Multiplayer Steam name (Factorio user name) ban option?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
ceymore
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Multiplayer Steam name (Factorio user name) ban option?

Post by ceymore »

Hi guys,

Too many public games get ruined by trolls / griefers, so I suggest (if the devs hear me):

1) To have a list with players in game so we can select the person to be banned (last time we had a guy with a nickname .. so we could not type his nicknamename).

2) If it is possible to be able to keep a banlist (even better if it is shareable somehow between players) that identify banned players by steam name or factorio account name (as I understand there is an option to change your name so simply banning a nickname would not have much effect)

In my opinion this would solve a lot of issues and add to the already really awesome multiplayer experience!

P.S. there was a guy who suggested, and maybe it is a good idea - to have a VoteBan command (maybe allowed / disallowed by admin) for multiplayer games.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multiplayer Steam name (Factorio user name) ban option?

Post by impetus maximus »

if you're the server owner, enable 'Verify User Identity:' when creating a server.
this forces users to use their Factorio login name. if an admin bans them, they can't rename/rejoin.

voteban would get abused IMO. imagine joining a server, and getting vote-banned for no reason.

if a server has active admins, griefers shouldn't be too much of a problem.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Multiplayer Steam name (Factorio user name) ban option?

Post by luc »

Seconded on that voteban would be abused, assuming bans are permanent.

In another game someone made a mod that turned kickvotes into temporary bans, for maybe 20 minutes (typically the maximum length of a game). That worked wonders to get annoying people out (they'd otherwise keep reconnecting and people got bored of voting). Next time an admin came around, they'd see the history (or be told by someone) and if the player was known for it (small community) a longer ban would be put in place.

Return to “Multiplayer”