[1.1] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

Hearken wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:57 am
I am trying to modify the amount of power generated by the nuclear machines in the power mod. I've managed to set the reactors and exchangers to my desired values, but the turbines seem to be capped at 11.82 MW because the maximum temperature they seem to be able to handle is 1000C:
0.2 KW * 60 * 1 * (1000-15) = 11820 KW.
My desired output from a turbine is 25 MW which is achievable at 2099C:
0.2 KW * 60 * 1 * (2099-15) = 25008 KW
Setting the maximum temperature for both reactors and exchangers to 2099C causes no issues as far as I can tell. The UI tooltip informs me that the maximum temperature of the turbine is 2099C, but the maximum output remains 11.82MW. Is there some way to increase this hidden maximum temperature so that I can get a higher power output?
Part of the reason why my steam temperatures are what I've set them to is because there's an element of hard coding that says you can't go above 1000C.
I think there is a way to increase it, but I can't remember the specifics.

An alternate approach could be to modify the water power per degree stat on water instead of increasing the temperature.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

bobingabout wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:40 am
Part of the reason why my steam temperatures are what I've set them to is because there's an element of hard coding that says you can't go above 1000C.
I think there is a way to increase it, but I can't remember the specifics.

An alternate approach could be to modify the water power per degree stat on water instead of increasing the temperature.
Isn't that just the Steam prototype having a max_temperature set to 1000? Space Exploration has 5000 degree steam for it's anti-matter and energy beam stuff, and it's fine.
Hearken wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:57 am
Is there some way to increase this hidden maximum temperature so that I can get a higher power output?
A quick test with setting the max_temp of heat exchangers, turbines, and steam to 2099 works fine - gives me 25MW output.

Code: Select all

data.raw.fluid.steam.max_temperature = 2099
data.raw.generator["steam-turbine"].maximum_temperature = 2099
data.raw.boiler["heat-exchanger"].target_temperature = 2099

Hearken
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hearken »

Silari wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:54 am

Isn't that just the Steam prototype having a max_temperature set to 1000? Space Exploration has 5000 degree steam for it's anti-matter and energy beam stuff, and it's fine.

A quick test with setting the max_temp of heat exchangers, turbines, and steam to 2099 works fine - gives me 25MW output.

Code: Select all

data.raw.fluid.steam.max_temperature = 2099
data.raw.generator["steam-turbine"].maximum_temperature = 2099
data.raw.boiler["heat-exchanger"].target_temperature = 2099
Thank you, changing the steam max temp fixed for me. Interestingly, before changing the steam max temp I could still produce 2099C steam with the exchangers, but the turbines wouldn't accept it as an input.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Silari wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:54 am
I'm sure it used to be more complicated than that, but if that's all it takes to fix it now, that's not bad.
I also have a Patreon.

spiro9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by spiro9 »

Would it be fine to build "addon mods," as it were, which piggyback off the library and other bob's mods code, without actually containing any of that code within themselves? There's some convenient functions in there that would be nice to work with while I'm starting out, but I don't want to build anything like that without express permission.
Hi hungry, I'm dad!

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

spiro9 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:15 am
Would it be fine to build "addon mods," as it were, which piggyback off the library and other bob's mods code, without actually containing any of that code within themselves? There's some convenient functions in there that would be nice to work with while I'm starting out, but I don't want to build anything like that without express permission.
If you're just using them and calling functions/assets within those rather than incorporating those assets/code into your own mod, you're fine. A number of people have mods that do just this.

spiro9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by spiro9 »

kirazy wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:16 pm
spiro9 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:15 am
If you're just using them and calling functions/assets within those rather than incorporating those assets/code into your own mod, you're fine. A number of people have mods that do just this.
Okay, good. Was thinking I'd like to experiment with the ore generation functions to create new ores and materials and such with relative ease.

The one mod that I'd probably start running into serious issues with is Adjustable Inserters. Another mod, Inserter Configuration, has decent functionality but does not appear to support anything other than 4 directions, and lags out with high ranges. I don't know if it's possible to extend individual functions and add onto their functionality, I sincerely *doubt* that's the case, but in regards to the GUI rendering there's some convenient functions there I'd like to be able to piggy-back off of, the other functionality I can probably figure out how to recreate easy enough. I just don't want to do that without permission.
Hi hungry, I'm dad!

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

If you have specific things you'd like to discuss or questions, discord is probably the easiest. Look for the channel #bobs-mods-feedback on the Omni discord: https://discord.gg/WQYks7W

I'm the one doing dev work on Bob's mods these days. Bob is often on there too.
Dev for Bob's mods, Angel's mods, Helmod, Sea Block, Circuit Processing, Science Cost Tweaker.

Buy me a coffee

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

By "Bob is often there too.", I just show up randomly, with days between messages, and give basic responses like "Yes, that's fine" or an explanation of why something is the way it is, and if I think it should change.
I also have a Patreon.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Is there any way to change initial settings later? I forgot to set speed penalty for productivity modules and would like to add it. After 150 hours I do not begin new save with new settings. I can use commands or hack save files with hex editor or anything if someone tell what to change. Vanilla like -15 % per tier seem OK.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Hannu wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:11 pm
Is there any way to change initial settings later? I forgot to set speed penalty for productivity modules and would like to add it. After 150 hours I do not begin new save with new settings. I can use commands or hack save files with hex editor or anything if someone tell what to change. Vanilla like -15 % per tier seem OK.
yeah, just change them.
MOST settings in bob's mods change the definitions when you load the game, and the only way to change them is from the main menu, which requires a game restart. Simply change the settings to the ones you want to use, restart the game, then load a save. It'll tell you the settings are different, but just continue and load without restarting, and the new settings will apply to your current save.

The ones that are per map, or per player should be able to be changed while in the game anyway (though some a limited to admin only, but if you're on single player, you are the admin)
I also have a Patreon.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

bobingabout wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:28 pm

yeah, just change them.
MOST settings in bob's mods change the definitions when you load the game, and the only way to change them is from the main menu, which requires a game restart. Simply change the settings to the ones you want to use, restart the game, then load a save. It'll tell you the settings are different, but just continue and load without restarting, and the new settings will apply to your current save.

The ones that are per map, or per player should be able to be changed while in the game anyway (though some a limited to admin only, but if you're on single player, you are the admin)
Thank you very much. I did not notice that I can change mod settings in main menu.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Hi!

I played with pure speed/prod modules before, but this time I really used Helmod to map out the chains and it looks like pure productivity and speed modules are a clear upgrade on normal ones, while basically being only negligibly more expensive.

So it looks like it is an either or situation: either you want to only have base modules or there is no need to build base modules ever, just get pure ones, for the same cost and only advantages.

Am I missing something or is this the design?

How do you feel about pure modules?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Zyrconia wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:18 am
Hi!

I played with pure speed/prod modules before, but this time I really used Helmod to map out the chains and it looks like pure productivity and speed modules are a clear upgrade on normal ones, while basically being only negligibly more expensive.

So it looks like it is an either or situation: either you want to only have base modules or there is no need to build base modules ever, just get pure ones, for the same cost and only advantages.

Am I missing something or is this the design?

How do you feel about pure modules?
They are more expensive, because they're basically 2 modules in one. I tend to use them exclusively when I'm able to. (Which is like... everything that isn't being made as an ingredient)
This is one reason why there's an option to turn them off, they're just a little OP.
Then there's God Modules that are more OP, which is why they're turned off by default.
I also have a Patreon.

CaptRonSolo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CaptRonSolo »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was curious about updates to Bob's Power and what the chances were of seeing a 3x3 Substation 5, to better match assemblers/labs?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

CaptRonSolo wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:01 am
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was curious about updates to Bob's Power and what the chances were of seeing a 3x3 Substation 5, to better match assemblers/labs?
Why do you specifically want it to be 3x3? All other substations are 2x2.
I also have a Patreon.

canisdirusleidy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by canisdirusleidy »

Is there an option to disable tech gate for basic boilers/steam plants?

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

canisdirusleidy wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:12 am
No
Dev for Bob's mods, Angel's mods, Helmod, Sea Block, Circuit Processing, Science Cost Tweaker.

Buy me a coffee

canisdirusleidy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by canisdirusleidy »

KiwiHawk wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:14 am
canisdirusleidy wrote:
No
Which, by the way, leads to the following: complete lack of power source for lab if new game started with "Burner electric generator" (Bob's Power) and "Burner power phase" (Bob's Technology) simultaneously disabled in mods settings.

KiwiHawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

canisdirusleidy wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:31 am
KiwiHawk wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:14 am
canisdirusleidy wrote:
No
Which, by the way, leads to the following: complete lack of power source for lab if new game started with "Burner electric generator" (Bob's Power) and "Burner power phase" (Bob's Technology) simultaneously disabled in mods settings.
Good point. I'll change it so Steam Power tech is only enabled if there's an alternative power source available.

Buy me a coffee

Return to “Bob's mods”