Localization related question

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

sraw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Localization related question

Post by sraw »

For unknown reasons, Karosieben/boblocale doesn't update recently, I mean, for 4 months.

So I am planning to create a locale project for myself(may also publish for others).

Here I have two questions I want to confirm: (forgive me if they are too naive)

1. I am not a modder, but based on my knowledge, the file names of .cfg files are not relevant correct? The only critical things are the id strings such as "bob-player-miner"? And they are globally unique?
2. I'd like to automate the progress as possible as I can, so I can make it update to date. Such as automatically downloading the original locale files and extracting corresponding id strings, then generating the templates. So I want to confirm that the only way to get the source code is downloading zip files from mod portal? Is it possible to get the source code more conveniently such as from version control system?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Localization related question

Post by bobingabout »

sraw wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:51 am
1. I am not a modder, but based on my knowledge, the file names of .cfg files are not relevant correct? The only critical things are the id strings such as "bob-player-miner"? And they are globally unique?
The extension has to be .cfg, but the names of the files themselves can be anything.
though also keep in mind that the file FORMAT can be pretty picky. I believe most use UTF8 without BOM, though there are others that work. For english only letters, I often use DOS437. (which should be familiar to anyone using Windows 98 or older operating systems, as if you were installing it outside of the US, EG, in Europe, you had to set the locale, and 437 was a mostly compatible code for UK and Europe.)
sraw wrote:
2. I'd like to automate the progress as possible as I can, so I can make it update to date. Such as automatically downloading the original locale files and extracting corresponding id strings, then generating the templates. So I want to confirm that the only way to get the source code is downloading zip files from mod portal? Is it possible to get the source code more conveniently such as from version control system?
I don't use a VCS or anything like that, my mods exist in 2 places. Dropbox and the factorio Mod portal.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

sraw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Localization related question

Post by sraw »

bobingabout wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 am
sraw wrote:
The extension has to be .cfg, but the names of the files themselves can be anything.
though also keep in mind that the file FORMAT can be pretty picky. I believe most use UTF8 without BOM, though there are others that work. For english only letters, I often use DOS437. (which should be familiar to anyone using Windows 98 or older operating systems, as if you were installing it outside of the US, EG, in Europe, you had to set the locale, and 437 was a mostly compatible code for UK and Europe.)
sraw wrote:
I don't use a VCS or anything like that, my mods exist in 2 places. Dropbox and the factorio Mod portal.
Cool, thanks for your details! It's not a big deal to crawl the Mod portal I believe.

Return to “Bob's mods”