[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What should go where?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Add everything to the logistics mod
40%
Everything inserter related in the new inserters mod
30%
Only the new adjustment functionallity in the inserters mod
30%

Total votes: 30

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by bobingabout »

I had thought about it, but, if you want it for the base game pipes, you could just use that mod. and if you want it for all my pipes, well... that's a lot of pipes! (and a lot of work to program in.)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I actually removed all of the straight pipes (and express_pump) from that mod
I actually prefer flow-controls one-way-valve over bobs(it can be connected to circuit network. sorrybob!), and bob hasn't added in a check-valve yet.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nexela wrote:I actually removed all of the straight pipes (and express_pump) from that mod
I actually prefer flow-controls one-way-valve over bobs(it can be connected to circuit network. sorrybob!), and bob hasn't added in a check-valve yet.
Yeah, I did look at how he did that when I was programming in my valve. He used the Storage Tank entity for the one way valve, and I made serious consideration to doing the same, but eventually decided not to mostly due to the huge item (or in this case fluid) overlay in detailed view if you used the storage tank. This bug however has since been fixed. I can't just change the type now though, it breaks save games if you do that. (Though might work if I name it something else, then write a migration json)
I also have a Patreon.

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doxsroxs »

bobingabout wrote:I had thought about it, but, if you want it for the base game pipes, you could just use that mod. and if you want it for all my pipes, well... that's a lot of pipes! (and a lot of work to program in.)
It would be really cool and useful though! So if you need encouragement you got my vote :)
Also, since you plan on changing your pipes, maybe you wont need as many?

I thought about other ways to differentiate pipe usage as well.

Would it work to introduce acid damage to piping?
That way acids and other special fluids would need special pipes. Some require stainless, others require plastic since they attack stainless etc. Would improve immersion and add a proper reason for several of the pipe types.
Send train to station ID using combinator signal is a long overdue feature!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74663

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The main reason there are so many pipes is basically for use in recipes. and if you have the item, why wouldn't you be able to place it in the world too?

As for acid damage, or even a restriction for certain fluids to certain pipes, well, difficult to do, which is why I didn't.
I also have a Patreon.

mbattjes@gmail.com
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mbattjes@gmail.com »

Hello Bob, would you make the 'vanilla' faster and extremely fast belts a bit more expensive? When not using bob's ores they only cost gear wheels which is really cheap at that point, so i usually even skip faster belts. I suggest:

Faster belt: 1x express belt, 5x iron gears + 2x steel plates
Extremely fast belt: 1x faster belt, 5x iron gears + 2x lubricant

Faster underground belt: 1x express underground belt, 20x iron gears + 10x steel plates
Extremely fast underground belt: 1x faster underground belt, 20x iron gears + 10x lubricant

CMH
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CMH »

Hmm, I kinda like that specialized pipes idea.

Not sure what the coding would be, but is it possible to have 2 (or more) categories of liquids, and then have the pipes be able to transfer certain categories?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Logistics 0.14.1:
* Renamed all train items, entities and recipes to include a bob- prefix, making them unique.
* Added vehicle grid group

This should fix compatibility with other mods that add cargo wagons.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Don't kill the messenger

Any chance you can rename your fluids to the following scheme

bobs-liquid-lithia
bobs-gas-oxygen

If you do this don't forget recipes so they match fill-bobs-liquid-lithia-barrel, fill-bobs-oxygen-cannister (or was it bottle I can't remember)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Nexela wrote:Don't kill the messenger

Any chance you can rename your fluids to the following scheme

bobs-liquid-lithia
bobs-gas-oxygen

If you do this don't forget recipes so they match fill-bobs-liquid-lithia-barrel, fill-bobs-oxygen-cannister (or was it bottle I can't remember)
Fluids: no, the basic idea is that all resources and intermediate products should use a standard universal name so they can be used by other mods, but the methods to create(Recipe, Resource nodes etc), and use(Again, recipes) them should be different.(unless the recipe, or resource node is basically the same, then there only needs to be the one recipe/resource.) Also, Entities and objects used in the world (Generally any final products, so that also extends to things like Ammos) should also have a unique name. (Even though a lot of mine don't, I do change them if there are issues, Like I just did with Trains and Tanks.)

One of the biggest complains I get on the subject is "Can you merge your tin with 5dim's so I don't need 2 tin factories?" and the like... well, I agree that you shouldn't need the 2 factories to make the same item, just because it's in 2 different mods, so I use a standard name(Matching the base game's style if possible), it's not my fault other people don't.
On the other perspective though, unique recipe names is a good thing (Allowing each mod to define their own way to create the same thing, or use the same thing for all things that use that thing)

I've actually gone out of my way before to use names used by existing mods, EG, the internal names of Silicon and Silicon Wafers were changed to match those of other mods on request.

So, Oxygen and Lithia Water will remain as is.(Unless someone points out a universal scheme so that they do match the name of the items used in other mods.) I would change my recipes to be unique names, however I've not seen any evidence so far that a rename is required.

Does that make sense to you?
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Sort of..

My reasoning for asking was to find an easier way to get the fluid "type" since Factorio treats all fluids as liquids.

I tweaked gotlags omnibarrels mod to change Angels petrochecm gas items (which are prefixed with gas-) to use your air pump and bottle dynamically.

I am just doing a couple of string.finds for things like gas- steam- air- etc to choose barrel or bottle.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, I could possibly prefix gasses with gas-, but I'm not going to prefix them with bob-.

However, one of the reasons I haven't already is that... well, the base game doesn't. There's petroleum-gas that has it as a suffix, but none of the other fluids have a prefix or suffix.

Actually, given that the base game already suffixes things (plate, ore, gas, bar), I'd rather go with a suffix than a prefix. So, for example, "oxygen-gas".
I also have a Patreon.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

My take on this is that if any mod is just changing a vanilla recipe so that it uses different ingredients, then the recipe name should remain the same. An example is your bobplates mod that amends the recipe for batteries, but leaves the name the same.

If the mod is producing a new item/entity that isn't in vanilla, and it needs a recipe, then it would be best if the item/entity and the recipe had a unique prefix for each mod/modder.

There's one exception to this. All recipes that are used to fill or empty barrels should have the form...

'empty-'<fluid_name>'-barrel' or 'fill-'<fluid_name>'-barrel'

where <fluid_name> is either a vanilla fluid, or one created by a modder.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

DRY411S wrote:My take on this is that if any mod is just changing a vanilla recipe so that it uses different ingredients, then the recipe name should remain the same. An example is your bobplates mod that amends the recipe for batteries, but leaves the name the same.

If the mod is producing a new item/entity that isn't in vanilla, and it needs a recipe, then it would be best if the item/entity and the recipe had a unique prefix for each mod/modder.

There's one exception to this. All recipes that are used to fill or empty barrels should have the form...

'empty-'<fluid_name>'-barrel' or 'fill-'<fluid_name>'-barrel'

where <fluid_name> is either a vanilla fluid, or one created by a modder.
Yes to this

And as to what bob said a suffix will work too. and the bobs part isn't even needed I don't know why I even said that.

Also can you add/change the color for compressed air? hard to explain what I mean here without the mod in front of me but Omnibarrels tints the barrels based on the fluids color values and compressed air is black/something else making the canister look like it has a big black label. I will try to post a pic tonight when I get home.

Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Firestronk »

What happened to the very fast and extremely fast belts? I no longer see them in the crafting menu but I can still spawn them in through the console
Edit : and yes they are still set to enabled in the config file

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Firestronk wrote:What happened to the very fast and extremely fast belts? I no longer see them in the crafting menu but I can still spawn them in through the console
I didn't change anything, they should still be there...
Nexela wrote:Also can you add/change the color for compressed air? hard to explain what I mean here without the mod in front of me but Omnibarrels tints the barrels based on the fluids color values and compressed air is black/something else making the canister look like it has a big black label. I will try to post a pic tonight when I get home.
I suppose I could change the colour. The colour it is now isn't something I chose personally. At the time, "Liquid air" was a fluid used by both DyTech and Treefarm, with the exact same internal name, and fluid colours, so I did the same thing, just named it "Compressed" instead of "Liquid". Now, I've not been following DyTech(Basically, I gave up on DyTech because every time he did something new it would break my mod), but Treefarm renamed his to have a tf- prefix.
I also have a Patreon.

Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Firestronk »

bobingabout wrote:
Firestronk wrote:What happened to the very fast and extremely fast belts? I no longer see them in the crafting menu but I can still spawn them in through the console
I didn't change anything, they should still be there...
They are not there though... unless someone can confirm otherwise

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Firestronk wrote:They are not there though... unless someone can confirm otherwise
I can't check anything right now (Having access to things is actually quite rare, as I don't always check this at home), but thinking about the issue, I added new technologies "Logistics 4" and "Logistics 5" that unlock my new belts, these are not a bob- version in code, purely an extension to the base game versions.
What this means is, if another mod also adds Logistics 4 and 5 they may be re-defining the same technologies, and erasing mine in the process.

Please check that you have a Logistics 4 and 5 technology in your research list, and if so, what is on them. If they exist and my belts aren't on the unlock list, that's the answer, another mod is overriding them.

I CAN fix this in one of two ways:
Method 1: Change the technology that unlocks them to Purple Belts, and Green belts (That's the internal name, that'll have a more sensible name in game)
Method 2: Leave them on Logistics 4 and 5, but write it as if I expect someone to overwrite them, so the data.lua loading stage will create a blank technology, and data-updates.lua phase will add my belts to them. (So in the event they are over-written in the data.lua phase, they'll still unlock my belts anyway)

So, do that check for me, and when able I'll write this "Fix".
I also have a Patreon.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

bobingabout wrote:<snip>
Method 1: Change the technology that unlocks them to Purple Belts, and Green belts (That's the internal name, that'll have a more sensible name in game)
Method 2: Leave them on Logistics 4 and 5, but write it as if I expect someone to overwrite them, so the data.lua loading stage will create a blank technology, and data-updates.lua phase will add my belts to them. (So in the event they are over-written in the data.lua phase, they'll still unlock my belts anyway)

Won't your method 2 mean that the science needed to research the technology will have been defined by the other modder? It may upset the balance of your mod? I've not defined technologies before. Could it also mean that there are different predecessors/successors if you don't 'own' it's definition?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

DRY411S wrote:
bobingabout wrote:<snip>

Won't your method 2 mean that the science needed to research the technology will have been defined by the other modder? It may upset the balance of your mod? I've not defined technologies before. Could it also mean that there are different predecessors/successors if you don't 'own' it's definition?
This is correct, yes. If I'm going to change it, I most likely will use Method 1. Though, I do like to consider all the options.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”