[0.12.x][v0.12.11] Bob's Warfare mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should new alien artifacts be used in new ammo recipes?

Poll ended at Wed May 13, 2015 12:43 am

No, leave the recipes more or less as they are
12%
Yes, Use coloured alien artifacts directly in ammo recipes
12%
Yes, Use coloured alien artifacts to make a new intermediate item, of which is used in new ammo recipes
76%

Total votes: 17

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.9] Bob's Warfare mod

Post by bobingabout »

Buggi wrote:Hey Bob, is there a way for your biters to not attack one another... it's hurting my herding efforts for my giblet farm.
That is unfortunately a side effect of the Area damage on the spitter attacks that I added. When one biter/spitter is hit by the Area effect of another spitter, it will register it as an enemy instead of a friend, and go attack it, at which point the reverse happens too, the spitter that accidently hit the biter/spitter will attack back, and you see battles to the death.

I find it seems to make them more interesting, like internal fighting between members of the group, and gives them more personality.

To remove the behaviour though, you'll need to do a bit of modding, remove the area damage from the new attacks. However, since this is part of what makes the attack unique, I don't really want to do this.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

I figured it was the poison and dire spitters... sucks there's not an easy work-around.
- Buggi -
Here's my Humble YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexibleGames

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Could you maybe update the first post to show everything included in this mod?

Based on a short cross read, I think there is a whole ton of stuff more in this mod by now than what is discribed in the first post. Having this information scattered around is unfortunate, as most people who are new won't really know about it and won't know what's in it an all.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Question: Why do Re-Inforced Concrete Walls not actually require any Concrete to build?

Furthermore: It should be just "Reinforced", not "Re-inforced".

P.S. An earlier comment of mine may have gotten lost in the noise: viewtopic.php?p=116601#p116601

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.9] Bob's Warfare mod

Post by Porter65 »

I would very much like combat robots on land, that can be set to patrol (and attack) around the building they depend from. Something like the mod done by someone (sadly I don't recall his name) where you can tame biters and they mill around their hives, attacking any wild biters... So it can be done, definitively.

That would be a fun way to have 'live/expendable' defenses, and provide also the feeling you are slightly less alone, even if they are only robots.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Porter65 wrote:I would very much like combat robots on land, that can be set to patrol (and attack) around the building they depend from. Something like the mod done by someone (sadly I don't recall his name) where you can tame biters and they mill around their hives, attacking any wild biters... So it can be done, definitively.

That would be a fun way to have 'live/expendable' defenses, and provide also the feeling you are slightly less alone, even if they are only robots.
That's basically what the robot tank is (can't remember it's name), except that doesn't have a hive, so it just wanders around aimlessly.
I also have a Patreon.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

very nice, but they wander within a certain range of your buildings right, or you find them dying far away from your base? :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Porter65 wrote:very nice, but they wander within a certain range of your buildings right, or you find them dying far away from your base? :D
Aimless, so a bit of both. You'll find they suddenly just all run off to attack a biter base, like how biters attack yours.
I also have a Patreon.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

So they should be kept in 'concrete cages perhaps' ? Can they walk through doors, opening them in the process? If not, it is manageable, if yes, they are not worth much.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not certain on their interaction with gates. I think a gate does open when they aproach it, so they can wander through them, but really don't know at all if they can path through a closed gate. This would require playing the game and watching them closely, something which I can't really do right now.
I also have a Patreon.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Ok, if I reach this point, which is not obvious given the very hard difficulty settings I set, I'll tell you. I think they can be used as last ditch defense though. i.e picture a walled rectangle with exits being replaced by turrets. If turrets are destroyed, then the robots there are free to go. So they act as emergency guards only, if defenses are breached.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I suppose you're talking abut either a robot auto-spawning turret (Fake alien spawner) which is possible, or some kind of roboport based combat robot controller (Which I'd like to do) but isn't currently possible.

Either way, we'll see.
I also have a Patreon.

TheRealBecks
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheRealBecks »

Hi guys, hi bobingabout,

I have modded Bob's Warfare mod v0.12.9 and created "Becks' Warfare mod v0.12.9". Yeah, about 99+ % are still the original mod, but I needed to do this:
base >= 0.12.0
boblibrary >= 0.12.0
? bobplates >= 0.12.7
? bobconfig >= 0.12.0
? bobenemies >= 0.12.0
My mod is some kind of "standalone", so you don't need bobplates and bobores anymore. In this mod I replaced the missing items from the other mods with "simpler" items from the vanilla factorio, so yeah it's easier to produce the items from beckswarfare (bobwarfare), but you get the warfare items and that's the point.

@bobingabout: Your mod is awesome, but for some people and for me the other required mods are too complex :) I already did some groundwork in "my" (your) mod, so all items with replaced incredients were also added to the "recipe-updates.lua", which is now 407 lines big. What I haven't reworked is the "technology-updates.lua" and I only commented the not available technolgies out. It would be very great, if you will update your mod with the changes made by me and put some effort in it, to get a) the missing pieces done and b) replace some incredients with more complex incredients, because the gane is not that hard for the player with the changes I've made ;)

@all: Have fun with this mod and thank bobingabout for his modifications.

Regards,
Becks
Attachments
beckswarfare_0.12.9.zip
(875.54 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

IhanaMies
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IhanaMies »

Becks, you should make a list of changes. I don't think he will dig through your modification since there's so many files to check. That demands a lot of his time.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Actually for any modder the comparison would be trivial and really fast. Just open your favorite DIFF tool and set the original folder and the modified folder as the 2 sources to compare and it will auto highlight all changes between the two.

TheRealBecks
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheRealBecks »

seronis wrote:Actually for any modder the comparison would be trivial and really fast. Just open your favorite DIFF tool and set the original folder and the modified folder as the 2 sources to compare and it will auto highlight all changes between the two.
Yep, that's correct :) And these tools auto-compare the whole project, so you don't need to compare every single file.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Technically, what you did can be considered as "Redistributing a modified version of Bob's Warfare mod", which is against the Terms of use.

However, I can understand why you did this, it's a "feature" that a fair few people have requested that I havn't done, and not something that can be solved by my recomended action (Making a mod that modifies the contents of my mod, to be used alongside it), so... I'm going to allow it.

I would apreciate a full list of recipe changes though, I may try to encorporate them, or something similar into the official next release.
I also have a Patreon.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Actually you dont have a restricting license listed in the OP so he had no reason to assume he did anything wrong (which he didnt). That aside I'm only just starting to look how Factorio mods are organized but isnt it possible for him to make a mod that just has your warfare as a dependancy (requiring it to be loaded first) and then grab your recipes out of the data table and edit them? I can do similar things with LUA in Dont Starve modding at least. Not sure how sandboxed one mods code is from another here.

(just saying he should be able to accomplish his goal without distributing your code at all)

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

seronis wrote:That aside I'm only just starting to look how Factorio mods are organized but isnt it possible for him to make a mod that just has your warfare as a dependancy (requiring it to be loaded first) and then grab your recipes out of the data table and edit them? (just saying he should be able to accomplish his goal without distributing your code at all)
Yes, this is quite possible.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Supercheese wrote:
seronis wrote:That aside I'm only just starting to look how Factorio mods are organized but isnt it possible for him to make a mod that just has your warfare as a dependancy (requiring it to be loaded first) and then grab your recipes out of the data table and edit them? (just saying he should be able to accomplish his goal without distributing your code at all)
Yes, this is quite possible.
That usually is the rule, yes, however, his intention was to remove the dependancy of plates from warfare, which is why he made the changes in the first place. Since warfare depends on plates, you can't make a mod that depends on warfare to remove the dependancy of plates, because that's already passed by the time it gets to your mod, meaning to do what he's done can only be done by editing the mod.

And although there might not be a liscence in the original post of this topic, there was a post somewhere dedicated to the overall liscence of the bob's mods collection... but it apears to have gotten burried.

The liscence basically states that...
you may:
Distribute the mod package, as it is originally supplied freely.
Include My mod package, or any complete single unit (single mods) within a collection (or modpack).
Use my code as a reference, or guide for your own code.
Use assets (graphics) from within my mod in your own, with explicit permission (Ask me first) and apropriate credit (A note that says it's from my mod, or names the original artist).
Create a mod that depends on, or modifies the content of my own. (Don't like something in my mod? Write a mod that either deletes additional items, or undoes a change I made etc)

you may not:
Redistribute an edited version of my mod publicly (This means you are actually free to edit the mod yourself, and redistribute it to a small private group, IE, for a multiplayer server between friends)
An Exception to the no-edit rule allows you to modify specifically the dependancies line of info.json IF it is required for compatabillity, for redistribution only within a modpack. (This rule was added for some very specific reasons)
Another exception to the no edit rule is config.lua (Which now exists exclusively within config mod.) Again this is usually for modpacks, or private groups, because it's so easy to break someone elses game if they don't know it's edited.
Include my mod as a basis, or large component of your own complete mod. In such cases you should include the original mod as a dependancy, and write a mod that modifies it.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”