[0.18.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by SHiRKiT »

shuzen wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am
Bob, just wanted to thank you for the mods and your continued support! Had lots of fun with them already, your work really brings Factorio to another level!
Bob is the best

belmenel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by belmenel »

Have to agree with what others said, they're pretty great. I rarely play without them, and even my 'vanilla' playhroughs end up with the adjustable inserter mod, but IMHO that mod should be part of the base game~
Personally, the only thing that bugs me in the mod set currently is the modules. I always turn off god modules and tone them down a bit, but at that point 8 tiers feels like too much. I'd love to see a 'lite' alternative for one module tier per circuitboard tier instead of two, since disabling the module mod makes modules disappointingly simplistic, but in the current version modules are either stronger than I'd like, or just not worth the time and effort 8 tiers takes.

WizardNekross
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by WizardNekross »

Hey and Thank you for all your work with updating such a brilliant thing!

But, i have a big question. How I can turn back chemical plants smoke with all that colorful and detailed fractions??? That's a question...

So, why i am asking about it here?

BecauZe i found some chemical plant improvments in Bob_assembly_machines [but it is all my thoughts]...

Now, in the production of any substance with chemical plant, smoke of the same color comes out of the pipes. It looks worse than in the original version of the game.

Please, help me to understand what s wrong here...
Angel&Bob mods used:
factorio_chemical_smoke_fail#1.gif
factorio_chemical_smoke_fail#1.gif (3.81 MiB) Viewed 5575 times
Original game used:
factorio_0.18.4_vaniLLa_smoke_2.gif
factorio_0.18.4_vaniLLa_smoke_2.gif (3.51 MiB) Viewed 5575 times
Thank you! And have a good day!
I am on the outside, im looking in...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

WizardNekross wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:24 pm
Hey and Thank you for all your work with updating such a brilliant thing!

But, i have a big question. How I can turn back chemical plants smoke with all that colorful and detailed fractions??? That's a question...

So, why i am asking about it here?

BecauZe i found some chemical plant improvments in Bob_assembly_machines [but it is all my thoughts]...

Now, in the production of any substance with chemical plant, smoke of the same color comes out of the pipes. It looks worse than in the original version of the game.

Please, help me to understand what s wrong here...
Angel&Bob mods used:
factorio_chemical_smoke_fail#1.gif
Original game used:
factorio_0.18.4_vaniLLa_smoke_2.gif

Thank you! And have a good day!
the long story short version with bobs mods... I haven't updated the code/graphics in my mod to the new version introduced mid-0.17, so it's still using code from older versions of the game.
It's on my to do list.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

I'm actually 99.99% sure this is something Angel's is doing. Because I've spent the last couple days reskinning Bob's chemical plants without Angels, and the colors work just fine, but as a response to this question I turned Angel's back on and they're all just standard flame colors.

Edit: I investigated. Specifically, in the recipe definitions, Angels does not define crafting_machine_tint, whereas Bobs does. Since Angels eliminates all of Bobs fluids to make its own, naturally there are no tints for the working_visualization to apply.

As an aside, Bob, what did you kitbash to make this:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kirazy wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:26 pm
As an aside, Bob, what did you kitbash to make this:
The heatpipe parts come from the reactor, it actually has a different layer for heat pipe connections, so I edited it down to be 2x2(heatpipes) instead of 3x3.
Then I just sat the old (Go back to something like, 0.12) steel furnace on top. It's still in layers, I didn't graphically edit the furnace.

My burner generator also uses the old steel furnace, in combination with the old steam engine. I could have made it animate, but didn't want to spend all that much time on it.
I also have a Patreon.

WizardNekross
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by WizardNekross »

Its not so hard to turn back 18.0 animations of chemical plant aaaaaaand here is my results for angels petrochem...

>>poof<<
I am on the outside, im looking in...

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

Bob - Do you have plans to update your ore graphics with the new "randomized" ore icons that the base game gave to Iron/Copper/Stone/etc.? Looks like most of your ores still have the old "flat" icons.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

evandy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:39 pm
Bob - Do you have plans to update your ore graphics with the new "randomized" ore icons that the base game gave to Iron/Copper/Stone/etc.? Looks like most of your ores still have the old "flat" icons.
no current plans to do anything additional, I already did the random pictures for when the item is on the floor/belt.
I also have a Patreon.

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

bobingabout wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:06 pm
evandy wrote:
no current plans to do anything additional, I already did the random pictures for when the item is on the floor/belt.
I’ll have to go look again, could have sworn that nickel, tin, tungsten, manganese, silver, gold, etc. did not have the updates yet. I am running with angel though, does he replace your ore icons?

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

evandy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:33 pm
bobingabout wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:06 pm
evandy wrote:
I’ll have to go look again, could have sworn that nickel, tin, tungsten, manganese, silver, gold, etc. did not have the updates yet. I am running with angel though, does he replace your ore icons?
Pretty sure Angel's removes them all and makes its own amalgamations of them.

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

Bob,

Both uranium and thorium make a second tier fissile fuel (plutonium). Should Deuterium fuel cell reprocessing be making a second tier fusable material? You could use the old red icons you replaced with cerenkov blue...

But then I’m just a masochist who enjoys more complicated processes these days. Curious on your thoughts here.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

evandy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:19 pm
Bob,

Both uranium and thorium make a second tier fissile fuel (plutonium). Should Deuterium fuel cell reprocessing be making a second tier fusable material? You could use the old red icons you replaced with cerenkov blue...

But then I’m just a masochist who enjoys more complicated processes these days. Curious on your thoughts here.
if you look at the different fuel cells and how much energy they produce, you can call the Uranium and Thorium fuel cells that don't use Plutonium Tier 1 fuel, and those that do use Plutonium a Tier 2 fuel.
Then when you look at the fuel value of the Deuterium fuel cell, you'll notice it matches the energy progression of Tier 2 fuels from the other types. This is why there's no advanced Deuterium fuel cells.

Assuming you're using the new nuclear recipe overhaul anyway, if you're using the older version, there's no fusion catalyst, but the same kind of rules apply, Plutonium fuel cells give a lot more power over Uranium or Thorium, but Deuterium gives even more power than Plutonium.
I also have a Patreon.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

bobingabout wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:48 pm
evandy wrote:
Bob,

if you look at the different fuel cells and how much energy they produce, you can call the Uranium and Thorium fuel cells that don't use Plutonium Tier 1 fuel, and those that do use Plutonium a Tier 2 fuel.
Then when you look at the fuel value of the Deuterium fuel cell, you'll notice it matches the energy progression of Tier 2 fuels from the other types. This is why there's no advanced Deuterium fuel cells.

Assuming you're using the new nuclear recipe overhaul anyway, if you're using the older version, there's no fusion catalyst, but the same kind of rules apply, Plutonium fuel cells give a lot more power over Uranium or Thorium, but Deuterium gives even more power than Plutonium.
have you tested these fuel cells in the latest builds without bobrevamp adding the tiered reactors? have you also tried with them? we can't get the advanced fuels to work the way they should, at all - they fail to bring reactor up to required temperature, and burn too quickly.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:26 pm
bobingabout wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:48 pm
evandy wrote:
Bob,

have you tested these fuel cells in the latest builds without bobrevamp adding the tiered reactors? have you also tried with them? we can't get the advanced fuels to work the way they should, at all - they fail to bring reactor up to required temperature, and burn too quickly.
I haven't done any additional testing in 0.18, but did extensive testing in 0.17.
The MK2 and MK3 heat pipes do take longer to get hotter, and with higher tier Heat Exchangers it may take a little time for them to get up to a temperature able to do something.
Note that heat sources (item and fluid powered) MK1 can't get hot enough to power heat exchanger MK3, other than that, due to the fact that heat isn't Lost, everything else is a valid combination.

HOWEVER, some other mods designed to make the nuclear process more realistic break mine, be careful when using other mods with bobs mods, because some "Realistic nuclear" mods do not take my power systems into full consideration.
I also have a Patreon.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

Do you have any plans for your 11 pipe types?

Currently the differences I see are:
- Minor differences in health
- Some difference in underground pipe distance

I know originally they had different uses/throughputs, but the fluid rework killed those.

They seemed grouped into these 5 tiers, and tiers share health and underground distance. So several redundant entries atm.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kirazy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:35 am
Do you have any plans for your 11 pipe types?

Currently the differences I see are:
- Minor differences in health
- Some difference in underground pipe distance

I know originally they had different uses/throughputs, but the fluid rework killed those.

They seemed grouped into these 5 tiers, and tiers share health and underground distance. So several redundant entries atm.
as I've mentioned previously, the main reason why there's so many is because they were originally designed to be used as ingredients. The reason why it originally came out as 3 tiers of 3 different types, then a single 4th tier was because of the attempt at 3 different capacities, and therefore 3 different flow speeds, which never really worked correctly.
I eventually decided to remove the different capacities, and reworked the pipes into 5 tiers, but tungsten was still the top tier, despite being on par tech level wise with titanium, so in 0.17 I reworked the tiers slightly to move tungsten to T4, and added nitinol and copper tungsten alloy as T5... which also solved the 5 material tiers issue, allowing me to adjust recipes.

If anyone has an idea on how at least 2 different types of pipe would work, then I may go with it, but I currently have no plans to make any differences between the types.

Also, I may be missing a T3 pipe, from the ingredient perspective, perhaps invar or aluminium. Plastic may be good for chemical plants and electrlysers, but you wouldn't really want to use it, or even brass for that matter because of it's fairly low melting point, on a furnace.
I also have a Patreon.

jnzsblzs
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jnzsblzs »

If you think it's possible it might be a worthwhile idea to create a corrosion mechanic of some sort. Like if you put the wrong fluid into the wrong pipe it erodes that pipe and which eventually self-destructs. Not sure if it's workable but it's the main reason why people use different kind of piping in different places. (there are others but none of them is all that relevant to the game)
But I'm just spitballing.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

jnzsblzs wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:41 pm
If you think it's possible it might be a worthwhile idea to create a corrosion mechanic of some sort. Like if you put the wrong fluid into the wrong pipe it erodes that pipe and which eventually self-destructs. Not sure if it's workable but it's the main reason why people use different kind of piping in different places. (there are others but none of them is all that relevant to the game)
it's possible, but using one of those monitoring scripts that I dislike.

In other words, you have to record every time someone builds a pipe (because you can't just do a scan for all pipes... well, you can, but it locks up the game) and periodically, check all the pipes on the list, and apply damage if a certain type has a wrong fluid in it (EG, Ferric Chloride would dissolve Iron and Copper, and probably other metals, meaning you need to use Plastic, Stone or Ceramic)
I also have a Patreon.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

bobingabout wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:36 pm
jnzsblzs wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:41 pm
it's possible, but using one of those monitoring scripts that I dislike.

In other words, you have to record every time someone builds a pipe (because you can't just do a scan for all pipes... well, you can, but it locks up the game) and periodically, check all the pipes on the list, and apply damage if a certain type has a wrong fluid in it (EG, Ferric Chloride would dissolve Iron and Copper, and probably other metals, meaning you need to use Plastic, Stone or Ceramic)
Would it be easier to disallow certain fluid-pipe combinations? Or immediately destroy the pipe when a "wrong" fluid enters it?
I did a seablock pack run and ended up using only stone pipes until it found the extended length or Cu-W undergrounds usefull for certain niche applications.
Reasons: a) I don't want a million different pipes in my inventory. b) Sea block needs pilles of pipes, and stone pipes are easy to get (and automate) from the start.

Return to “Bob's mods”