[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What should go where?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Add everything to the logistics mod
40%
Everything inserter related in the new inserters mod
30%
Only the new adjustment functionallity in the inserters mod
30%

Total votes: 30

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.7] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by bobingabout »

bobingabout wrote:
snoopydude wrote:Bob,

I am brand new to your mods. I wanted to know how the robochests are supposed to be used. Is there a wiki for your mods? Thanks for your help. Your mods look really good, both content and graphics. Thanks for making them. :D
Robochests, one of the few graphics I actually made myself :3
Place them inside an existing robo-logistics zone as defined by a roboport, or Logistic Zone Expander (LZE) and it will link in with the network. Then it basically acts as a robot storage area, with a single charging port. You can store lots more robots in one of these, and is much smaller in size than a full roboport.
factorio wrote:
lysmy wrote:Hello,

this happens very often with all kind of materials, ores, plates etc.

sometimes it helps if items are picked manually from tunnel entrance but after a while it could jam again. however if it's first goes through blue tunnel, it normally works with faster tunnels without problems.

factorio 0.11.8
bob's logistics 0.1.5 (and all other bob's mods, latests versions)

thanks for awesome mods!
This SHOULD be fixed in version 0.1.7. Make sure you have the latest version, and if you still have problems, let me know.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

snoopydude
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by snoopydude »

Is there an express smart inserter?

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Nope ... it's a trade of, speed or smart, can'T have both.

theBeave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theBeave »

Alteration to crafting of inserters:

Situation: I was recently digging through the code for the logistics mod for tips/tricks and noticed that all the various inserters live as unique items -- that is to say that they are crafted as themselves, placed, and then mined as only that one item. So, once created, they can never be anything else - ever.

Thoughts:
It appears that the recipe for the various inserter variations are predominately the same (see NOTE*): fast inserter + 2 iron-plates + 2 electronic circuits. What if an intermediate inserter was made that basically became a vanilla-version of a bobs inserter? From this vanilla inserter, any of the variation could be crafted almost instantaneously. The time being near zero since the only 'work' being done is configuration, not actual crafting. Then, the crux of the proposal, mining the inserter returns it to the vanilla version.

If one ever finds themselves with a glut of one type of inserter they no longer think they need, they can simply take a couple minutes, place down then mine to return them to useful form.

Currently the inserter chain (trimmed for clarity):
plain > fast > bobs fast/near == only ever exists as this item, and could clutter inventory as such

Proposed chain:
plain > fast > bobs vanilla > bobs fast/near (or any other variation thereof) == mining returns item back to bobs vanilla for use in a different configuration

*NOTE: The various 'classes' of inserters have different recipes, ie plain vs. fast vs. smart vs. long. Each could/should have their own vanilla version. Although the crafting menu becomes quite diverse, the actual inventory one carries around can be quite small.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

theBeave wrote:Alteration to crafting of inserters:

Situation: I was recently digging through the code for the logistics mod for tips/tricks and noticed that all the various inserters live as unique items -- that is to say that they are crafted as themselves, placed, and then mined as only that one item. So, once created, they can never be anything else - ever.

Thoughts:
It appears that the recipe for the various inserter variations are predominately the same (see NOTE*): fast inserter + 2 iron-plates + 2 electronic circuits. What if an intermediate inserter was made that basically became a vanilla-version of a bobs inserter? From this vanilla inserter, any of the variation could be crafted almost instantaneously. The time being near zero since the only 'work' being done is configuration, not actual crafting. Then, the crux of the proposal, mining the inserter returns it to the vanilla version.

If one ever finds themselves with a glut of one type of inserter they no longer think they need, they can simply take a couple minutes, place down then mine to return them to useful form.

Currently the inserter chain (trimmed for clarity):
plain > fast > bobs fast/near == only ever exists as this item, and could clutter inventory as such

Proposed chain:
plain > fast > bobs vanilla > bobs fast/near (or any other variation thereof) == mining returns item back to bobs vanilla for use in a different configuration

*NOTE: The various 'classes' of inserters have different recipes, ie plain vs. fast vs. smart vs. long. Each could/should have their own vanilla version. Although the crafting menu becomes quite diverse, the actual inventory one carries around can be quite small.

YES! IMPLEMENT IT! PLZ!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The short reply would be... too much scripting.
There should be another mod just for inserters that adds the abillity to costimise inserters already, I don't want to copy.
I also have a Patreon.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

bobingabout wrote:The short reply would be... too much scripting.
There should be another mod just for inserters that adds the abillity to costimise inserters already, I don't want to copy.
He's not talking about customizing the inserters. He's talking about their crafting chain. The basics of which are that any of the near/far variations of inserters when mined, return the same inserter, that can then be crafted back into the desired type.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

oh. I guess I miss-understood that then.

The only thing I can think of that would cause problems, is that it could be a bit awkward to try and make fully automated systems, and use blueprints.
I also have a Patreon.

theBeave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theBeave »

The debate I had left to sort out is whether the 'mined' object from the inverters is itself an inserter or rather a non-placeable item.

A) bobs vanilla item IS inserter, then that is just one more item that the user might place and functions in the factorio world. Unnecessary clutter? Unless it provides an improvement itself, i.e.express inserter, and then the placement/pickup variations beyond that.

B) vanilla model IS NOT a placeable item, something similar to a lump of coal (the intermediate object does not itself have to be classed as an inserter). This path would be better in case the opposite of above. If the vanilla model is no improvement from the factorio baseline model, not duplicating 100% functionality for the sake of a name. I was toying with the idea of an inserter-in-a-crate icon/object.

Ideally the changes needed would be to simply create the intermediate item, and set the 'mine' flag for the other interferes to point back at this item.

Existing supply chains would likely break, though the vanilla item would not change the recipes any up to that point, just force another step beyond.

In some ways it could make life a bit easier, just as the player would not need to carry round a bunch of variations, the factory would not need to create an inventory of each type. The logistic system could be set to have only one of each type on hand. With the fast craft speed, they could be made on demand.

Ps: And at some point, it may make sense to put all these inserters under their own tab in the crafting window.
Diagonal inserters, since you would be digging into the item definitions?

crysanja
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by crysanja »

hi,

i have huge problems with blue+ splitters and underground belts.
its all about the lubricant. carrying splitters and underground belts of all levels uses alot of inventoryspace.

i thought of 2 possible solutions for the crafting on the job =)
either let us craft thouse out of their belts, bypassing the need of the lubricant, but still using it in the total costs.
or let us use lubricant barrels with an alternative crafting formula.

this would help alot =)

---
something else not so importand, you cant walk between electrolysers - would be nice if you could=)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I actually agree with you about the express stuff + there... but that's basically putting everything in line with how the devs wanted the game to work. They want everything to be an upgrade of the previous item.

Before they changed up a few things, I used to actually just carry belts of the 3 types with me, then make splitters as needed from them.

i suppose I could have an option to go the other waay... but, I'm not starting anything now. my mods as is are effectively as is for 0.11, 0.12 will be out soon, so any further changes will be for 0.12+ only.
I also have a Patreon.

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

I just craft the top tier belts, splitters, and undergrounds and only use them.

My most current game when my factory is really going fast I have something like 6 extreme belt lanes worth of copper going full-blast. Those fast belts really make life easier.

One thing I would love to see but don't know if it's possible is an underground belt that automatically turns. So objects can go in say on the west but out north or south. So you place the mouth of the underground belt, but instead of extending it forward, you go up or down.

The same could be said for splitters. A splitter that spit out objects perpendicular from where they went in on only one lane. The other lane works normally.
- Buggi -
Here's my Humble YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexibleGames

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.2] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by orzelek »

I've noticed something slightly off with upgraded roboports.

They require modular components but they also unlock them at the same time - making the tech for components a bit useless.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.3] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by Degraine »

Cobalt steel seems to be a solution looking for a problem to solve. Since there are high-speed steels that incorporate cobalt (just quietly ignore the tungsten component of the alloys...) could you add cobalt-steel cogs/bearings and replace the lubricant/iron gear components of express transport belts/belt-to-ground and splitters? It bugs me a little that a high performance tier belt is still using iron parts for upgrades, and I hate having to plumb in lubricant to just those three assemblers for a belt factory that includes your two tiers as well.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

In theory my higher tiers do need lubricans because the components used to make them require libricant.

And, Cobalt steel does have a purpose. It effectively is high speed steel, and is used in mining drills, or will be when I update the recipes if it isn't already.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

bobingabout wrote:In theory my higher tiers do need lubricans because the components used to make them require libricant.
Well yes, that was kinda the point. Adding something like that for tier 3 would make it consistent.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I could say... I don't want to edit it because I don't want to mess with base game too much....... but I've already edited the underground belt recipe to make that consistant...

I'll make a note of it and look at it next time I'm looking at that mod.
I also have a Patreon.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Do you plan creating Bob'ed Personal Roboports? I made a mod that fixes it's annoying behavior and now I'm studying mod support for it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

SHiRKiT wrote:Do you plan creating Bob'ed Personal Roboports? I made a mod that fixes it's annoying behavior and now I'm studying mod support for it.
I'm not certain, I haven't really used it yet, but it is something I may make.
I also have a Patreon.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 10#p103518

That post by kovarex might be of interest to you Bob.

Return to “Bob's mods”