weeks (the 29th) work?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I am on GMT-5 (or US CDT). What timezone are you on, and what would be the best time for you?

I think the 29th is good, I just messaged my wife to make sure she hasn't planned anything for us. Will confirm as soon as I find out.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:03 pm
I am on GMT-5 (or US CDT). What timezone are you on, and what would be the best time for you?

I think the 29th is good, I just messaged my wife to make sure she hasn't planned anything for us. Will confirm as soon as I find out.
I'm US Eastern (EDT, GMT-4), so we're fairly close. I'm fine with pretty much any time - maybe start early afternoon? I should be free all day, with the exception of a bit of time for lunch and dinner, although I can't guarantee anything (I'm in high school, so my parents could change my availability quite quickly, but we don't have anything planned that I know of, and I can't think of any reasons I'd have to go other than meals).

Some logistical questions:
Who's hosting this? We don't need anything especially powerful for a speedrun, so anyone could probably run the server, so long as it's from the last 15 years or so, they're certain they'll be there the whole time, and they have a decent internet connection.
Also, are we putting a password on this or not? We could have one and put it in this thread (or PM it to people), or we could just leave it public and kick/ban people if need be.
Also, are we using discord or something or just ingame chat?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

ChurchOrganist's group has nothing planned - he's sick at the moment.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Are we going for a big event or not? I could mention this in the Factorio discord, since it doesn't look like many people visit this subforum, or we could keep this fairly small.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:06 pm
Are we going for a big event or not? I could mention this in the Factorio discord, since it doesn't look like many people visit this subforum, or we could keep this fairly small.
Sounds good.

For the logistical questions I will let you decide, as I really don't have any experience with Factorio Multiplayer.

I will make sure to practice multiplayer between now and then so that it all goes smoothly. We can even do some short practice sessions before then if you'd like. I assume that we can do it on some server or even using Hamachi to simulate a local LAN if we can't find a server (I assume that Factorio has a LAN mode).

For communication I think that Discord or any other voice communication mechanism will be more efficient. Let me know which one you prefer and I'll install it. I've used most of them (except, surprisingly Discord) over the years and they are all pretty intuitive. If Discord, does it work better on a PC or would it be just as good if I run it from my tablet?

BTW, I just confirmed the 29th. I am free all day, so we can start in the afternoon if that is better for you or even in the morning.

Question: Although we probably want to password protect the match to keep griefers and other distractions at bay, would we want to allow others from this chat to join us on the Spoon run? I am guessing that the more people we have the faster it gets done. I guess you already answered this, yes I think an event would be a good idea. Go ahead and mention it. I'll try to get on the Discord in 30-60min... I need to do an errand and install Discord.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:10 pm
Jap2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:06 pm
Sounds good.

For the logistical questions I will let you decide, as I really don't have any experience with Factorio Multiplayer.

I will make sure to practice multiplayer between now and then so that it all goes smoothly. We can even do some short practice sessions before then if you'd like. I assume that we can do it on some server or even using Hamachi to simulate a local LAN if we can't find a server (I assume that Factorio has a LAN mode).

For communication I think that Discord or any other voice communication mechanism will be more efficient. Let me know which one you prefer and I'll install it. I've used most of them (except, surprisingly Discord) over the years and they are all pretty intuitive. If Discord, does it work better on a PC or would it be just as good if I run it from my tablet?

BTW, I just confirmed the 29th. I am free all day, so we can start in the afternoon if that is better for you or even in the morning.

Question: Although we probably want to password protect the match to keep griefers and other distractions at bay, would we want to allow others from this chat to join us on the Spoon run? I am guessing that the more people we have the faster it gets done. I guess you already answered this, yes I think an event would be a good idea. Go ahead and mention it. I'll try to get on the Discord in 30-60min... I need to do an errand and install Discord.
I think you should actually be able to host the game from your PC if we don't have a server. I probably won't be available between tomorrow afternoon and late Friday in two weeks, so I'm not sure if we'll be able to practice. Discord is the only voice communication program I've used (other than Skype, but I'm not sure if that's ideal for a bunch of people playing an 8-hour game of Factorio). It should work fine on a tablet with the app - I'm using it because it has a web version, which makes things a bit more convenient for me. If we're using that, then I'll look into trying to get that set up for us. For the time, most anything works, so I guess I'll see who else we get from discord and this thread. I also just posted this on discord.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Excellent.

I am installing Discord on the tablet right this moment. It is OK if we can't practice, I'll just join some open multiplayer servers over the next two weeks to practice the multiplayer aspects.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PunkSkeleton »

I'm from Europe so your early afternoon probably fits me.
I think with little organization 3 people should be able to do it in less than 4 hours.

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PunkSkeleton »

We are still looking for players. Our first attempt had only 2 people in the game, it was not very successful but still well below 8 hours.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I might add that both of the original runners that accomplished it in 7 hours or so are willing to go at it again if we get at least 2 additional players. So it is pretty much a guaranteed success and should be quite a bit shorter than 8 hours.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Due to networking issues I was not able to join - crossing my fingers that this will be fixed in 0.17, but I can't guarantee that I'll be there.

Return to “Multiplayer”