[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What should go where?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Add everything to the logistics mod
40%
Everything inserter related in the new inserters mod
30%
Only the new adjustment functionallity in the inserters mod
30%

Total votes: 30

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by bobingabout »

I see you're still using the version 12 stuff. A lot of things have changed in my 0.13 mod relating to the inserters. The extra types of each inserter have all been removed in favour of configuring them, and I have added Express Filter (Equivalent of Smart in 0.12), Stack and Stack Filter inserters to fill the holes you have mentioned.

Depending on your level of research, my GUI changes in complexity to give you less or more options, but keep in mind that every option in the final version was asked for, including the hot keys (They are an option, everything that can be done in a hotkey can also be done in the GUI, though there are still a few things that can be done in the GUI that can't be done with hotkeys currently, like rotating the drop location, or changing the offset anything other than near/far side of belt)

But the biggest negative about my new GUI is simply "I don't like this new K&L bullshit", so the fact that you're recommending K&L over mine is a little surprising.

I am trying to write a new simplified version of the GUI built into the Logistics mod, rather than it's own mod that will allow you to choose the options that existed before I removed all but the standard inserter variants in favour of the GUI, but so far it only works if the player places the inserter himself, if he uses SHIFT + LMB to place a ghost, the ghost is unaffected. Now, I can detect if the player places a ghost, but I get an error when accessing the hand positions, simply stating that those tags don't exist. The preview in the hand also only shows the standard configuration, even though when placed you get something far different.

I'm glad you like the rest of the mod though, and I'll continue to work on improving things.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Its probably a hacky work around but for ghosts what about storing your data when the ghost is built then using on_robot_built event to set them until this issue gets addressed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I thought about that, and although a Viable option, one that I want to avoid.

There are 2 other options though:
I have been informed that saving hand positions to a ghost entity still works, what doesn't is reading the drop position... so.

Option 1: We place a ghost, we know what it is a ghost of... so, in scripting, we create an identical entity in the same position, read the pickup and drop positions from that entity, We now have the pickup and drop positions of the ghost, so we can delete the entity, make any changes to those numbers, then save to the ghost.
(Note, reading is only a problem in the first place if we only want to change some numbers, like we have access to only long inserters tech, so want to place a long inserter, but don't know if the original was near or far. We can assume far, but the original entity could be a near inserter from another mod, and I want to be able to account for that and place a long near inserter, not a long far. Alternatively, you could have access to near inserters tech, so you want to place a near inserter. again you can assume it is a standard inserter we're placing, so simply set it to a 1 tile reach with near offset... but it could be the long inserter, or another long inserter from someone elses mod.)

Option 2: Rseding91 fixed the bug in 0.13.12, so you can read hand positions of ghost entities. I could wait until it is released, and then lock the new version to >= 0.13.12.
I also have a Patreon.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

bobingabout wrote:Option 2: Rseding91 fixed the bug in 0.13.12, so you can read hand positions of ghost entities. I could wait until it is released, and then lock the new version to >= 0.13.12.
Option 2! The time spent on doing a work around for something that will probably be released fairly soon doesn't seem worth it even if you do have to lock it to the new version Which since we are still "experimental" shouldn't be an issue.

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

option 2, hands down.

aTeLe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by aTeLe »

bobingabout wrote:I see you're still using the version 12 stuff. A lot of things have changed in my 0.13 mod relating to the inserters.
I apologize that the used mods are so old. It took some time to get the motivation to play through factorio completely again after I made this little modpack and I didn't bother to update.

Yesterday I downloaded the newest v.0.12 mods, because I wanted to add the weaponry and enemies and I already saw some changes, even when it's just different standards in the config. e.g. that the God modules are disabled, which makes me think that many people (maybe even you) think they are overpowered, which I can understand :D
The extra types of each inserter have all been removed in favour of configuring them, and I have added Express Filter (Equivalent of Smart in 0.12), Stack and Stack Filter inserters to fill the holes you have mentioned.

Depending on your level of research, my GUI changes in complexity to give you less or more options, but keep in mind that every option in the final version was asked for, including the hot keys
Sounds actually great. I mean, I didn't even use the K&L inserters that often, it's just an easy solution for some special cases, which simply feels great. And the fact that my crafting windows was full with your inserters, that I didn't need, was a bit annoying :D
(They are an option, everything that can be done in a hotkey can also be done in the GUI, though there are still a few things that can be done in the GUI that can't be done with hotkeys currently, like rotating the drop location, or changing the offset anything other than near/far side of belt)

But the biggest negative about my new GUI is simply "I don't like this new K&L bullshit", so the fact that you're recommending K&L over mine is a little surprising.
I'm looking at the mod-website again and I think a great deal of the problems I had come from the presentation, which isn't even fully your fault.

First of all: I can't even click on the pictures to look at them in fullscreen or bigger, so I only can see those 5 little thumbnails - so either the screenshots are bad or the damn website is buggy. (edit: wtf I clicked now on the title of that website and it shows one of the screenshots bigger, but not when I click on the thumbnails? What kind of buggy bullcrap is this?!) I tried two different browsers. As long as this isn't fixed you should have an alternative and the link from the "Homepage" should link exactly to the page where the same information. This isn't your fault, but it's a bad presentation and you should provide a workaround.

The next points are more of a subjective nature. You use 5 screenshots to explain the mod, while K&L uses only one. This gives a feeling of simplicity. Also your GUI looks more complex and bigger, even that it does pretty much the same thing. So, how I said, my first impression in my post before was based on what I see, and it seems that the issues are exclusively presentation based. Now that you explained it to me, I might try it out at one point.
I am trying to write a new simplified version of the GUI built into the Logistics mod, rather than it's own mod that will allow you to choose the options that existed before I removed all but the standard inserter variants in favour of the GUI, but so far it only works if the player places the inserter himself, if he uses SHIFT + LMB to place a ghost, the ghost is unaffected. Now, I can detect if the player places a ghost, but I get an error when accessing the hand positions, simply stating that those tags don't exist. The preview in the hand also only shows the standard configuration, even though when placed you get something far different.

I'm glad you like the rest of the mod though, and I'll continue to work on improving things.
Sounds great. I hope my feedback didn't come off like "you should change it", because sometimes trying to please everybody isn't really a good idea.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

First of all: I can't even click on the pictures to look at them in fullscreen or bigger, so I only can see those 5 little thumbnails - so either the screenshots are bad or the damn website is buggy. (edit: wtf I clicked now on the title of that website and it shows one of the screenshots bigger, but not when I click on the thumbnails? What kind of buggy bullcrap is this?!)
It is a known issue with the mod portal and has taken a backseat since the mod portal is functionial-ish.... It will get fixed in time. For now to view thumbnails, click the thumbnail, then click the title.

Tergiver
Inserter
Inserter

[0.13.x][v0.13.7] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by Tergiver »

Both the Logistics and Construction MK1 and MK2 brains (robot-brain-logistic, robot-brain-construction) have the same recipe. The combat robot brains look more correct, that is they follow a sensible progression (basic-circuit-board, circuit-board, etc.).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Is it intentional that faster belt is so costly?
It needs 5 titanium gears and 5 titanium bearing per 1 belt.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

whatever the standard costs in iron, the faster requires in titanium. if you look at it that way, 5 titanium isn't that expensive.
I also have a Patreon.

peterf83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peterf83 »

Help please, I'm probably being a noob but not sure what I have done wrong.

I downloaded the inserter migration tool, booted up Factorio, did a save and shut it down. I then updated Bob's Mods and now all my express long inserters are gone. Are they no longer part of the game? I can't see any research to get them. This has proper fucked my map up as I was very advanced. I don't want to have to use standard long inserters.

solntcev
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by solntcev »

Not sure how to use migration mod, but now any inserters can have any length: you can configure them with hotkeys after "Inserter Configuration" research.

peterf83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peterf83 »

Thanks, I just worked that out, seems like a pain the ass though. I have about 2000 inserters to re place ! plus adjusting them is a pain.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

copy-paste works on the positions too
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

peterf83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peterf83 »

Yes, but is there any way of not having that box that comes up asking about where to pick from etc.

solntcev
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by solntcev »

There are separate hotkeys for pickup, place locations and rotation. Look up in Options -> key binding -> Mods

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

peterf83 wrote:Thanks, I just worked that out, seems like a pain the ass though. I have about 2000 inserters to re place ! plus adjusting them is a pain.
It looks like the migration mod failed to work properly. It should store all the long inserters and after that on new load they should end up as fast inserters with long distance set up.
What did you get instead of those inserters?

peterf83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peterf83 »

It deleted all of my express inserters, long and standard. All my normal and fast long inserters were fine. Unfortunately for me I had about 2k express inserters. It makes sense I guess as I had to research the new express inserter technology before you can have them.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

peterf83 wrote:It deleted all of my express inserters, long and standard. All my normal and fast long inserters were fine. Unfortunately for me I had about 2k express inserters. It makes sense I guess as I had to research the new express inserter technology before you can have them.
It looks like migration error then. Or you missed some step in migration - remember to load up migration mod, make sure it's enabled, save the game and then upgrade logistics (I think without removing the migration mod).

If I understand correctly it should change all of those to express inserters. It's really strange that it would remove normal express inserters since they were not removed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

If you did the migration correctly, you shouldn't need to replace anything, because that's the purpose of the migration mod. It might not have been your fault, but if the long inserters became standard reach, then something went wrong.

Currently, you need the adjustable inserters mod to change the reach, but I'm going to incorporate a small placement GUI into the logistics mod, this will change the pickup and drop reach on placement only, you'll still need the adjustable inserters mod to change them after placement.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”