[0.18] Please post bugs and balance issues here.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

aberro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.18] Please post bugs and balance issues here.

Post by aberro »

stdlib's Technology:remove_prereq nullifies prerequisites value of Technology if there's no values left in it.
This could possibly break boblibrary's bobmods.lib.tech.replace_prerequisite, as it has no check for nil value. I'm not sure whose bug this is, but I'm reported to both of you.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aberro wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:25 pm
stdlib's Technology:remove_prereq nullifies prerequisites value of Technology if there's no values left in it.
This could possibly break boblibrary's bobmods.lib.tech.replace_prerequisite, as it has no check for nil value. I'm not sure whose bug this is, but I'm reported to both of you.
A bit odd because quite a few other functions in the same file do check for it.
I'll make the change.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I get an error with Bob's Character Classes.
There is a technology with the name
Unknown key: "technology-name.engineer-body"
Is an english locale string missing?

[edit]: Just realized the same is true for
Unknown key: "technology-name.prospector-body"

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

valneq wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:59 pm
I get an error with Bob's Character Classes.
There is a technology with the name
Unknown key: "technology-name.engineer-body"
Is an english locale string missing?

[edit]: Just realized the same is true for
Unknown key: "technology-name.prospector-body"
Yeah, I actually found this one myself. I've fixed it but not released it yet.
I also have a Patreon.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

bobingabout wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:15 am
Great to hear that it's fixed already.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

valneq wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:06 am
bobingabout wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:15 am
Great to hear that it's fixed already.
And thank you for the report. Although it wasn't needed this time, there's probably other things out there that I'm not aware of.
I also have a Patreon.

clampi
Inserter
Inserter

Prototype error for burner-generators

Post by clampi »

Hello Bob,

I found a problem in your prototype definition for "bob-burner-generator"

Found in bobpower 0.18.5
Description: according to wiki definition of BurnerGenerator and EnergySource, I expected the field 'burner' to have defined the type as "burner". Instead it does not have the field defined at all.
That field is mandatory for EnergySource, even for energy sources that are forced to a type by the enclosing prototype, 'burner-generator' in this case.
I also checked definition in other mods (Klonan's KS_Power) and found is correctly defined.
While not game-breaking, it kinda breaks one of my personal libraries that expects conforming definition. It would be nice if you could fix it on your side.
I am not sure if that applies only to "bob-burner-generator", once I encountered the problem I fixed heavy handed for all prototypes I read.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Prototype error for burner-generators

Post by bobingabout »

clampi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:17 pm
Hello Bob,

I found a problem in your prototype definition for "bob-burner-generator"

Found in bobpower 0.18.5
Description: according to wiki definition of BurnerGenerator and EnergySource, I expected the field 'burner' to have defined the type as "burner". Instead it does not have the field defined at all.
That field is mandatory for EnergySource, even for energy sources that are forced to a type by the enclosing prototype, 'burner-generator' in this case.
I also checked definition in other mods (Klonan's KS_Power) and found is correctly defined.
While not game-breaking, it kinda breaks one of my personal libraries that expects conforming definition. It would be nice if you could fix it on your side.
I am not sure if that applies only to "bob-burner-generator", once I encountered the problem I fixed heavy handed for all prototypes I read.
From somebody who's seen the source code... type = "burner" etc is not needed on a burner = tag, as the type tag is only needed to determine what type of energy source it is.
This is because internally, instead of actually having an "energy_source" type (the dynamic one that can be any), they do actually have a burnerEnergySource defined instead, the same that would be applied if you have energy_source {type = "burner"} except it's pre-defined to be that.

Even though it only says energy_source as the tag, and all the base game entities then have type = "electric" in the data code, certain objects like Equipment can only be powered by Electric, and therefore are pre-defined to be that, so if you remove the type="electric" tag, they don't crash.

To further make my point, look at the Locomotive, that doesn't have a type="burner" tag on it's burner= table.
I also have a Patreon.

clampi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by clampi »

As a programmer, I understood why it worked. However, as a user of another code, there is always the conflict: what should be supported, the documented behavior or the real implemented behavior. Either can change without notice.

I come to hate seeing code like the following though :D

Code: Select all

if(software_version == special_undocumented_number) {
	apply_fix()
} else {
	expected_documented_behavior_which_works_at_best_70percent_of_times()
}
Especially when the first test is really a switch for multiple, different, behaviors.

To come back to the reported issue, as said, I know how to work around and understood that the expected-of-type-X should be applied.

Maybe a defect for wiki documentation which is incorrect.

The same applies to fluid boxes, the field 'production_type' does by default has the value of whatever-is-expected from the enclosing prototype, not 'None' as documented.

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

I am running a save from .17 and just updated to .18 and latest bobs mods, but this should apply to any bobs metals... migration from 0.18.7 -> 0.18.8.
Since 0.18.8 the enriched fuel block is researched via the `advanced-oil-processing` tech instead of the `chemical-processing-3` tech, but when loading a pre 0.18.8 game with 0.18.8 factorio doesn't properly recognize this.
This causes the enriched fuel block to be not craftable according to FNEI and the only way to setup new production for the enriched fuel block is by copying over the setup from another machine, you cant select it from the menus.
Is this something I should report to the factorio devs? Or is there something you can do from the mod side of things.

ps
You have line to add `enriched-fuel-from-liquid-fuel` to the advanced oil processing tech in the block for oil processing not advanced oil processing ;)
prototypes/technology-updates.lua:28

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

theMightyMan wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:18 pm
I am running a save from .17 and just updated to .18 and latest bobs mods, but this should apply to any bobs metals... migration from 0.18.7 -> 0.18.8.
Since 0.18.8 the enriched fuel block is researched via the `advanced-oil-processing` tech instead of the `chemical-processing-3` tech, but when loading a pre 0.18.8 game with 0.18.8 factorio doesn't properly recognize this.
This causes the enriched fuel block to be not craftable according to FNEI and the only way to setup new production for the enriched fuel block is by copying over the setup from another machine, you cant select it from the menus.
Is this something I should report to the factorio devs? Or is there something you can do from the mod side of things.

ps
You have line to add `enriched-fuel-from-liquid-fuel` to the advanced oil processing tech in the block for oil processing not advanced oil processing ;)
prototypes/technology-updates.lua:28
do you have bobplates (Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod) installed?
I mean, I presume you do if you have that item, but that mod contains a function that runs "force.reset_technology_effects()" on every force, this SHOULD fix the issue. If it isn't, that's probably a base game issue.

Try running the command manually. open up the console and type:

/c game.player.force.reset_technology_effects()
I also have a Patreon.

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

bobingabout wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:58 pm
do you have bobplates (Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod) installed?
I mean, I presume you do if you have that item, but that mod contains a function that runs "force.reset_technology_effects()" on every force, this SHOULD fix the issue. If it isn't, that's probably a base game issue.

Yes I have Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod installed, I just wrote "bobs metals..." because I didn't want to write it al out and didn't know if bobplates would bring up confusion.
Sadly this doesn't work, since all other things work properly with regards to tech should I report this as a bug for factorio?
I didnt save/reload the save after running

but I assume it is able to hot-reload since it didn't ask me to.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

theMightyMan wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 pm
bobingabout wrote:

Yes I have Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod installed, I just wrote "bobs metals..." because I didn't want to write it al out and didn't know if bobplates would bring up confusion.
Sadly this doesn't work, since all other things work properly with regards to tech should I report this as a bug for factorio?

I'm honestly not sure what's going on, it seems to work fine for me, you're sure you've researched advanced oil processing, right? You don't have bobrevamp installed, which moves it to fuel-blocks research?
I also have a Patreon.

KudoBear
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KudoBear »

Hi Bob, not sure who to take this to, but I've been doing a run with space exploration and everything was going great til I wanted to launch a rocket. With bob's warfare it requires the rocket engine item that requires tungsten, processing of which is locked behind space science which requires you to go to space and being able to launch rockets. I'm getting around it by removing the recipe update from steel to tungsten for rocket engine.

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

bobingabout wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:37 am
theMightyMan wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

I'm honestly not sure what's going on, it seems to work fine for me, you're sure you've researched advanced oil processing, right? You don't have bobrevamp installed, which moves it to fuel-blocks research?

I do have some other mods installed too, I have had issues where reneabling mods that ware not the trigger to not having the issue anymore did trigger the issue. So I listed the original mods that reproduce it, and will list mods where disabling still work.
Here is a list of mods that I have been able to reproduce it with:
[*]angels crawler train 0.1.2
[*]angels petrochem 0.9.8
[*]angels refining 0.11.10
[*]angels smelting 0.6.6
[*]bobs inserters 0.18.3
[*]bob assemblers 0.18.5
[*]bobs electrics 0.18.1
[*]bobs enemies 0.18.5
[*]bobs functions 0.18.9
[*]bobs logistics 0.18.9
[*]bobs logistics belt reskin 0.18.5
[*]bobs plates 0.18.{7/8}
[*]bobs mining 0.18.1
[*]bobs modules 0.18.3
[*]bobs ores 0.18.3
[*]bobs personal equipment 0.18.1
[*]bobs power 0.18.6
[*]bobs revamp 0.18.5
[*]bobs tech 0.18.3
[*]bobs warfare 0.18.6

after that I unloaded the following mods while still being able to reproduce this :
[*]bobs inserters 0.18.3
[*]bob assemblers 0.18.5
[*]bobs electrics 0.18.1
[*]bobs enemies 0.18.5
[*]bobs logistics belt reskin 0.18.5
[*]bobs mining 0.18.1

and then:
[*]bobs logistics 0.18.9

then:
[*]bobs ores 0.18.3

then:
[*]angels crawler train 0.1.2

then:
[*]bobs power 0.18.6

then: <<- recorded
[*]bobs personal equipment 0.18.1

then:
[*]bobs modules 0.18.3

then:
[*]bobs tech 0.18.3

then:
[*]angels smelting 0.6.6

then:
[*]bobs revamp 0.18.5
At the end I was left with:
[*]angels petrochem 0.9.8
[*]angels refining 0.11.10
[*]bobs functions 0.18.9
[*]bobs plates 0.18.{7/8}
At this point removing petrochem "fixed" the issue, as in loading a 0.18.7 save in 0.18.8 didnt make enriched fuel block unsearchable.
So I recommend trying to reproduce with the list above if you want to reproduce the issue.
I tried to comment out some things to see which part of petrochem caused this as even commented out all the lines containing `enriched-fuel` didnt fix the problem.

What is really confusing me tho, is that it now also doesn't work in new worlds, but that should make testing a lot more consistent.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

KudoBear wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:27 am
Hi Bob, not sure who to take this to, but I've been doing a run with space exploration and everything was going great til I wanted to launch a rocket. With bob's warfare it requires the rocket engine item that requires tungsten, processing of which is locked behind space science which requires you to go to space and being able to launch rockets. I'm getting around it by removing the recipe update from steel to tungsten for rocket engine.
Everything sounded normal to me until you mentioned Tungsten Processing being locked behind Space science... in bob's mods, no, you need Tungsten to build parts of the rocket, not just the engine, but also heat shielding are made from Tungsten Carbide.
it Should cost chemical science for tungsten, and production science for tungsten alloys, which includes tungsten carbide (which is technically a ceramic, not an alloy)

In any case, if that's not what it costs, it's another mod changing the unlock to space science, probably space exploration.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

theMightyMan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:41 am
bobingabout wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:37 am
theMightyMan wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

I do have some other mods installed too, I have had issues where reneabling mods that ware not the trigger to not having the issue anymore did trigger the issue. So I listed the original mods that reproduce it, and will list mods where disabling still work.
Here is a list of mods that I have been able to reproduce it with:

At this point removing petrochem "fixed" the issue, as in loading a 0.18.7 save in 0.18.8 didnt make enriched fuel block unsearchable.
So I recommend trying to reproduce with the list above if you want to reproduce the issue.
I tried to comment out some things to see which part of petrochem caused this as even commented out all the lines containing `enriched-fuel` didnt fix the problem.

What is really confusing me tho, is that it now also doesn't work in new worlds, but that should make testing a lot more consistent.
I'm not quoting all that.

Anyway, When you mentioned Angels... It's probably Angels.
As I mentioned earlier, if you have bobrevamp installed, it moves the unlock off of Advanced oil processing onto "Fuel block" technology. (or is it solid fuel)
Either way, Angels mods are quite famous for hiding technologies, I would make a fair bet that since moving the unlock to fuel blocks was a recent change, Angels mods aren't accounting for it.
I also have a Patreon.

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

bobingabout wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:37 am
I'm not quoting all that.

Anyway, When you mentioned Angels... It's probably Angels.
As I mentioned earlier, if you have bobrevamp installed, it moves the unlock off of Advanced oil processing onto "Fuel block" technology. (or is it solid fuel)
Either way, Angels mods are quite famous for hiding technologies, I would make a fair bet that since moving the unlock to fuel blocks was a recent change, Angels mods aren't accounting for it.
Yes sry, I thought it would nicely hide the text behind a button, I will post it on the angels forum.

KudoBear
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KudoBear »

bobingabout wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 am
KudoBear wrote:
Everything sounded normal to me until you mentioned Tungsten Processing being locked behind Space science... in bob's mods, no, you need Tungsten to build parts of the rocket, not just the engine, but also heat shielding are made from Tungsten Carbide.
it Should cost chemical science for tungsten, and production science for tungsten alloys, which includes tungsten carbide (which is technically a ceramic, not an alloy)

In any case, if that's not what it costs, it's another mod changing the unlock to space science, probably space exploration.
Looked at it some more and you're absolutely right, space ex postprocess locks tungsten behind space science to make it more engamey and tries to remove it from initial rocket req, but missed the rocket engine cost. I'll take it up with Earandel. Thanks!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

KudoBear wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:15 pm
bobingabout wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 am
KudoBear wrote:

Looked at it some more and you're absolutely right, space ex postprocess locks tungsten behind space science to make it more engamey and tries to remove it from initial rocket req, but missed the rocket engine cost. I'll take it up with Earandel. Thanks!
The change to use tungsten in the engine unit is something that I did recently... but, it's something I'd done a long time ago and commented out for some reason. All I did was un-comment that line.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”