Builds with Bob's

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Builds with Bob's

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

So I don't find much info or talk about builds and systems using Bob's modules. Which is a shame, because it really complicates things! (In a good way, love your mods Bob!)

I am not too great at building the most optimized and efficient builds (I just can't put my heart into calculating item flows), but I'm putting some work this evening into making some nice builds. Here is the first result!

A laboratory setup going up to blue science (with room to run purple in there). I do not have the battery or advanced electric circuit production set up yet, but those can be run in through a different setup, and brought in from the top. Basic inputs (stone, wood, copper, iron) are brought in from the bottom left.
Mods affecting the build: Bob's, DyTech Core, slipstream chests, foreman
Picture of setup
Updated setup
Foreman String
Last edited by AlyxDeLunar on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sometimes humorous, usually congenial. Always Alyx.

My Stuff:
Lunar's Factorio Mod Manager

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Builds with Bob's

Post by Degraine »

At a guess, building everything you need to produce electronic circuit boards will roughly double the size of that factory. It's a pretty big step up from basic circuit boards. Speaking of basic circuit boards, good arrangement there. Do you find that the single wooden board assembler can keep up without the need for a buffer, though?

I like what you did with the SS chests, too! Especially the iron plates chest that the long-arm inserter is pulling out of to make steel, that's a clever setup. No need for the extra belt there though, since belts don't integrate with the chests. You could also get rid of one of those wooden chests down the bottom and put the SS chest in its place.

I really need to make some custom graphics for the next version of SSC

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I was going to get some screenshots and things together myself, because it was requested in the other topic about tutorials etc.

You confused me for a moment with those slipstream chests x3 But, Yes, one wooden board factory can provide for more than 1 circuit board production. They produce 2 at the same rate that circuits produce one.

And the wires, good solution, you need 3 per board, and they produce 2 per cycle.

Though, you forgot to mention you're also using DyTech, I see stone gears there.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

Oh, DyTech! Wow, how did I forget that one?

Yeah, I was able to do optimization for the most basic components pretty easy.
1 raw wood -> 2 wood -> 4 boards
And since one circuit board only eats up 1 at a time, it keeps it full pretty easily.

Some things were relics from editing, that extra belt after the iron SS chest was there because I originally didn't have an SS chest there, but then I wanted that juicy inserter bonus into the steel production (and SS chest help to make things look nicer).

Oh Degraine, good idea with the SS chests. For a second I was wondering what you might have been talking about...then I realized I can do away with those wooden chests and still keep my chests there for inserter bonus! Now I'm thinking with SS chests :)

And yeah, adding those advanced circuits is going to be a process, and probably needs its own factory, at least in my mind. I've got up to them 4 times now in separate factories and it still feels like a mysterious and scary process. I love it! Seriously though, if anybody had pictures of their setups they would like to share, I would most appreciate it.
updated factory

My Stuff:

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

When I get back to my desktop I'll post a picture of the research factory I've got going at the moment, which works, but I'm not terribly happy with. The tao of good factory design really eludes me.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =51&t=6609
Somewghere in there is a good one.
I also have a Patreon.

AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

Thanks for the link Bob!
I took a look at Boogieman's setup, which was quite helpful. My build style is a bit different though, so I made my own setup!
I definitely don't have the most efficient style, but I like to build independent setups with a specific product in mind, and filter in the requisite materials as raw as is convenient.

This is my newly designed advanced circuit production, I am quite proud of it! :)
The raw materials from left to right: raw wood, silver or lead (depending on which you have/want to use), tin ore, copper plate, iron plate, water, stone ore, petroleum and quartz.
Picture of setup
Foreman string

My Stuff:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Looking good.
I'll admit though that when I did it I cheated and used logistic robots. and on the game I'm doing without the logistic robots, I havn't fully automated it yet.

Though keep in mind that the latest version of BobPlates (MCI) adds an extra step, where you have to make the solder alloy first in a mixing furnace before you make the solder out of it.
I also have a Patreon.

AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

There is a new version? Ah, how did I miss that! Sweet, I love updates :)
Back to the drawing board, at least I have extra space, so I should be able to squeeze it in. I realized I forgot to filter out sodium hydroxide anyway from the water electrolysis. I hate that stuff. Besides aluminum production, I haven't found a use for it, and I don't know how to handle unused materials besides putting as much storage chests to grab it as possible. What do you recommend doing with it?

My Stuff:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

pretty much that, I'm thinking I shoud reduce the output of it even more. It's already down to half of the original recipe. in my game I have logistic robots carry it away automatically, I have several chests full of the stuff.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

There are a couple of other uses you could put it to as product sinks. Combining it with water to convert coal into carbon, for instance, or with some wood product to manufacture biodiesel, perhaps.

AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

I kind of like the idea of that.
I love tree farm, and I've done and edit with some of the recipes to use sodium hydroxide. I have two intermediates for fertiziler (potassium and that other one, I don't remember their names off the top of my head haha) using it. I'll see how much that helps use up the excess. I'm not sure exactly how realistic it is, but a cursury scan through Wikipedia told me it wasn't too crazy of an idea.

My Stuff:

AnodeCathode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AnodeCathode »

Thought I'd chime in and add a picture of my latest factory. Just finished producing the electronic circuit boards and now I'm going to war for gold. I posted a lot of details about the setup on a reddit thread here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/commen ... many_many/

Here is a shot of the map (too large to embed properly):
http://i.imgur.com/bzqIXJ2.png

I also put together a screenshot of the current island factory. It's fairly compressed but still a pretty large image. So I'll just link it. It's still got enough resolution to see the details:

http://i.imgur.com/Mefvzw1.jpg

Having so much fun with this mod set. Having to use a notebook to figure out production chains makes me very happy.

In any case, thanks bobingabout for such a great mod.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Nice arrangement there. I'll have to try that out. Plus the RSO config someone cooked up for Bob's mods. I'm really looking forward to that.

AnodeCathode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AnodeCathode »

Actually that was me that cooked up that config. I'm not really satisfied with it and find that bobsores does a good job of doing a similar type of layout. I may continue to play with it and see if I can improve it.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

The issue I've always had with bobores is the inappropriately massive deposits of gold and tin. And little bits of galena or quartz scattered around the place...maybe it's just a function of having so many ores in the first place, but it feels like deposit placement is pretty messy.

Thinking about it, what I would really like is proportionally larger deposits spread out a bit further. Which is supposed to be RSO's forte, so.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

if you notice, Galena is just tiny patchs at spawn, but larger ones out in the world, same with Quartz. it was supposed to be small patchs in the start area and larger more spread out ones when you leave it, but it doesn't always work properly, depending on settings.
I also have a Patreon.

Master_Chief
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Master_Chief »

AlyxDeLunar wrote:Thanks for the link Bob!
I took a look at Boogieman's setup, which was quite helpful. My build style is a bit different though, so I made my own setup!
I definitely don't have the most efficient style, but I like to build independent setups with a specific product in mind, and filter in the requisite materials as raw as is convenient.

This is my newly designed advanced circuit production, I am quite proud of it! :)
The raw materials from left to right: raw wood, silver or lead (depending on which you have/want to use), tin ore, copper plate, iron plate, water, stone ore, petroleum and quartz.
Picture of setup
Foreman string
I tried to load this and get the error "__Foreman__/control.lua:727:Unknown entity name: slipstream-chest-east" any ideas?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Master_Chief wrote:"__Foreman__/control.lua:727:Unknown entity name: slipstream-chest-east"
My idea is that it's not my mod, It's "Foreman" mod. A mod I'm not familier with, so I can't help, sorry.

Perhaps you should check to see if a slipstream chest exists? I'm guessing you might need another mod that contains said chest.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

That's from my mod. You'll need version 1.0.2, which I've re-added to the OP of the thread.

1.1.1 removed directional chests, but unfortunately it doesn't play nicely with blueprints or Foreman. One of the limitations of the system I'm using now.

Return to “Bob's mods”