Wood Farming?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

skellious
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Wood Farming?

Post by skellious »

HI,

I am having a lot of fun with Bob's Mods but I can't seem to find a way to farm wood and basic inserters require it, meaning I cannot set-up fully automatic green science pack production? am I missing something or is this functionality not in the mod? if not I will most likely just make a factory recipe to make wood (using power, water and probably something else?) since I really do not want to deforest my whole world manually.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Wood Farming?

Post by bobingabout »

I understand what you're saying, and I have considered something along those lines, but at the same time I want to keep it realistic.

I've also considered growing trees, but it would most likely feel like a clone of tree farm mod. I like to think of it as Tree farm Lite.

I suggest you use tree farm.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Maybe collab on agreement that you will use different version of treefarming? Maybe not being able to make coal out of wood for free plastics.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

If I did tree farm lite as a bob's mod, or part of a bob's mod, it would literally be nothing more than the tree farm, seeds, and growing trees.

I could possibly also ask the author to make a lite version of tree farm, that way he remains in control of it, yet it provides exactly what we're looking for, A way to have infinite automatic wood production.
I also have a Patreon.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I think it's just better to use Treefarm instead of making another content creator to create a new mod just to fit our needs?

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

I'm getting quite fond of having Treefarm actually. The biomass -> nutrients -> medkit chain is pretty neat! Though I feel like the 'plant' recipe (biomass to produce more biomass) should include some kind of woodpulp ingredient.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

SHiRKiT wrote:I think it's just better to use Treefarm instead of making another content creator to create a new mod just to fit our needs?
This is pretty much the reason why I havn't made one myself already.
I also have a Patreon.

skellious
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by skellious »

Thanks for the replies, all. I just don't particularly like everything else that comes attached to treefarm. I suppose I could equally just edit the mod so it doesn't need wood. I know construction robots can deforest wood pretty well. perhaps I'll just mod something so you get saplings and can replant them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

skellious wrote:Thanks for the replies, all. I just don't particularly like everything else that comes attached to treefarm. I suppose I could equally just edit the mod so it doesn't need wood. I know construction robots can deforest wood pretty well. perhaps I'll just mod something so you get saplings and can replant them.
Have you tried treefarm-lite? he seperated all the extra from tree farm, so tree farm light is nothing more than the regrowable trees, and the tree farm buildings, the extra stuff is in treefarm-AC.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Treefarm is bullshit. When you play scalar and set it to really high levels. You need to mass produce wood like crazy. Problem is that whole complex factory that mine stuff process all the chemicals have 100s of assembly machines use less processing than those stupid tree farms. So treefarm part uses so much CPU time as gigantic factory! Solution? Friend came up with fake treefarm that just looks like treefarm but it take 1 germling and after 60 seconds it produce 5 wood, like assembly machine. Treefarms make around 5 wood every 5 seconds or so. When we swapped treefarms for fake treefarms, we had lower wood production but game update went from 15ms down to 7ms. So yeah 16.6ms is limit to get 60UPS (game starts lagging if you take longer than 16.6ms).

If you play factorio on default settings, i guess it's not that big of a problem, but 50-100 treefarms will kill your FPS and after that UPS. So yeah they are FPS and UPS killers.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

cpy wrote:Treefarm is bullshit. When you play scalar and set it to really high levels. You need to mass produce wood like crazy. Problem is that whole complex factory that mine stuff process all the chemicals have 100s of assembly machines use less processing than those stupid tree farms. So treefarm part uses so much CPU time as gigantic factory! Solution? Friend came up with fake treefarm that just looks like treefarm but it take 1 germling and after 60 seconds it produce 5 wood, like assembly machine. Treefarms make around 5 wood every 5 seconds or so. When we swapped treefarms for fake treefarms, we had lower wood production but game update went from 15ms down to 7ms. So yeah 16.6ms is limit to get 60UPS (game starts lagging if you take longer than 16.6ms).

If you play factorio on default settings, i guess it's not that big of a problem, but 50-100 treefarms will kill your FPS and after that UPS. So yeah they are FPS and UPS killers.
Well, don't need to call it bullshit. It's pretty standard that mods, when scaled up in usage, will take more resources than regular vanilla machines. I have a plan to make all my oil out of wood right now, I don't know if it's going to work or not though. Let's see if it'll work or not. It may not, since I imagine I'd need lots and lots of maximum size treefarms.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, I think one of the things my friend did with tree farm is edit all the time dependant stuff in it. so instead of doing a check every... actually, I don't know how often it checks, but he made it check at an intaval 10x longer than default, and bumped all the time stuff, and probabilities so that things happened at around the same rate, but the result was that it used far less CPU power.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

We just hardcoded time 5 wood every 30 seconds. Works like furnace, 0 scripts, 0 lags but you can't plant trees.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

You could make an 'assembler' with a tree graphic instead of a machine, have a recipe of 1 germling to 5 wood at however much timeframe you deem reasonable.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

That's not really how tree farm works, you eat 40 saplings and spit out 200 wood with long craft creates spikes in supply like treefarm but without the lag.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

cpy wrote:That's not really how tree farm works, you eat 40 saplings and spit out 200 wood with long craft creates spikes in supply like treefarm but without the lag.
True but this also requires no scripts, say a tree-graphic assembler that can only process 1 germling to 5 wood over 60 seconds, you could make your own 'forest' of them with inserters to pull them out. Or could do it like a miner where it just spits out one wood every 20 seconds or so, but would need to make one unique per type of tree so not quite as easily extendable then... There are many styles that can be done without requiring scripts regardless.

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bbgun06 »

Or if you don't want to use trees, make synthetic wood and resin from heavy oil. If you are running low on oil, use coal cracking to heavy oil, most maps have more coal than oil.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Coal Cracking can't hold you over. It's to slow for the demands. I'Ve 10 coal cracker right next to the trainstaition ... Train->Buffer->Chemplant it can't keep up with the demands if my Oil runs dry. it helps to a point to keep things going but its no Oil replacement. And honestly thats good how it is.

Return to “Bob's mods”