Earth Economy Multiplayer Map HELP

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
RawChicken
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Earth Economy Multiplayer Map HELP

Post by RawChicken »

Hello, first post here, long time player. For some time Ive been wanting to set up a multiplayer map but need help with some topics I don't even know how to start addressing, so I thought I would ask the forum.

Need help with:
- Setting up a dedicated server (paid/rented, I don't own a computer to host the server 24/7) that will list the game in the public games list.
- Scripting to allow players to select their spawn point based on a list of available options.

IDEA:
The idea is to have a big map with Earth shape (but flat), where players spawn in their chosen cities and build their factories there. Although small patches of ore will be distributed around the map to allow simple bases to spawn, large and dense patches of ore will only be available at specific areas (for example, middle east will have TONS of oil). Players will then have to create distribution networks around the world to get resources where they are needed, or to be processed and distributed further.

I already have the Earth map, although the large patches of ore are not set yet.

Need help with (part II):
-Server:
I would like this map to be online 24/7 and accessible to people with low ping. I have neither a computer available to run the server 24/7 nor a good internet connection, so hosting it myself is not an option. I'm happy to pay for a rented server, problem is that I've been reading about it and the more I read the less I understand. I have no idea how to set it up and it all looks like a black hole to me, so I would need help from someone that knows how to set up a server to teach me.
-Map code:
I would like players to spawn wherever they choose from a list of cities, so players can choose to set a factory in their IRL city if that is what they want. So upon joining the game, a choose your spawning point list should appear.

Future steps:
If this idea turns to work out and people like it, another step forward would be to separate players by "teams" based on their chosen country, each team having their own tech tree.

If you are interested on playing this idea of a map and/or can help make it real please drop a line, this will also help to know how many people are interested to play. I will set up a discord channel if there is interest!

Thank you for reading!

Keltamar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Earth Economy Multiplayer Map HELP

Post by Keltamar »

Hello =)

are you still looking for help? This project sounds interesting. I already had a server runing for myself and my brother. But we stoped playing a while ago. I can setup the server and probably help with the moding required. I work as a software developer.

If you are still into this project let me know. I am eager to see your current progress, the map and maybe more details. I would be glad to meet you in voice chat to discuss the details.

Greetings
Keltamar

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

If you are, I would like to join in on the fun.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Keltamar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Keltamar »

seems like the project is dead...

RawChicken
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RawChicken »

Hello everyone. Thanks for the replies, I saw little interest and forgot about the project.
Keltamar wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:24 pm
are you still looking for help?
Yes! Thank you! I will send you a PM with contact information.

Anyone else interested on this project, either to help or to play, just leave a message and I will contact you if things work out. I will also post updates on this thread.

Rafiz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rafiz »

For machine hosting I cannot advice you in few words, as it's quite complicated, but you could find some simple to use ready factorio servers (I don't know if it exist, but maybe it does) and if that doens't exist you can buy(or find free?) some remote virtual machine and use SSH client to access console on that virtual machine. I'm using google cloud and it let's you set up machine with pre-instaled linux, which is great! Than you just need to put game on that disk and run it. All you really need to know is to type google cloud and follow their many tutorials they have.

Assuming you use linux remote machine :
I put simple command

Code: Select all

./bin/x64/factorio --start-server-load-latest --server-settings ./data/server-settings.json
inside run.sh (or any other short name for script) and run it from console evrytime I want to start server. You also must put some save file so that "start-server-load-latest" flag has something to load (it will load latest autosave/save later on, It's not best flag if you want to have multiple separate games, so I would recommend to have saves from only one world for 1 headless factorio folder) . I usually make save file on my personal computer, to just have a look at spawn area, have already all mods "hard written" to be in save, etc etc and than send it to remote machine into factorio/saves folder. I think it's easier than setting server up with game starting settings, looking at server, having to re-make all of that once it fails... Just making new world in singleplayer factorio will result in better world, quicker to check up, easier to adjust settings.

Also theres interesting thing that when I connected via SSH and ran factorio on remote machine server went down after closing SSH console. To counter that I now use "screen". I simply write 'screen' than (either install it (sudo apt-get install screen), or ) accept message with enter and than I run server ./run.sh and I can close SSH connection window. Than if you want access closed window you might look into 'man screen' to know how to do it, or use like 'htop' to just kill it if that's your intent. Just don't kill server twice (unless it's frozen). Killing factorio server ONCE will perform gentle quit. So you can ctr-c it or kill it from manager - and nothing bad will probably happen game saves and server normally quits, that's unless you send kill signal twice - than it will quit immidietly.

For networking you just must open single port 34197 for UDP (unles you will use config.ini to use other port) aand I never had problems with firewall on Linux. don't know how about windows, but... Just don't use windows for headless factorio machine. If you already have dedicated virtual machine and have to control it remotely... Linux is better for that.

Xapurri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Xapurri »

Hello! I love the idea! Is there someone still interested in bringing this project alive?

I have some ideas about the project we can put in common!

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

You might find my two mods a helpful starting point:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FactorioEarth

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CitiesOfEarth

I do not control spawning of resources for the entire planet in these mods, but adding that could be done through a module and startup option.

As an aside, I run my mods and am developing builds to put in each city. I used to host it, but only attracted trolls and it is easier to just run it locally.
If you'd like try it out or work with me, let me know. This offer applies to anyone reading this message who isn't on a ban list. :)

RawChicken
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RawChicken »

hyspeed wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:26 pm
You might find my two mods a helpful starting point:
Hi! That is awesome, thank you. I'm def still interested in this idea and I'm happy to see others are too. I think many people would like to play this! Im happy to try it out with you too, shoot me a pm and lets see when can we meet!

For everyone that answered: I'm not on the forums so often so if anyone else wants to join, a PM will notify me through my email. But also write here to let others know the status of this. I'd love to see this happen

Return to “Multiplayer”