Multiplayer Griefers seem to be increasing

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

Multiplayer Griefers seem to be increasing

Post by Tony3D »

I have been enjoying the game for slightly over two months myself. Noticing a very sharp increase in people logging in and destroying bases that have had a play time over 4-5 hours. I would now say 75%, or more, of the game maps that I participate are being destroyed by this type of player. The damage is usually enough for the other players to abandon the game. Very rarely minor changes to belt configurations or reversing inserters - its much worse - actually either ripping out infrastructure usually using construction robots or helping themselves to the grenades etc.

I hope that demonstration players are not able to create a multiplayer account name. I would be surprised if someone that actually purchased this game would do the damage but most of them are experienced and know what to target.

A game setting to prevent someone from using construction robots to destroy large areas possibly for the first 30 minutes of their personal login (i.e. not the game elapsed time) would slow them down a lot. Maybe set on by default but a game administrator could override (often at that time there is nobody with administrator permissions on and when they return the game has been damaged or is empty.

The method using armory would be a lot harder to police. Maybe if in the first 30 minutes of game play if the damage is done to infrastructure but with logic to test that there are no biters close to the point of attack.

That leaves the ones that go for power, storage or other infrastructure and just start ripping it up until they are kicked from game. Understanding how they think I personally would not mind if the time is slightly increased every time that you rip up any infrastructure for the first 10-15 minutes of personal login.

I purchased the game myself but was wondering are people that are using a demonstration version or some type of easily created free account name are allowed to participate in the multiplayer games?

Damage happens less frequently on games with mods probably because it is harder to switch off/on the required mods for each game. I was going to suggest an option to make it easier for me to toggle mods to match a game with mods because it can be a hassle to swap between the mods page and the game list until you get the list correct. My fear now is that Griefers will take advantage of this to ruin even more games.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multiplayer Griefers seem to be increasing

Post by Optera »

Try Spacebook, it makes it easy to set up a guest faction for unknown players.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Tony3D wrote:I hope that demonstration players are not able to create a multiplayer account name. I would be surprised if someone that actually purchased this game would do the damage but most of them are experienced and know what to target.
Tony3D wrote:I purchased the game myself but was wondering are people that are using a demonstration version or some type of easily created free account name are allowed to participate in the multiplayer games?
To use the Browse Public Games feature of the multiplayer a player has to login with a paid Factorio account. Even if the griefer knew the IP/port of the server (or got it from the Games browser and just wants to hide his real identity) and connected directly he won't be able to join the majority of servers without verified login because they by default have the Verify User Identity feature enabled which checks if he has a paid account and even then only allows him to login with his actual Factorio username.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tony3D »

Thanks for comments. But sort of missing the point. Vanilla games seem to be the ones that are more popular but also most abused because there is not really any protection.

As a player, knowing that most of the multiplayer maps will be most likely destroyed by someone, greatly reduces my interest in spending a lot of time helping on other peoples maps. That is really the first opportunity to network with other current Factorio players.

If telling other people about Factorio I would have to describe the current vanilla multiplayer environment as toxic. Not sure that I would recommend that aspect of Factorio to a friend in a positive way. It is the kind of topic that impacts sales volumes and people's perception of value for money.

I started playing this game because I enjoyed it and could learn it in much more interesting way by using a multiplayer game than watching others mistakes on youtube. If I start playing say seven games in a row and they are all vandalised after 3-4 hours - I was not in a good mood after it happened. The only positive thing was that after it happened I would get off the computer and go do something else.

ABOG19
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ABOG19 »

I recently hosted a server game and had a greifer log on and flame up my steam gens. They tried to make it look like the bitters attacked and destroyed it all and then tried convincing me that was the truth.

Just annoying for me. Just went back to a previous save and reloaded server. Wish i could ban them but i saved a game i was on and not admin.

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

There is a simple solution - password your server.

You can then provide login information at another URL eg a Discord server or Google Drive link, and provide the URL in your game description.

I'm assuming, of course, that griefers are too idle or unintelligent to go to additional trouble of looking up the link.
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

and as always you can have multiple savegames for your game as backup.
we are trying to get griefers in control with severel tactics but true, its getting toxic ;P nice word!

as always dont blame people for their hatred against others... THEir victory is when people argue and fight and start a conversation with them. Dont fell for their tricks keep calm its a game.
of course it is sad they do this. but you cannot change the fact. keep calm! tell your friends to enjoy the game and teach them. its an addictive game you cannot end ;P

We are working on a global banlist. but as always IT IS DIFFICULT to compare the violence what is griefing , why should we ban everyone?! whats the other viewpoint? maybe a talkproblem or translation problem?
how to tell what is wrong and should banned and what is just a slight fun part..

BUT! Still... WUBE! get your hands into this one! if you want to have success in the future you have to consider MULTIPLAYER features like anti-griefing ...if you can´t this kills the game!!
it happend to counterstrike/ halflife, starcraft even world of warcraft (bots) cheating will lead to frustration to others players WUBE! START THINKING more please!

Return to “Multiplayer”