[0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should this mod add the new Bob style electronics as stand alone?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Move the electronics out of Bob's MCI into Bob's Electronics mod (Renamed from Electronics Overide) (The mod Adds my electronics, and sets the overides)
73%
Leave it as is (Can only be used with Bob's MCI)
27%

Total votes: 11

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Post by Airat9000 »

Chreutz wrote:I made these icons today, if anyone is interested. They're made to be recognizable for both vanilla and bob's-players.

EDIT: corrected an issue with a white translucent shape behind the basic circuit board.

;) good! :)

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Some problems with Smart Insertes mod viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4784#p36452
This is original mod and its working now and its working with your mods, иге recipes disappear after some time after i researching basic electronics which opening smart inserter from base game
Can u help me to repair this mod to be be compatible with your mods? This mod has dependency to electronics technology so i'll write my post here
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I took a quick look at the mod. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello bob,

like mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=51&t=25714&p=162267#p162267 maybe you have a inovative idea about producing wood from scratch.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Want them?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Those are actually really good, I like them, but isn't the green one also supposed to have gold tracks?
I also have a Patreon.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Angel, those are beautiful. But so are Bob's and I've really gotten used to them.

I've logged in with a proposal of my own that I'm a bit lazy to code myself. As electronics have evolved in real life, older devices (e.g. ball mice and portable Phillips' cassette players e.g. Sony Walkman) have been replaced by newer devices which are either cheaper/easier on power and of equivalent functionality (e.g. optical mice) or better functionality (e.g. portable Flash/MP3 players e.g. iPod.) Some (not all, 555 and 7400 fans!) components have gone out of production. In a lot of cases, older functions are performed by newer circuits. My equivalent proposal for Bob's Electronics is called Panelization, and I think it would be quite handy for some players who would like to toss older tier electronics factories even if they still need their older tier electronics boards. Panelization is just a series of recipes to allow lower tier electronics to be made from higher tier intermediates in greater numbers, and is named after the modern practice of making a batch of small electronic boards on a much larger panel. Here's a real-life example with Dave Jone's Micro-Current, a low parasite voltage panel ammeter (assuming I understand it correctly.) Here are some proposed recipes:
  • 1 phenolic board, 1 copper plate, 0.5 ferric chloride -> 4 basic circuit boards
    1 circuit board, 20 basic electronic components -> 4 basic electronic boards
The preceding are on the basis of making four first tier electronic circuits as a second tier panel with first tier components. This would presumably be a 2x scaled up board of the same density, 50% reduction in feature size, or some combination (e.g. 20% of both); the game doesn't care. Introducing transistors into a basic circuit design might save a few passives. (LSI designers have gotten really good at this over the years, especially memory manufacturers deep trenching capacitors for DRAM into silicon.)
  • 1 circuit board, 24 basic electronic components, 8 transistors -> 8 basic electronic boards
These sorts of recipes could allow one to build a single highest tier electronics factory with branch lines for lower tier circuitry. Or, the way I tend to do things, jump in and change the recipe of a (quite often the) final assembly machine for a few minutes until I have enough to last a few days. Primitive wooden boards would be eliminated from the factory, even if the outputs still use the "primitive wooden board" graphics (i.e. otherwise would require writing new recipes for every basic circuit using thing in the game to accept new "basic" intermediates from Panelization. Sure, they do that in real life because millions of customers, thousands of engineers, marketroids and their planned obsolescence, and decades of product evolution, but in Factorio?) This seems appropriate with Angel's more advanced looking wooden board graphics :lol:

Think I should do more on this idea or would you like to take it from here?

Tysdal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tysdal »

Ran into a problem with the syntetic/normal wood. After i researched one of the oil techs (the one that unlocks synthetic wood) the syntetic wood replaces the normal wood as the base board for all circuits.

So if i want to build a solar panel or something and only have normal wood in my inventory, it will not allow me to build it, saying im missing an ingerdient.

Can be bypassed by manually building either wood board (synthwood/normalwood) ofcourse. Or making synth wood.

Im using "Bio Industries" for wood, over your wood mod. Might be the reason. (full list of my mods is in this post here)

If this is to be "fixed" would i have to remove the synth wood recipe completely to get the game to default back to the normal wood wood board?
If so, how do i go about removing a recipe? It would be in a lua file within the electronics mod zip then?

Sorry if this is misposted, but the synth wood had "Bob's Electronics" written in the info panel, so i figured it was the source.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

That's a known issue and IIRC can't be fixed because of the order the recipes are unlocked.

As your said, manually make the wooden boards first.

Otherwise, pick up the circuits from your factory completed.

Tysdal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tysdal »

Guess i will carry around some wooden boards then=) Not too big a deal. Ty PiggyWhiskey.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

You're going to need wood anyway, so carry wood, and when you want a dozen or so circuits, make a dozen of the boards first. They don't need to be finished before you can start the circuit craft

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:That's a known issue and IIRC can't be fixed because of the order the recipes are unlocked.

As your said, manually make the wooden boards first.

Otherwise, pick up the circuits from your factory completed.
This one always bugged me and I think Bob had a reason for doing it this way but why not have the synthetic recipe just output regular wood boards?

Or as an alternative if it is based on recipe unlocks would a script that locks and then unlocks wood boards when synthetic is researched work? of course then you would have the problem with everyone having synthetic boards in their inv not being able to hand make circuits.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have tried out a few different possible solutions to trying to fix the wood crafting issues when synthetic wood unlocks, but I haven't come up with any solutions so far.

Now, the main reason why I don't want to make the synthetic wood recipe give just normal wood, is because... well, for starters, you get the same issue where it won't automatically turn logs into wood, and I don't want to go back as far as making synthetic logs, because then recipes like finding seeds in logs would be possible from synthetic wood.

Make sense?
I also have a Patreon.

Catbert
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Catbert »

How about: Handcrafting only with non-synthetic wood, and machines get 2 recipes to choose from different woods.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

bobingabout wrote:Now, the main reason why I don't want to make the synthetic wood recipe give just normal wood, is because... well, for starters, you get the same issue where it won't automatically turn logs into wood, and I don't want to go back as far as making synthetic logs
Why not just create regular wood planks instead of synthetic ones from oil?
bobingabout wrote:because then recipes like finding seeds in logs would be possible from synthetic wood.
Only if you make wood logs from oil. If you make wood planks directly there won't be an issue.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

hoho wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Now, the main reason why I don't want to make the synthetic wood recipe give just normal wood, is because... well, for starters, you get the same issue where it won't automatically turn logs into wood, and I don't want to go back as far as making synthetic logs
Why not just create regular wood planks instead of synthetic ones from oil?
bobingabout wrote:because then recipes like finding seeds in logs would be possible from synthetic wood.
Only if you make wood logs from oil. If you make wood planks directly there won't be an issue.
Did you actually test/check what you are claiming? In my mod you can make wood boards from cellulose and its still the same shit. This is not an issue with recipes or the mods, its plain a bug or oversight in the game.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

hoho wrote:Why not just create regular wood planks instead of synthetic ones from oil?
bobingabout wrote:Now, the main reason why I don't want to make the synthetic wood recipe give just normal wood, is because... well, for starters, you get the same issue where it won't automatically turn logs into wood
Instead of the issue where you can't Automatically turn wood into wooden boards, you instead get the issue where you can't automatically turn logs into wood.
Obviously you can still use the recipe to manually turn logs into wood, or wood into wooden boards before trying to craft a later recipe, the way I do it leaves fewer recipes that can't be crafted, because right now it only effects electronics.
I also have a Patreon.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Passing thought, wonder if an event callback could unregister the original wood recipe when the synthetic is unlocked, then re-register it (maybe a tick later)....

Chronicon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Chronicon »

hello, all bob's mod packs seem to let factorio run without start-up error except this electronics pack, the way i know it is this one is i manually removed each zip from mod's folder one at a time and reloaded factorio each time, is there a way to fix this issue as i would like to use all the mod pack's Image

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Since the image is resized down, it makes it difficult to read.
And with a window so big, it looks like it goes off the bottom of the screen anyway.

A log file from the error would be much more useful...

However, from what I can see, it's a recursive technology prerequisite. In other words, there's a loop somewhere. A -> B -> C -> A.

Even though it's hard to read there... one of the technologies was gunship. My mods do not add a gunship, therefore.......... You are using mods other than my own.

Some of my mods will change the research order just a little, And because my mods change what they do depending on what items they find, it's possible that one of the other mods is doing this when electronics are detected, even though the electronics mod isn't doing it.

So, although my mods change the research order slightly, it's not done in any significant way that by themselves would cause an error, it must be one of the other mods you've installed also changing the research order, and as a result, creating some loop by the two... or more mods.

Since I can't read the full error message, I can't pinpoint the loop, and therefore can't pinpoint the issue... however, I'd take a good bet that if you uninstalled some of the other mods, the issue would also stop.

Although there's probably not a whole lot I can do to fix this issue, due to being multiple mods some of which aren't mine all working together causing the issue, I might be able to recommend the best options for your best gameplay experience. It might be changing options in my config mod, or dropping a specific one of my mods. But I'd need a copy of your error log.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”