i cant play on my friends map > 3fps > any solutions?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Jesus8000
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

i cant play on my friends map > 3fps > any solutions?

Post by Jesus8000 »

i get a huge delay if i join his map (2-3 sec) between actions.
he have a 200k internet.
and if i download his huge map i got 40 fps

so what can i do / or he, to play together?
sorry, my english is not the yellow from the egg.... 4give me

buckplug
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: i cant play on my friends map > 3fps > any solutions?

Post by buckplug »

When you say 200k internet, what do you mean? If it's 200kbit, it's really slow. If it's 200kbyte it's still slow, but it should work provided that's his upload speed, not his download speed.

It sounds like he just has a really slow internet connection. The best you can do is make sure he isn't streaming anything else (no music, netflix, youtube, torrents, etc) and see if that improves things. Otherwise the game would have to be hosted somewhere where there's a faster internet connection.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well actually the OP's problem sounds like the typical situation in large bases if the host or server has a faster computer than the client. The OP says he is only able to get 40 fps in single player on that map. If the host has a faster computer and can get even 45 FPS in single player, then the OP will always be falling behind, and unable to keep up.

The solution there would be to slow down Factorio with

Code: Select all

/c game.speed=0.5

buckplug
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by buckplug »

If OP falls behind 5 fps on the same map, why would that cause a drop to 3fps on multiplayer?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Ok. Factorio multiplayer works by each computer simulating the exact same world, and only the player commands are sent between systems. Because of that the client must keep up with the server (if it can't the game will become unplayable for the client). So when it is behind the client saves some cpu cycles by only rendering about every 10th frame.

So once the client is behind, if he is only simulating the world at 30 something UPS, his computer will only be rendering at 3 FPS. Given the Jesus8000 can only manage 40 FPS in singleplayer (meaning 40 UPS in singleplayer, since factorio doesn't drop frames there) and in multiplayer his processor has to do more work than in singleplayer, I would expect the him to get less than 40 UPS in multi-player. Note that if he is getting only 40 ups in single player, the update the render cycle is about 25ms. For most systems (eg my 7 year old HD 5770) rendering will typically take about 1-2ms, so the time saved by dropping frames won't be enough to help him if his friend is able to get 45 or more ups.

tazdu29
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tazdu29 »

Jesus8000 wrote:i get a huge delay if i join his map (2-3 sec) between actions.
he have a 200k internet.
and if i download his huge map i got 40 fps

so what can i do / or he, to play together?
yeah, as said earlier, 200K what? potatoes?

Can you please provide your hand his PC configuration? and internet speedtests? It'd help alot finding where's the problem!

Return to “Technical Help”