[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What should go where?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Add everything to the logistics mod
40%
Everything inserter related in the new inserters mod
30%
Only the new adjustment functionallity in the inserters mod
30%

Total votes: 30

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by BlakeMW »

mbattjes@gmail.com wrote:This mod makes long inserter completely redundant. The only difference is the color, which i agree is nice.
The long inserter inserts about 25% faster than the basic inserter, and it inserts at exactly half the rate as the fast inserter which is handy for recipes which use a 2:1 ratio (example: iron gears, 2 plates in, 1 gears out). Also it only costs 3 iron plates more than the basic inserter making it fair value for money to get +25% insert speed.

Liquid5n0w
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liquid5n0w »

So I started using Bobs and in using my blueprints I realized I cannot blueprint the drop location of inserters anymore? Even long inserters don't get placed with the settings in the blueprint, they just get placed with what the GUI is set to.

Is there no way to have long inserters in a blueprint with basic inserters and have the blueprint work without manually going through each inserter to fix it?

mbattjes@gmail.com
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mbattjes@gmail.com »

BlakeMW wrote: The long inserter inserts about 25% faster than the basic inserter, and it inserts at exactly half the rate as the fast inserter which is handy for recipes which use a 2:1 ratio (example: iron gears, 2 plates in, 1 gears out). Also it only costs 3 iron plates more than the basic inserter making it fair value for money to get +25% insert speed.
Well that 2:1 ratio thing disappears as soon as you research stack size or assembly machine technology. A huge drawback however is that you can't upgrade it to Fast Inserter. The 25% more speed might be useful in some early game situations but if speed is the only benefit than we shouldn't call it Long Inserter and make it upgradeable to Fast Inserter.
Liquid5n0w wrote:So I started using Bobs and in using my blueprints I realized I cannot blueprint the drop location of inserters anymore?
I think it's a bug getting worked on.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

mbattjes@gmail.com wrote: A huge drawback however is that you can't upgrade it to Fast Inserter.
It's an easily remedied huge drawback as it's trivial to mod it so it is quick-replaceable.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

DOSorDIE wrote:... config it ... copy settings over all long ...
You're doing it wrong.

If you have Long Inserters researched, use the menu at the top of the screen to tell it you want the inserter to be long. Can be any inserter.
If you don't have the research, it should function as normal. if it isn't, something is wrong, and I need to know.
Liquid5n0w wrote:So I started using Bobs and in using my blueprints I realized I cannot blueprint the drop location of inserters anymore? Even long inserters don't get placed with the settings in the blueprint, they just get placed with what the GUI is set to.

Is there no way to have long inserters in a blueprint with basic inserters and have the blueprint work without manually going through each inserter to fix it?
Okay, this is a bug that I didn't know about, and really does need fixing. I'll see what I can do about it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

After playing near daily since 2013 ... its so automatic that i realised it later when it not worked.

Red = Long! One look and i known, its all who it should.
The Color help me to build fast and without error.
I only want that when i place a Long inserter that it is a long Inserter and not a normal one.
I build with shortcuts ... so i need many more clicks for the same work.

The new system is nice to have, but not in this way.
So i must look what settings are now active.
I press 1 and i known its a normal inserter
2 Long Inserter
3 Fast Inserter
usw ...

I know its hard to make it for all enjoyable ...
Its Ok when you make a setting in the config like Long Inserter always Long Inserter ...

I hope you find a good solution BOB!

dauphin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dauphin »

I think this bug must be affecting me too. Every time I place a blueprint since researching those technologies, all the inserters are either long or short. My savegame is basically dead in the water until this is fixed.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

dauphin wrote:I think this bug must be affecting me too. Every time I place a blueprint since researching those technologies, all the inserters are either long or short. My savegame is basically dead in the water until this is fixed.
Must confirm it :/

Btw: Is it possible to make the inserter arm lenght and the filter be copyable independently?

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Logistics 0.13.10:
* Added an option to the GUI to enable/disable the hand position overides.

This will allow you to turn it off before placing a blueprint, or just when you don't want to use it.

A proper blueprint fix will come later.

steinio wrote:Btw: Is it possible to make the inserter arm lenght and the filter be copyable independently?
Something for future work.
I also have a Patreon.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Thx for the Fix BOB ... that the perfect from both worlds.
Im happy with it :D

Elirium
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Elirium »

Greetings. There was a slight problem with your mod - namely, the conflict with the mod General Improvements. When you load the game gives an error message informs that cargo-wagon-2 is present in 2 copies. I ask you to solve the problem if possible. Thank you!

Nilaus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nilaus »

Now that I have completed my first game of Bobs Mods I'd like to share some feedback on the logistics mod.
At first the inserter logic infuriated me as it was not described and not intuitive. The fact that red inserters were short was tormenting me.
As I got used to it the Shift-N and Shift-L became second nature and was actually a brilliant way of managing the length. Also the near/far side of the belt is great to be in control of.
I just wish it was easier to get into for the first time, but I guess that is part of the game Factorio...

My one gripe is the fact that blueprints do not store the positioning of the inserters if they have been changed with shift-n and shift-l. This is making blueprints of for example smelting areas a lot less carefree. Is this something you can fix please?

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

If you use the gui to change the length and position it gets stored in blueprints. at least for me.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Blueprints work but you need to disable the GUI override while placing blueprint or it will mess up positions stored in blueprint.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Elirium wrote:Greetings. There was a slight problem with your mod - namely, the conflict with the mod General Improvements. When you load the game gives an error message informs that cargo-wagon-2 is present in 2 copies. I ask you to solve the problem if possible. Thank you!
They need to update their mod to change the cargo wagon 2 item to use the new "item-with-entity-data" type, to conform to the new standard.

Though, I do acknowledge that I probably should rename the train entities to use the bob- prefix like a lot of my other entities, so it exists side by side with whatever other mods add.
Nilaus wrote:The fact that red inserters were short was tormenting me.
The updated mod (0.13.10 or 0.14.0) should have an enable position overrides option in the top menu (Click the icon of an express inserter that should be on the top of the screen), disabled by default. when this is disabled, they should be placeable as normal.
Nilaus wrote:My one gripe is the fact that blueprints do not store the positioning of the inserters if they have been changed with shift-n and shift-l. This is making blueprints of for example smelting areas a lot less carefree. Is this something you can fix please?
Again, when the enable position overides option is turned off in the top menu shouldn't happen in the updated version of the mod. On top of that, 0.14.0 version SHOULD automatically ignore the override on blueprint placement positions. in other words, 0.14 version of the mod should already have working blueprints. (It checks if you have a blueprint or blueprint book in your cursor, which should be a requirement for placing a blueprint)
orzelek wrote:Blueprints work but you need to disable the GUI override while placing blueprint or it will mess up positions stored in blueprint.
As stated above, this SHOULD be fixed in the 0.14.0 release.

If you are having any of these issues in 0.13.10, or 0.14.0 versions of my logistics mod, let me know.
I also have a Patreon.

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doxsroxs »

Hi

I have been struggling to understand the pipe throughput figures vs boilers and steam generators while rebuilding our powerplant.

Current setp per row is 20 T2 boilers (seem to be a 1.5 ratio needed) for 13 T2 steam engines (nr 13 not running 100% due to water shortage).
This is in turn fed by 3 offshore pumps.
This was all arrived to by experimentation. Water being the limiting factor. Also the requirement is for it to work without electric pump aid since that prevents recovery in case of power failure.

The problem with all of this though is that I cannot seem to understand the numbers behind it. Old posts stating other figures.

Is there any up to date information available regarding number of boilers, pumps and steam generators?
Send train to station ID using combinator signal is a long overdue feature!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74663

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah... I'd use a separate pipe per offshore pump, due to throughput issues.
I also have a Patreon.

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doxsroxs »

bobingabout wrote:Yeah... I'd use a separate pipe per offshore pump, due to throughput issues.
Are you telling me I can feed more than 12½ steam generators if I use separate pipes?
I did not see any such effect when testing. I currently use Bronze pipes and have the offshore pumps coupled in parallell.

Im currently trying an improved setup where I run pipes past the first 13 to add another column of 13 on top of that for a total of 26.
This setup has way more pipe since its going past the first 13 generators, but I still manage to run just over 12½ of them from 3 parallell offshore pumps.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I also recommend the base game size pipes for maximum throughput too... (The entire flow system is programmed around the current values for the base game pipe, and water) to the point that I've considered changing all pipes to the base size.
Iron, Steel, Titanium and Tungsten have the base game size.

See this post for Ratios: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4831#p36792
But basically, 3 pumps should be able to provide enough water for 30 MK1 steam engines, 20 MK2 steam engines, or 15 MK3 steam engines. Due to the 6.66 rounding issues of the MK2 steam engine, join the ends of each line together, so that the excess of the short line can loop back and make up for the shortage on the long lines.
I also have a Patreon.

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doxsroxs »

bobingabout wrote:I also recommend the base game size pipes for maximum throughput too... (The entire flow system is programmed around the current values for the base game pipe, and water) to the point that I've considered changing all pipes to the base size.
Iron, Steel, Titanium and Tungsten have the base game size.

See this post for Ratios: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4831#p36792
But basically, 3 pumps should be able to provide enough water for 30 MK1 steam engines, 20 MK2 steam engines, or 15 MK3 steam engines. Due to the 6.66 rounding issues of the MK2 steam engine, join the ends of each line together, so that the excess of the short line can loop back and make up for the shortage on the long lines.
Thanks, thats some good info. Ill have a look at it. But for now my power plant is fully functional and will restart if power fails. (thats why I hate pump solutions)

Have you thought about adding separate pipes to your mod by the way?
Its something that has always annoyed me that you cant put parallel pipes.

This guy seems to have solved it in a good way:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Flow%20Control

Return to “Bob's mods”