[0.17] Please post bugs and balance issues here.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

largpack
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17] Please post bugs and balance issues here.

Post by largpack »

Thank you for your answer! You were totally right. I just had to remove the "wrong" logistic science pack and the purple one showed up. Why didn't I think of trying that :)

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

possible bug, or me not understanding bob's power:

0.17.34, bobs power 0.17.4
doing a nuclear setup, with 2x10 reactors. this should net me 40mw x3 x4 = 480mw from the 4 end reactors, and 40mw x4 x16 = 2,560mw for the 16 middle reactors, total 3,040mw.

Heat Exchanger MK3 consume 18mw. 3040/18 = 168.8. so 168 heat exchangers at max load should be the limit.
Steam Turbine MK3 output 9MW power. so double the exchangers IE 168 = 336 (safely)

however, something isnt working right, because thats all assuming 765c steam, but the Heat Exchangers start working once the temp is ~501c, and still produce 765c steam.

This should max out around 3.02GW, however thats not the case, overloaded with heat exchangers and turbines, i can get over 3GW out of this. it seems mostly stable at 180 Heat Exchangers and 360 Turbines, total of 3.24GW

I think the "extra", is due to that 765/501 issue. if the Heat Exchanger Mark 3s were coded to not operate below 765, then they would be limited to the expected ~168.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

HurkWurk wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 am
possible bug, or me not understanding bob's power:

0.17.34, bobs power 0.17.4
doing a nuclear setup, with 2x10 reactors. this should net me 40mw x3 x4 = 480mw from the 4 end reactors, and 40mw x4 x16 = 2,560mw for the 16 middle reactors, total 3,040mw.

Heat Exchanger MK3 consume 18mw. 3040/18 = 168.8. so 168 heat exchangers at max load should be the limit.
Steam Turbine MK3 output 9MW power. so double the exchangers IE 168 = 336 (safely)

however, something isnt working right, because thats all assuming 765c steam, but the Heat Exchangers start working once the temp is ~501c, and still produce 765c steam.

This should max out around 3.02GW, however thats not the case, overloaded with heat exchangers and turbines, i can get over 3GW out of this. it seems mostly stable at 180 Heat Exchangers and 360 Turbines, total of 3.24GW

I think the "extra", is due to that 765/501 issue. if the Heat Exchanger Mark 3s were coded to not operate below 765, then they would be limited to the expected ~168.
This is an interesting one I'm going to have to look into, however, it shouldn't matter what temperature the power is consumed at, it should absorb 18MW of power. if this isn't the case, could it be a bug with the way heat power works?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

I don't know enough about the works to say. I also need to let this run for about an hour and check again to make sure it's not residual heat. I was testing with it for about ~5 min at a shot, but read some place else that someone had nuclear take about 20 min to settle.

EDIT: i let it settle over time and the excess went away, dropping back to the expected 3GW. it appears that nuclear just takes a long time to bleed off that extra heat.

Evgeni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Ores - quartz does not spawn

Post by Evgeni »

so almost 90 minutes into a deathworld game i noticed there is no quartz anywhere, and i can't evolve to make steel. :(

i restarted several times and used map reveal command. nearly none of them had quarts.
also, i noticed some resource frequantly spawn one inside the other (zinc inside nickle, silver inside thorium). i suspected it could be covered by something else, so i played with resource sizes.

The bottomline: in most maps some quartz spawns under the coal. coal is much bigger so it kills all the quartz. in some maps quartz spawns ONLY under coal, making the map unplayable (the only path to steel without steel requires quarts distillery, later you need wafers)

this bug happens with many other materials, but you usually have thin external ring left

Evgeni

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ores - quartz does not spawn

Post by bobingabout »

Evgeni wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:52 pm
so almost 90 minutes into a deathworld game i noticed there is no quartz anywhere, and i can't evolve to make steel. :(

i restarted several times and used map reveal command. nearly none of them had quarts.
also, i noticed some resource frequantly spawn one inside the other (zinc inside nickle, silver inside thorium). i suspected it could be covered by something else, so i played with resource sizes.

The bottomline: in most maps some quartz spawns under the coal. coal is much bigger so it kills all the quartz. in some maps quartz spawns ONLY under coal, making the map unplayable (the only path to steel without steel requires quarts distillery, later you need wafers)

this bug happens with many other materials, but you usually have thin external ring left

Evgeni
Welcome to the mod-unfriendly 0.17 map generator.

If the issues cause too many problems, revert to 0.17.0 of bobores that still uses the old ore generator, or upgrade to use RSO (Resource spawner overhaul) that uses a custom ore generator (Fully compatible with my mods).
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Ores - quartz does not spawn

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Evgeni wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:52 pm

Evgeni
I highly recommend going with RSO mod, it will solve your ore spawning issues if you do not want to revert Bob's Ores mod. 0.17 vanilla map generation changed a bit with the game's updates. And yes, the quartz ore and coal ore spawn on top of each other; the map generation places the quartz down before the coal, so the coal overwrites the quartz. If you desire to stay with what you have, you can play the game with both ores always together, just size the coal down to 50% and up the size of quartz to 200% or 300%; it will be a ring around the coal. Mess with the richness to suit your needs, at least 200% for both, since the area is shared by them.

Evgeni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Evgeni »

Thanks!

I added RSO and it seems to work well now...

Are there other mods you can recommend me to use with Bob's? (except angle's... i dont think i am ready for so much complexity yet)

and another question (is it ok to write it here? should i use the general post next time?)... configurable inserts are amazing but i find them impractical to use before i have drones. it there a way to "copy" inserter positions the same way you copy assembler content or box limit? is there a way to place an inserter over a blueprint such that it keeps to the blueprint's position?

PS
your mods are absolutely amazing! thank you so much!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Evgeni wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:18 pm
Thanks!

Are there other mods you can recommend me to use with Bob's? (except angle's... i dont think i am ready for so much complexity yet)

and another question (is it ok to write it here? should i use the general post next time?)... configurable inserts are amazing but i find them impractical to use before i have drones. it there a way to "copy" inserter positions the same way you copy assembler content or box limit? is there a way to place an inserter over a blueprint such that it keeps to the blueprint's position?

PS
your mods are absolutely amazing! thank you so much!
Blueprints will copy the position, I haven't really tried copy-paste though, in theory it should copy the position, but it didn't exist when I wrote the code, so maybe it doesn't.
You can also use the inserters menu, top left, opened by clicking the blue inserter button at the top of the screen and configure an inserter before you place it, doing so allows you to place many of the same configuration.

As for other mods... most of it is just your own preferences, but I'd recommend one of the bob-friendly Loader mods out there. I'm not sure which are bob friendly anymore.

I also have Klonan's Unit Control mod installed, it lets you give orders to the robot drones... but that's a very specific entity use case. I should add more automated units of this type. (Actually, I was thinking of making a player owned nest that spawned a custom set of units, a robot factory of sorts)
I also have a Patreon.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

Standard copy and paste works fine on inserters, for filters and position and stack size. There is some oddness where it has issues between types (ie filter stack to normal).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

arbarbonif wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:55 pm
Standard copy and paste works fine on inserters, for filters and position and stack size. There is some oddness where it has issues between types (ie filter stack to normal).
I meant the copy paste tools on the bottom right panel, like when you'd use a blueprint. it's basically blueprint-less blueprints.
but yes, it does work.
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Evgeni wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:18 pm

RSO works well with Bob's Ores, so you should be set now for ore generation. Just note that large bodies of water can prevent ores from generating at times.

I do not play with Angel's, as his mods limit the number of ores generated in the world to 6 (his 4 and stone and coal); which in my opinion really restricts the logistical complexity that all of the various ores create from Bob's Ores. I'd rather have to manage 12+ ores over "realism/complexity" of manufacturing, which is just additional steps in the process to final products.

As for any other mods that work well with Bob's, there are plenty (I play with 105+ mods!). One really good one is the AAI mods suite. Specifically, the AAI Industry mod is great as it adds a few more recipes in the early game to prolong the early game (more burner based structures). Plus, once you figure out the autonomous mining and hauling, it is fun to manage resource logistics before trains are unlocked. And also, if you want a difficult nuclear power setup, use Realistic Reactors mod.
bobingabout wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:52 pm
I also have Klonan's Unit Control mod installed, it lets you give orders to the robot drones... but that's a very specific entity use case. I should add more automated units of this type. (Actually, I was thinking of making a player owned nest that spawned a custom set of units, a robot factory of sorts)
Interesting idea. Would this be something like a bunch of robots are created, and you command them to perform various tasks for you; more like a semi-automated set up?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

RocketManChronicles wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 am
bobingabout wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:52 pm
Interesting idea. Would this be something like a bunch of robots are created, and you command them to perform various tasks for you; more like a semi-automated set up?
It's basically player owned biters, except they wouldn't be biters, they'd be robots. in theory they go attack enemy biters for you, but now that biter attacks are even more closely related to pollution, I'm not sure how well it would work.

but unit control would work on them too, so random units spawn from the list, then you use them to attack the enemy using unit control.
I also have a Patreon.

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

I'm getting this error when I load my save with latest clock update.

error.png
error.png (38.88 KiB) Viewed 5366 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

fishycat wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:16 pm
I'm getting this error when I load my save with latest clock update.

error.png
Bollocks.
I know why it did that, I'll fix it.
I also have a Patreon.

Kaiku
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kaiku »

I think there might be a bug with the spawning of gemstone patches. When I turn the frequency down (to, say, 25%), they get absolutely massive in size - so large you could build an entire factory on one. I don't believe the frequency of patches should affect their size, right? I can easily replicate this in the preview window before starting a game.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kaiku wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:36 am
I think there might be a bug with the spawning of gemstone patches. When I turn the frequency down (to, say, 25%), they get absolutely massive in size - so large you could build an entire factory on one. I don't believe the frequency of patches should affect their size, right? I can easily replicate this in the preview window before starting a game.
That's not a bug, that pre-0.17 behaviour. If you revert to 0.17.0 of bobores (before I tried to use 0.17 spawning stuff), you'll find ALL of my ores do this.
The only reason why I made this change is because when I was working with the 0.17 ore generation stuff it wouldn't generate gems at all.

Also 0.17 generation is buggy enough as it is, I need to completely rework the ore generation stuff still.
I also have a Patreon.

Knightof0suzaku
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Knightof0suzaku »

I have noticed that the greenhouse mod seems to have an inconsistent amount of wood or seedlings returned made wood and got 20 instead of 15 for example made seedlings and it can give less or more then what should be given

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Knightof0suzaku wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 pm
I have noticed that the greenhouse mod seems to have an inconsistent amount of wood or seedlings returned made wood and got 20 instead of 15 for example made seedlings and it can give less or more then what should be given
It's a display rounding - it shows average of possible results. Actual recipe randomly varies amount of wood.

Return to “Bob's mods”