Multiplayer, why is noone playing it?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
ChoMar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Multiplayer, why is noone playing it?

Post by ChoMar »

Its not like there is NOONE.
But I just looked for some PvP - Fun (because our own server always failed to attract attention) and I found none.
Then I looked for Servers in General.
And there were 3 (THREE) with more then 4 Players.
Any reasons?
Mytronix Entertainment

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Multiplayer, why is noone playing it?

Post by Bilka »

You might be on version 0.15.34. The newest (experimental) version is 0.15.35 which is what most people play
Last edited by Bilka on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I can't speak for others, but for me personally I don't want to play a pvp game where you build things. Especially on a public server. You're just asking to get griefed and if you don't care about getting griefed, you're not going to make much of anything.

So you're left just playing with your friends, who you trust or at least can punch in the shoulder IRL if they nuke your advanced circuit factory.

ChoMar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ChoMar »

Yeah, but im not only talking PvP here.
The lobby in general is rather empty - maybe, MAYBE 40 People were playing when I originally postet this - and that includes closed servers and 2-Person servers.
With this kind of Numbers i doubt Griefers are that much of a thing.
But im gonna test this.
Mytronix Entertainment

player8472
Inserter
Inserter

Post by player8472 »

Most games are private.

It's quite easy to get griefed, private games are easier to control (Griefers are getting kicked / new PW and that's it).

Also MP is requiring communication, which is easier in private games.

Just look on reddit, i found 10 ppl for my Angels/Bob/SpaceX within a day...

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

the problem is in my opinion the games yet not worth doing pvp.
lets be fair the first person with walls wins the game
be honest what is worth focusing your research on?! OIL PROZESSING? on a PVP-Server?
once i know your starting location you get burried in my walls and walls are a pain to shoot down go try it!
and, as long as you move you cannot be hit . yes granades, still you have to run and once you are empty on granades
the pVp game is over because once i found your base you will be burried in walls.
so you have to make proper rules to have a nice fight maybe with tanks and turrets .

BUT i would spend a full dedicated server just for PVP if someone would do the MOD -Part we can even have a 4 hour restart timer on the map
or if someone can do a scenario for restarts AWESOME .

or if someone can organise it PLEASE message me we can make a very fast server just for that!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

noliVe wrote:the problem is in my opinion the games yet not worth doing pvp.
lets be fair the first person with walls wins the game
be honest what is worth focusing your research on?! OIL PROZESSING? on a PVP-Server?
once i know your starting location you get burried in my walls and walls are a pain to shoot down go try it!
and, as long as you move you cannot be hit . yes granades, still you have to run and once you are empty on granades
the pVp game is over because once i found your base you will be burried in walls.
so you have to make proper rules to have a nice fight maybe with tanks and turrets .

BUT i would spend a full dedicated server just for PVP if someone would do the MOD -Part we can even have a 4 hour restart timer on the map
or if someone can do a scenario for restarts AWESOME .

or if someone can organise it PLEASE message me we can make a very fast server just for that!
Walls aren't that effective when you have nukes :).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Most multiplayer games are probably people playing coop, with friends, in private. How does pvp even make sense in a game where you spend hours and hours on building stuff?

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

"Walls aren't that effective when you have nukes :).
NUKES?

have you seen what you need to research that? and how many hours you need to reasearch it?, how far away you think 2 factions are stationed? how many materials and what kind of base you have to build to archive NUKE researchl... in PvP you dont have that time rly a train! ;D there so many things to put a rule on

#1 24 Hours no fight
#2 dont destroy buildings/infrastruktur
#3 1h stopfighting if someone get killed

you really want to play pvp like this? ;D BOOOOOORING to hell

and trust me if i find your base. i put you in a WallyParadise.Hf destroying your own base with nukes^^ oh i forgot have you checked what you need to build a nuke? and are you sure you can kill me with one?

SO ...

Thats why PvP is not popular there are very good mods "spacebook"+"rso" that can help doing it easier

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

Most multiplayer games are probably people playing coop, with friends, in private. How does pvp even make sense in a game where you spend hours and hours on building stuff?
asked that on Minecraft too. ?

and look what happend. PvP is not always killing and destroying . So many great minigames have been created ( painting, spleef, .... ) see the list here http://www.minecraftmaps.com/game-maps

Return to “Multiplayer”