Failing with headless server

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Failing with headless server

Post by Bytenex »

Hi there,

I don't know what else to do. Maybe somebody of the people out there has an idea.

I set up the 0.12.3 server on a Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS. I got my IPTABLES configured to allow traffic on port 34197 (udp).
Now the problem:
-> 2 people tried to enter the server via internet
-> The first one (doesn't matter who) can always connect
-> When the second joins both will get "unknown player timing out"
-> Second player gets kicked and first player will stay on the server
-> We can both connect to each other (when hosting a game on our computers, so local firewall shouldn't be the problem)

Is there anything (maybe obvious) that I'm missing? Please help.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Failing with headless server

Post by sillyfly »

Logs from all parties may be helpful (First and second player, and server if possible).
Also - does the same thing happen when you have three players playing, not on the headless server?

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

I'm sorry I don't have a client log at the moment. But still here is the server log.

We already played with 3 people without the headless server but not with the current version.
Attachments
factorio-server.log
(44.76 KiB) Downloaded 326 times

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

You might have the same problem I had when setting up my server.
I could connect to my server if I was the first client, but no one else could.
If anyone was connected already, the I couldn't connect anymore.

The error was: Following peers are not responding: unknown username, unknown username, ...

You need to make sure that not only the server has UDP 34197 open, but all clients have to as well.
In my case I could connect to the server when I was the only client, even if 34197 wasn't open on my side. But it didn't work with another client on the server.

You could try testing if your 34197 UDP is open by joining any public server that has at least 1 client already connected, or maybe all 3 of you joining the same public server and see whether that works.
I looked for ways to test if the port is open by other means, but didn't really find an answer to that. UDP is tricky that way.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

We already opened the ports in Windows Firewall and forwarded them through the router. As I said we can both host games for another. I appreciate your help but I already tried all of this. Thats why I'm out of ideas what else could be the problem...

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

Hurray,

Patch 0.12.4 did it. Making the server work as a relay fixed my issues. I didn't change anything on any of the computers/server and it worked like a charm. Thats what I was waiting for. Thanks to all Devs who fixed MP :D

Return to “Multiplayer”