Can't connect to multiplayer server

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
idan10000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Can't connect to multiplayer server

Post by idan10000 »

So my and my friend want to play together, i have setup the port as it says in the wiki and its not working. every time he tries to connect it says "Couldn't establish network connection with server". i treid using hamachi and it still dosn't work.
Does anybody know how to fix it?

Krum555
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Can't connect to multiplayer server

Post by Krum555 »

first of do you have a router if so see below:
1.go to your connection settings and see what is your local IPv4 address (example: 192.168.0.101 < the last number is the important one because if in your local network you have more than one PC that number is different for each one(it can be 192.168.0.102 or 192.168.0.103 etc.)).
2.open your internet browser and type your local IPv4 DNS address (example: 192.168.0.1)
(depends on the router)3. if a username and password popup the default username and password for most routers is "admin" or "Admin".
4.go to "Port forwarding" or just "Forwarding" and type "34197" in the field where it says "Service Port" and in the field that says "Internal Port" you past your local IPv4 address (example: 192.168.0.101) in the field where it says "IP Address" then you save the changes make sure to do that.
5.then you go to google you type "my ip" and you get your PUBLIC IP (example: 55.555.55.555 (this is just an example it doesn't have to be 3 numbers in a roll)).
6. finally you send your friend your PUBLIC IP and the port of the game witch is "34197" and you play together Enjoy.

NooB_AssassinZ3
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NooB_AssassinZ3 »

idan10000 wrote:So my and my friend want to play together, i have setup the port as it says in the wiki and its not working. every time he tries to connect it says "Couldn't establish network connection with server". i treid using hamachi and it still dosn't work.
Does anybody know how to fix it?
Check if Factorio can go through the firewall:
CTRL panel/System and security/Windows Firewall(im assuming your on windows)/Allowed Apps
now see if Factorio is checked

Bluebones
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bluebones »

I have the same problem and I have followed all of these directions. The game worked fine for my friend and I in 11.22 but he can't connect to me in 12.0. As far as I know I have not changed anything. My other games which require port forwarding still work fine.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Bluebones wrote:I have the same problem and I have followed all of these directions. The game worked fine for my friend and I in 11.22 but he can't connect to me in 12.0. As far as I know I have not changed anything. My other games which require port forwarding still work fine.
just to rule out obvious issues first, even tho we might presume nothing besides the game version changed:
- your friend forwarded his port as well did he? (if not, ensure both of you set up port forwarding correctly)

or just use Evolve ;)
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

Bluebones
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bluebones »

I am not exactly sure what you mean @Bisa. If my friend is connecting to me why does he need to step up port forwarding?

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Bluebones wrote:I am not exactly sure what you mean @Bisa. If my friend is connecting to me why does he need to step up port forwarding?
I'm not sure it matters a great deal when it's only two clients since he is the one to initiate the connection in the first place (just to be sure, just ensure both of you have port forwarding set up correctly in your own routers) - but if you factor in a third peer it really does matter, since all peers need to be able to connect to eachother.
That is, all participants/clients/peers of a game need to setup port forwarding properly to be able to play.

As Cube explained in https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =10#p93014 once a new peer joins the "server" or any client for that matter, the already connected peers are sent to the new peer so this new peer can initiate contact with the others as well - if the new peer cannot get through the firewalls of each already connected peer the new peer will not be able to join the game.

So, just as a precautionary action - ensure you're both port forwarded properly before you continue the error search.

zach2759
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zach2759 »

Bisa wrote:
Bluebones wrote:I am not exactly sure what you mean @Bisa. If my friend is connecting to me why does he need to step up port forwarding?
I'm not sure it matters a great deal when it's only two clients since he is the one to initiate the connection in the first place (just to be sure, just ensure both of you have port forwarding set up correctly in your own routers) - but if you factor in a third peer it really does matter, since all peers need to be able to connect to eachother.
That is, all participants/clients/peers of a game need to setup port forwarding properly to be able to play.

As Cube explained in https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =10#p93014 once a new peer joins the "server" or any client for that matter, the already connected peers are sent to the new peer so this new peer can initiate contact with the others as well - if the new peer cannot get through the firewalls of each already connected peer the new peer will not be able to join the game.

So, just as a precautionary action - ensure you're both port forwarded properly before you continue the error search.
Thats wrong cause me and two friends played together and i was the only one who port forwarded then a couple days later after we played for 3-4 days they just couldnt connect but they never port forwarded.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

zach2759 wrote:Thats wrong cause me and two friends played together and i was the only one who port forwarded then a couple days later after we played for 3-4 days they just couldnt connect but they never port forwarded.
Nice necro post m8 ;)

for any future readers - my above comment does not apply any longer, the entire thread even - since the rewrite Wube did on the network code some time last year?

Return to “Multiplayer”