[0.12.x][v0.12.11] Bob's Warfare mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should new alien artifacts be used in new ammo recipes?

Poll ended at Wed May 13, 2015 12:43 am

No, leave the recipes more or less as they are
12%
Yes, Use coloured alien artifacts directly in ammo recipes
12%
Yes, Use coloured alien artifacts to make a new intermediate item, of which is used in new ammo recipes
76%

Total votes: 17

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.12.x][v0.12.11] Bob's Warfare mod

Post by bobingabout »

I know you've all been waiting for this, so I decided to tidy up my code and release the first stage of my warefare mod. I remember starting work on this even before the Logistics mod, or Electronics Overide back in v0.10 of factorio... I've been putting it off way too long.

Downloads:
v0.12.x
Latest: V0.12.11 - 26th June 2016
Dropbox Latest
Archive

As of 0.12.6, the Library Mod is required.

A short list of what is added by this mod.
Better ammo for bullets, shotgun and rockets
better tanks, with a new gun type: Artillery.
some additional weapons, including the new laser weapon type.
better gun and laser turrets, with new sniper turret.
Upgraded versions of pretty much all equipment for use in the modular power armor.
and new armors too (regular and modular power armors)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.2] Bob's Warefare mod

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

YES!!! You made my day!!!! I hope it will be better than Dytech Warfare!!! Then I can only play with your mods. I love you! Thanks man!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:YES!!! You made my day!!!! I hope it will be better than Dytech Warfare!!! Then I can only play with your mods. I love you! Thanks man!
Well, there's only Ammo so far, for the bullet using guns, I'll hopefully be adding more options by next weekend, and even more things too. I'm just getting into the swing of modding again.

Let me know what you think, Personally, I think the AP bullets may be just a little OP. I decided to add a new damage type, Piercing, and being a new damage type, should have no resistances, so should only be a small part of the total weapon damage, since it effectively ignores armor. My bullets have 15 damage, my AP bullets have 15 damage +10 AP damage. This may be too high. Let me know how it goes.
I also have a Patreon.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

I have look into it tomorrow but that you release it is great and you release regularly normaly and I'm just happy. Before I start a new worl in survival I wait a bit for new stuff.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

For balance I'd remove electronic logic boards from the recipe for basic modular armor and the portable solar panels. That way there is something worthwhile between heavy armor and power armor mk1. In the base game armor crafting 3 is a green science tech and it isn't much work to get blue circuits up compared to the additional gold mining/smelting and the additional lines for ICs, glass, fiberglass boards, superior circuit boards and the electronic logic boards them selves. With my play style and the use of RSO it takes me a bit longer to get stuff set up.

Also the override for piercing-shotgun-pellet piercing damage doesn't seem to show up in tooltips(but it shows up for the base piercing rounds magazine).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

not sure about the shotgun shells... I did add the extra 1 piercing damage to both it, and the piercing bullets, not sure why it isn't reporting it. Perhaps I added it wrong?
I also have a Patreon.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

bobingabout wrote:
Starting from where MCI ends, this is what I have
Nitric Acid + Sulfuric Acid -> Acid Mixture
Light Oil -> Glycerol
Acid Mixture + Glycerol -> Nitroglycerin
Heavy oil -> Petroleum Jelly
(Synthetic) Wood + Nitric Acid -> guncotton

Nitroglycerin + Petroleum Jelly + Guncotton -> Cordite
Gunmetal -> Bullet Casing
steel -> Magazine case
copper plate + lead plate -> bullet projectile
copper plate + tungsten plate -> AP bullet projectile

(AP) bullet projectile + bullet casing + cordite -> (AP) bullet
(AP) Bullets + magazine case -> (AP) Bullet magazine
Can you add the Liquids to your barrelling system.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Lee_newsum wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
Starting from where MCI ends, this is what I have
Nitric Acid + Sulfuric Acid -> Acid Mixture
Light Oil -> Glycerol
Acid Mixture + Glycerol -> Nitroglycerin
Heavy oil -> Petroleum Jelly
(Synthetic) Wood + Nitric Acid -> guncotton

Nitroglycerin + Petroleum Jelly + Guncotton -> Cordite
Gunmetal -> Bullet Casing
steel -> Magazine case
copper plate + lead plate -> bullet projectile
copper plate + tungsten plate -> AP bullet projectile

(AP) bullet projectile + bullet casing + cordite -> (AP) bullet
(AP) Bullets + magazine case -> (AP) Bullet magazine
Can you add the Liquids to your barrelling system.
Most of these liquids already existed when I wrote the barrelling system, but I chose not to allow them to be barreled for one reason or another.

I suppose if I were to add any, it would be Nitric Acid, and Glycerol. Nitrogen Oxide, acid mix and Nitroglycerin are 3 I won't add, the latter 2 of the 3 are "unstable", Shouldn't even be piped really, but how else would you get them from one factory to another? moving on, how hard is it to make these liquids? Glycerol is just Light Oil in a Chemical plant, so it's so easy to make, I wasn't going to barrel it, which just leaves Nitric Acid on the List. Since this is basically just mixing other liquids, all of which can be created from barrelled liquids, or from the compressed air from an air compressor, so requires nothing but electricity, and barrels as inputs.

long story short... I'll think about that Nitric Acid.
I also have a Patreon.

mieze :3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mieze :3 »

Hai.

So I watch a Youtuber who likes gnus and often rants about unrealistic and inproper named things in games. So I winced when I saw the (AP) stuff.
I propose the renaming of
'bullet projectile' to just 'Bullet' or 'Projectile',
'Bullet Casing' to 'Cartridge Casing',
'bullet' to 'Cartridge', 'Round' or 'Shell'.

I think there were others, but I wrote this several days ago. I was distracted with research of firearm technology and history on Wikipedia. :3

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mieze :3 wrote:Hai.

So I watch a Youtuber who likes gnus and often rants about unrealistic and inproper named things in games. So I winced when I saw the (AP) stuff.
I propose the renaming of
'bullet projectile' to just 'Bullet' or 'Projectile',
'Bullet Casing' to 'Cartridge Casing',
'bullet' to 'Cartridge', 'Round' or 'Shell'.

I think there were others, but I wrote this several days ago. I was distracted with research of firearm technology and history on Wikipedia. :3
Although what you say is valid...

The part fired from the gun is the "Projectile". Calling the projectile a "Bullet" is technically wrong since that's the name of the entity as a whole, not the part fired from the gun.
the part that holds the explosive, and holds the rest together is the "Cartridge" or "Casing"
and the entity as a whole is known as the "Bullet" or "Round". "Shell" only applies to either large ammunition, or shotgun rounds.

I chose to use the term "Bullet" as it is fired from a gun, vs "Shell" as fired from the shotgun, to help differentiate the difference between a Pistol/Rifle round, and a shotgun round. Also a good reason to use the term bullet is because Factorio already uses the term.

You can summerise that the "Projectile" is designed to be used as part of a "Bullet", and the "Casing" is also designed to be part of a "Bullet"
Therefore, the Projectile is a Bullet's projectile, shortened to "Bullet Projectile", and the casing is a Bullet's casing, shortened to "Bullet Casing".
This also comes into play later, to help differentiate things when I have a "Shotgun shell casing" for a shotgun round/shell.
These bullets then go in a magazine. To help the player know what type of bullet is in the magazine, I named them "Bullet Magazene" and "AP Bullet Magazine". and in the newer version I'm working on, "Explosive Bullet magazine", and so on.

Make sense?
Keep in mind that the names are aimed to help people who don't know how a bullet is made, or people who can't understand english too well. the average person when looking for some ammo for his gun is likely going to look for "Bullet" before anything else.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Сombat robotics - add armored flying robot frame
1) Any improvements for battle flying robots in future? this will increase their survival rate in combat because we'll have new enemies from your mod :D
2) Any tanks improvements like in dytech in future?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:
Сombat robotics - add armored flying robot frame
1) Any improvements for battle flying robots in future? this will increase their survival rate in combat because we'll have new enemies from your mod :D
2) Any tanks improvements like in dytech in future?
1. Yes, For the moment I am concentrating on Ammo and Player Weapons, but I have a large list of warfare equipment I plan to add.
2. New vehicles, yes.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Idea - titanium for armor in new tanks and for new battle robots? what metalls and alloys can be used in your warfare mod?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:Idea - titanium for armor in new tanks and for new battle robots? what metalls and alloys can be used in your warfare mod?
I was probably going to use Titanium anyway. Since warfare requires MCI, and the latest warfare requires at least version 0.7.9 of MCI (because it added something new that I'm using in the warfare mod), I can make it use anything that I've modded in myself.

So far, not much, Tungsten and Gunmetal in bullets is about it so far, and Aluminium in one of the new guns. I plan to use more.
I also have a Patreon.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

can you make a overhaul for the capsules?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kinnom wrote:can you make a overhaul for the capsules?
I wasn't going to overhaul, just expand, but they kind of do need an overhaul... using the same flying robot frames as logistic robots for example, and how many robots do you have to build to make that destroyer capsule that gives you 5 robots? It's not really logical, is it?

so this is one thing I might overhaul, yes, and it will be optional in config.lua if I do.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.3] Bob's Warefare mod

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, new update.
Since I can't remember what's new, and what's old, with no noted change log, I'll just list thing i remember.

new ammo:
7 new bullet ammo types
7 new shotgun ammo types
7 new rocket ammo types

new weapons:
Sniper rifle (bullet)
Rifle (bullet)
gattling gun (bullet, no recipe, for use as a tank weapon, not used yet)
tank cannon MK2 (tank shell, no recipe, for use as a tank weapon, not used yet)

3 new mines:
Slow mine (same result from a slow capsule)
Poison mine (same result from a poison capsule)
Destractor robot mine! (creates the same robots as from a destractor capsule)

A new experiemental attack "Miniature laser tank" drone. (same entity type as a biter.)

3 new tiers of modular power armors.
4 new tiers of shield modules
4 new tiers of battery modules
3 new tiers of fusion reactor modules.

Note, this mod is still in the beta stage, a lot of things are in a state of testing or experimentation, recipes are not final.

One of the changes I'm thinking of making is that the rainbow ammo (the 6 colour coded types, Piercing(blue), Impact(orange), Acid(purple), Explosive(yellow), Poison(purple) and Fire(red)) could require something made from Bubblegum (new coloured alien artifacts) of the same colour. (Green biters and spitters deal poison damage, and drop green artifacts, so using a green artifact as part of your ammo would make the ammo cause poison damage.)

Does that make sense?

I could simply use the artifact direct as part of the recipe, or I could make a new intermediate from the artifact that is used in the ammo recipe... I'm thinking in some cases an alien alloy. Tungsten (or it's Powder) and Blue alien artifact could make a blue alien alloy for example that is used in piercing ammo recipes.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Dammit, I've been mulling over balance issues for a Better Turrets update that supports this module, and now you go and add heaps more stuff to it?! arrrrgh worst update ever

More seriously, I'm fine with using alien artifacts as they are directly in recipes. The standard ones don't need any preprocessing before they're turned into science potions, for instance.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I would be a bit on the fence with using non-mass producible items for ammo.

If that would be their only use it would work I guess - assuming you could produce enough ammo from one to make it worth it. Some intermediate processing step could be added to make more ammo from same amount of artifacts.

PS.
Should I expect any issues if I update the mod in my running game?

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

They're used in making the new equipment as well.

Return to “Bob's mods”