Render Factorio map for web use?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
NorDemoniac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Render Factorio map for web use?

Post by NorDemoniac »

Hi!
I'm a new player of Factorio, long player of Minecraft. As I run a Minecraft-server I also set up Overviewer, which lets you render an isometric map over what has been explored.
You also have DynMap which is a mod, live-updating so you can see the players in real time. I've only tried Overviewer, which renders once every 15 minutes, server doesn't skip a beat, and everyone can see the changes being made.

Is there anything similar for Factorio? I've seen some mods, but not a lot of information about it.

I'm thinking for the server side, not the player side. I'd love the ability to have a high-res map over everything, maybe also the option to save snaps from a certain location at a set time, to create time lapse videos.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Render Factorio map for web use?

Post by Zeblote »

There's no such thing in factorio. The closest is probably https://mods.factorio.com/mods/credomane/FactorioMaps, but it runs on the client side and doesn't update live.

NorDemoniac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NorDemoniac »

Awh, I hope there will be a possibility for something similar in the future :mrgreen:

MakCuber
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MakCuber »

Any updates on this idea? Id be looking for something equivalent to Mapcrafter for Minecraft, where its a completely separate application written in C++ that generates image files that are then organized and presented via the google maps api. Are there any projects in the works that are like this for Factorio? I mean you would basically just need to get the in-game map generator to somehow export to a file that can then be viewed externally.

ShadowXVII
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ShadowXVII »

I've used overviewer on my Minecraft servers -- it's super neat.

Factorio really lends itself to the overviewer-style map. In-fact it'd probably be easier than Minecraft as there's no isometric model -- just top down.

Anyone proficient with python? Something adapted from overviewer which reads the save for from the server side at defined intervals would be awesome.

ShadowXVII
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ShadowXVII »

Seems there was a go a few years ago;

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=5812&hilit=FactorioMaps

Perhaps the plugin can be responsible for dumping images then perhaps an external program to split them up (similar to overviewer). I imagine it's too much work to have the game engine run it.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

It would be great if the forums themselves had some sort of magic for blueprints and in-game screenshots. I have discovered that the reddit/discord blueprint bot is based on this thing: https://github.com/demodude4u/Factorio-FBSR.git

Personally, my java-foo is not strong enough to understand how to compile and run this code.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

golfmiketango wrote:It would be great if the forums themselves had some sort of magic for blueprints and in-game screenshots. I have discovered that the reddit/discord blueprint bot is based on this thing: https://github.com/demodude4u/Factorio-FBSR.git

Personally, my java-foo is not strong enough to understand how to compile and run this code.
It's a bit off-topic, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it'd be really cool if we could get that bot on the forums.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Jap2.0 wrote:
golfmiketango wrote:It would be great if the forums themselves had some sort of magic for blueprints and in-game screenshots. I have discovered that the reddit/discord blueprint bot is based on this thing: https://github.com/demodude4u/Factorio-FBSR.git

It's a bit off-topic, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it'd be really cool if we could get that bot on the forums.
Sorry, I should have mentioned why I thought of it -- I think it works by invoking the factorio executable and asking it to render the blueprint. Also I think factorio saves may be blueprints more or less under the hood. Could be way wrong, though; those are sort-of vague impressions I gleaned skimming over the code while trying to figure out how the hell maven works :)

Return to “Multiplayer”