[0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

RickJS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by RickJS »

I suggest we get the ability to boil pure water in boilers. I'm going to have a huge excess from making heavy water.

Thanks!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

RickJS wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:53 pm
I suggest we get the ability to boil pure water in boilers. I'm going to have a huge excess from making heavy water.

Thanks!
The main problem with this is that what the boiler takes as the input fluid is defined as a specific fluid.
if you wanted it to accept pure water, it would ONLY accept pure water. so you'd need to clean water before you can feed it into a boiler.
Alternatively, you could just clone a version of every type of boiler in the game to run off pure water, so there's a second version of everything, but I didn't want to do that.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Mecejide
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mecejide »

Can you make technologies require the science packs they use?
Edit: and make oil burners and flamethrower turrets use the same set of fluids

evandy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evandy »

RickJS wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks!
You can electrolyze it into hydrogen and oxygen and flare them easy enough.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

oh, right, Excess pure water from making heavy water.

1. that was intended to be a pain to manage, to limit your heavy water throughput.
2. if I were to go truely realistic on quantities, it'd be even less heavy water from doing that.
3. Since you're supposed to Electrolyse pure water anyway to get certain desired things, this is a push to make you want to Electrolyse to get Oxygen, rather than splitting air.
I probably use as much pure water to make Rocket fuel (for rocket silo) as I produce from a heavy water plant anyway, so... it works.
I also have a Patreon.

Mecejide
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mecejide »

Here are two suggestions:
1. Replace the silicon nitride in the burner heat source 3s and artillery turret MK2 and the tungsten plate in the thorium reactor with refined concrete, and replace the tungsten carbide plate in the deuterium reactor and artillery turret MK3 with a new item called composite material, which is crafted from refined concrete and low density structures and can be used as a path.
This is so that the progression of path materials gets preserved in recipes, like other series of items.
2. Replace the portable fusion reactors in the fusion powered robots with vehicle fusion cell MK1s.
This is because flying robots are vehicles, and a vehicle fusion cell MK1 produces enough to power both robot MK4s.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mecejide wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:37 am
1. Replace the silicon nitride in the burner heat source 3s and artillery turret MK2 and the tungsten plate in the thorium reactor with refined concrete, and replace the tungsten carbide plate in the deuterium reactor and artillery turret MK3 with a new item called composite material, which is crafted from refined concrete and low density structures and can be used as a path.
This is so that the progression of path materials gets preserved in recipes, like other series of items.
2. Replace the portable fusion reactors in the fusion powered robots with vehicle fusion cell MK1s.
This is because flying robots are vehicles, and a vehicle fusion cell MK1 produces enough to power both robot MK4s.
not sure about the first idea, Silicon Nitride isn't used as a path material anyway... the entire floor tile system was added after these materials.
The second idea is good though, I'll look into it, though this idea would be redundant when I get around to doing the RTGs (If I get around to it)
I also have a Patreon.

Mecejide
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mecejide »

bobingabout wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:50 pm
Mecejide wrote:
not sure about the first idea, Silicon Nitride isn't used as a path material anyway... the entire floor tile system was added after these materials.
The second idea is good though, I'll look into it, though this idea would be redundant when I get around to doing the RTGs (If I get around to it)
I know that Silicon Nitride isn't a path material. I was trying to say that if the first tier of a item uses a path material, higher tiers of the building should use higher tiers of path materials. This is how plates, pipes, gears, bearings, circuits, modules, electronic components, and heat pipes are used, but currently, path materials in lower tiers of buildings correspond to intermediates in higher tiers.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mecejide wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:09 pm
bobingabout wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:50 pm
Mecejide wrote:
I know that Silicon Nitride isn't a path material. I was trying to say that if the first tier of a item uses a path material, higher tiers of the building should use higher tiers of path materials. This is how plates, pipes, gears, bearings, circuits, modules, electronic components, and heat pipes are used, but currently, path materials in lower tiers of buildings correspond to intermediates in higher tiers.
well, when I wrote the tech tree of what the materials are, "Path material" didn't even enter into the equation because paths didn't exist. I was just looking at it as a non-metalic construction material, of which stone, brick and concrete all are, just like Silicon Nitride is a Ceramic, a non-metal construction material.
I also have a Patreon.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

What does the research "Long Inserters 2" give me? Without it researched, I checked and if I try to configure an inserter, I have the full 5x5 grid of locations with no gaps.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Do you have the right mod options enabled ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

Doubtful. What might be wrong?

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MageKing17 »

enchant wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 am
What does the research "Long Inserters 2" give me? Without it researched, I checked and if I try to configure an inserter, I have the full 5x5 grid of locations with no gaps.
It gives you a 7x7 grid.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

Der. Sorry to waste everyone's time. It's been a while since I played and I really thought that 5x5 was the max.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

Heat Pipe 3 is an ingredient in a couple of the third tier nukyaler components. Aside from that, is there any benefit to using it in place of the regular heat pipe when connecting reactors to heat exchangers?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

enchant wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:58 pm
Heat Pipe 3 is an ingredient in a couple of the third tier nukyaler components. Aside from that, is there any benefit to using it in place of the regular heat pipe when connecting reactors to heat exchangers?
It has a higher heat transfer capacity.

For the general user... probably not.
but if you're one of those people who likes to build mega reactors... yes, definitely.
I also have a Patreon.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

Excellent. Thanks!

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

Another question... If I'm reading this right, the tier 4 logistic robot is constructed in half a second. It requires 1 tier 4 flying robot frame, which takes 20 seconds to construct. So if I were to create an optimized factory to create tier 4 robots, I'd need 40 assemblers just to make the frames? Do I have that right?

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

enchant wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am
Another question... If I'm reading this right, the tier 4 logistic robot is constructed in half a second. It requires 1 tier 4 flying robot frame, which takes 20 seconds to construct. So if I were to create an optimized factory to create tier 4 robots, I'd need 40 assemblers just to make the frames? Do I have that right?
Or you accept that the assembler making the robot idles mostly.

enchant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by enchant »

I'm fine with that. As long as there's some math that I'm not misunderstanding.

Hey Bob, since robots get built so fast, can you give us an assembler that can build all four levels of robots depending on what materials are available? :D

Return to “Bob's mods”