Need some help with all the mods

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Need some help with all the mods

Post by Dreepa »

Hi,

I have installed all the angels and bob's mods, and I like it so far. However, I just cannot get into liking that you make electronics out of wood. Maybe it is an interesting game design decision to use wood, but for me it just makes no sense and breaks my immersion :) (Yes, I am that kind of person that even immerses into a 2d abstract factory game)...

Is it possible to somehow get rid of that part in a running save game? What mod would I need to disable? Bob's electronics? Or maybe Bob's intermediates?

Any advice?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Need some help with all the mods

Post by Light »

Dreepa wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 pm
However, I just cannot get into liking that you make electronics out of wood. Maybe it is an interesting game design decision to use wood, but for me it just makes no sense and breaks my immersion :)
You must be quite young to believe that wooden boards weren't used for electronics.

Wood did the job perfectly fine assuming any boards were used at all in older electronics. Paper laminated with phenolic resin or fiberglass epoxy is common and inexpensive today, while ultimately being the better choice given PCBs have traces printed in them, but crude electronic devices using wood aren't unrealistic. My grandfather can attest to that.

But if you don't care either way, you can disable Bob's Electronics to rid yourself of wooden boards.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

As an electronic engineer, I assure you that wood for electronic circuit boards is a real thing.
When I was in school, we actually made a circuit by sticking sticky back copper traces to a piece of MDF... which is a newer version of the olden technology that used to basically be wires on a plank of wood.
You later then moved on to rosin bonded paper, and eventually phenolic fibreglass.

I paralleled this real life progression by using wood for low end electronics, and fibreglass for high end boards.

Seriously, think about it, it's more realistic than copper wires and an iron plate.

However, if you don't accept this... just uninstall bob electronics, and wooden electronic boards should go away. there will be changes in how you build things, but the game should still load, and you'll need to go fix broken production chains in your base.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am not unfamiliar with wood being a possible ingredient. I just do not think it fits the theme of building a mega factory. After all, there is lasers, radars, tanks, super complicated chemical refineries etc.

So it feels a bit like being stuck in the stone age. What I WOULD love though, if the production starts with wood and then later on a new recipe comes available that supersedes the old recipe. So at some point you would be able to switch. Just like in vanilla factorio, at the start you can use burner furnaces and arms and are kind of in a "survival, I have nothing" atmosphere, and then later on you never touch them again, but go full electronic arms.

That kind of "progression" would be cool. But then again, who cares about my little nerdy niche interests :D
Just thinking out loud here.

cheers,

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

in theory that progression does exist, because only the first board requires wood, the 2nd and 3rd boards don't. the 2nd, 3rd and 4th circuits use the 2nd and 3rd boards. many of the later game machines just don't require you to use the T1 board, so there's still progression in that respect.
I also have a Patreon.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

All right. I will continue and see what comes then :)

Since this topic is done, I would like to deviate to another question I also have:

I am struggling hard to deal with "icon only" information. When recipes are multi-output (like the whole ore content, or the refinery content) I only see the names of the ingredients, but not the names of the output material.

Since the icons often times are nearly the same, just with a little different color (especially all the chemicals), and since you cannot mouse-over (like: tooltip over tooltip) I am extremely frustrated often times. Which is a pitty, because I love the mod and the challenge. But this is no mental challenge, it is just a really big overhead to trying to figure out what the heck is coming out of that recipe.
What I am currently doing is, I switch to FNEI all the time, back and forth, to remember what that icon was supposed to mean.

Am I missing a mod that helps here? That shows _text_ instead of icons? Or any other thing that I am missing?

Cheers,

coderpatsy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by coderpatsy »

Multi-Product Recipe Details still works despite being deprecated.

Or you can use something like FNEI to show you details of recipes and better figure out recipe chains.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Very few of the bob's mods recipes use multi-output. The ores you mentioned, well, all of bob's ores are just mined straight out of the ground, so a multi-ore output is an angels thing. Most of the ones that do have a multi output are fairly obvious... but not all. Salt water electrolysis gives Sodium Hydroxide, Chlorine and Hydrogen. Advanced copper processing gives Cobalt oxide(the only way to get it in pure bobs unless you turn on the optional cobalt ore fields) and Copper plates. Electrolysis gives Hydrogen and Oxygen. There's several oil processing recipes, but other than those, I can't even remember any others, because there's so few.

Previous information is valid by the way, I'm not ignoring it or anything.
I also have a Patreon.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Hey, thanks for the info.

Might you also happen to know what I could have done to break this:

https://pasteboard.co/HJVl07o.png

I don't seem to have a "roboport antenna mk1" in my menue, though I have mk2. The rest of the components in mk1 tier are also shown correctly. Just antenna mk1 is missing. However, I can craft it from hand.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

As the MK2 component doesn't need the MK1 one you can craft the MK2.
My guess is one of the lot of mods you have installed changes around the categories. Try to search for it.
The MK2 component doesn't require the MK1 component, but the MK2 entity does require the MK1 entity, so you still need a MK1 antenna.

I don't know why it's missing from your list.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Mk2 needs MK1 :)

So it seems that 5Dim and Bob's mod are not compatible with each other, right?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

if it's 5dim that is removing it, yeah.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”