Is a pure modular logistics system viable?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

hobbitmax999
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Is a pure modular logistics system viable?

Post by hobbitmax999 »

bobingabout wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:17 am
mrvn wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 am
1) Why do robochest have a charging port at all?
see point 1.
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:14 am
The problem with charging at the robochest is if they make it to the robochest and their charge level is below the minimum dock level, they WILL charge at the robochest.
Before a recent update, if there was no chargepad on the robochest, the robot would come up to dock with it, then join the charge queue, waiting to charge at a non-existant charging pad.
Since a recent update, if you define a roboport with storage, but no chargepad, the game errors and won't load. it's not allowed.

mrvn wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 am
2) There should be some game logic for bots to pick another near charging port if the queue is longer than the distance to the charging port. When a bot needs to charge it doesn't pick the closest but it adds some variance. So if you have 2x2 charging pads they will all be used to some extend. Is that logic failing for chests because the bots will already be so close to the chests port that picking any other would be too far away?
I just use the base game logic, so, whatever that tells the robots to do, is what they do. the thing about robots in the base game is, to keep them as optimised as possible (use least CPU power) they're pretty dumb.
I have a Idea.. Make the robot chests recharge VERY slowly or just need a recharge port to craft and are equal to one recharge port..

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

hobbitmax999 wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:18 pm

I have a Idea.. Make the robot chests recharge VERY slowly or just need a recharge port to craft and are equal to one recharge port..
You can't not have a charging port. Making the charging rate even slower would actually make the situation worse, a faster one would be better.
To the game, a Roboport is a Roboport, it doesn't matter how many charging ports it actually has, the game EXPECTS that they all have the same charging capacity, the issue with robochests being a bottleneck is because they only have one.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

hobbitmax999
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hobbitmax999 »

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:02 pm

You can't not have a charging port. Making the charging rate even slower would actually make the situation worse, a faster one would be better.
To the game, a Roboport is a Roboport, it doesn't matter how many charging ports it actually has, the game EXPECTS that they all have the same charging capacity, the issue with roboports being a bottleneck is because they only have one.
then i guess just make them need the charge port so pure modular logistics system isn't stopped by the chests not charging

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:06 pm

To the game, a Roboport is a Roboport, it doesn't matter how many charging ports it actually has, the game EXPECTS that they all have the same charging capacity, the issue with roboports being a bottleneck is because they only have one.
then i guess just make them need the charge port so pure modular logistics system isn't stopped by the chests not charging
You don't have access to change robot behaviour like that. And like I said, if you give a roboport some robot storage without a charging port (in this case, a robochest without a port) the game throws an error on launch.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

It would be nice if they changed the logic so that first the bot looks to charge, then it looks to dock (charging if below 99%). Then you could surround the box with chargers (which you should do anyway) and the wait for the bots to land would be short, since they wouldn't need to do any charging (or just a tiny amount). That wouldn't break the existing vanilla behavior, or actually improve it since this same problem can happen in vanilla (just less likely with more ports).

hobbitmax999
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hobbitmax999 »

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:54 pm
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:06 pm

You don't have access to change robot behaviour like that. And like I said, if you give a roboport some robot storage without a charging port (in this case, a robochest without a port) the game throws an error on launch.
I mean make them require the charger
And are equal to the charger.. so when the robots
Try to charge they Can

Return to β€œBob's mods”