Any plans to bring back wooden boards?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

jgb
Inserter
Inserter

Any plans to bring back wooden boards?

Post by jgb »

I already asked this on Angel's forum, but they directed me here.

So in my most recent BA run, I noticed that the removal of wooden boards was a huge nerf to the difficulty of this mod combo. I know this doesn't necessarily affect the complexity of plain Bob's that much, since you get raw wood from greenhouses anyway, but for BA you get access to T2 circuits much much faster than you did prior to the removal of wooden boards. Are there any plans to add wooden boards back into the production chain? Or at least a setting to disable machine crafting of wood -> resin?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Any plans to bring back wooden boards?

Post by bobingabout »

jgb wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:19 am
I already asked this on Angel's forum, but they directed me here.

So in my most recent BA run, I noticed that the removal of wooden boards was a huge nerf to the difficulty of this mod combo. I know this doesn't necessarily affect the complexity of plain Bob's that much, since you get raw wood from greenhouses anyway, but for BA you get access to T2 circuits much much faster than you did prior to the removal of wooden boards. Are there any plans to add wooden boards back into the production chain? Or at least a setting to disable machine crafting of wood -> resin?
There already is a wooden board, it's used to make Electronics board.
are you refering to "Wood", the item that used to look like a wooden board, when "Raw wood" was still a thing?

there are no current plans to change that, and raw wood -> resin, which comes from greenhouses would still be a thing.

I mean, I'm looking at it from a bob's mods perspective, I've not actually played an angels game myself, the biggest WTF would be that you can make synthetic wood from heavy oil, then turn that into resin, but you can make resin from heavy oil anyway.

The question would be... if you turn off wood -> resin recipe, how are you supposed to make resin, required to make solder, required to make electronics, required to make the higher tier machines able to craft it from oil?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

jgb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgb »

> The question would be... if you turn off wood -> resin recipe, how are you supposed to make resin, required to make solder, required to make electronics, required to make the higher tier machines able to craft it from oil?

Just the assembler recipe, not by hand.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

jgb wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:09 pm
> The question would be... if you turn off wood -> resin recipe, how are you supposed to make resin, required to make solder, required to make electronics, required to make the higher tier machines able to craft it from oil?

Just the assembler recipe, not by hand.
Ah, I don't know how it works with other mods, but, in bob's mods, EVERYTHING you can craft by hand can also be craft by machine, it's just that not everything you can craft by machine can be craft by hand.
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

jgb wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:19 am
So in my most recent BA run, I noticed that the removal of wooden boards was a huge nerf to the difficulty of this mod combo.
Partially, but it isn't exactly difficult to create considerable amounts of liquid resin using the formaldehyde based recipes early on.

Naphta is also the essential liquid for plastic creation, so unless you're swimming in oil then it's going to be difficult to justify its use for resin over plastic, especially if greenhouses of any kind are used with the low upkeep formaldehyde setup.

There's no doubt that naphta can provide a big boost to resin creation, but it's not something you're going to want to stick with for very long when it's much more valuable elsewhere.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

To be honest, since you're talking about a change to a Bob + Angels only use case, I'd suggest you ask Angel to change the recipe to hand craft only... Everything else that changes from a Bob game to a Bob + Angels game is done by Angel.

Especially if he already has items that are hand craft only (Bob's mods does not) it should be quite trivial to change the crafting category of a recipe.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”