Optional features, on the way out or in?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Optional features, on the way out or in?

Post by sparr »

This question is prompted by today's demotion of basic belts to a non-default option.

I want to use cutting edge features that are optional because they need more testing/development.

I don't want to use features that are being deprecated and are optional for backwards compatibility reasons.

Is there a convenient way to tell the difference? The changelogs seem to be lacking this sort of info.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Optional features, on the way out or in?

Post by bobingabout »

The main reason the new settings are off by default is because people complain. The new options in Logistics mod are all in development settings and will be set to true at a later date.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

mtilsted
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Optional features, on the way out or in?

Post by mtilsted »

bobingabout wrote:The main reason the new settings are off by default is because people complain. The new options in Logistics mod are all in development settings and will be set to true at a later date.
I really like the new belt design, so switching back to bob belts :)

But note that this change of defaults really mess things up when loading a game created before the change of default because it removes all base transport belts on existing games when loading them.

The work around is easy: Just hit "new game", then mod settings and then enable the change to transport belts, and then I can load the old game again without losing half my factorio :)
You might want to show a warning/note about this if your plugin detect base transport belts on an existing game.

What Is really needed is a "Per game" mod settings, but I don't know if that is possible.

Return to “Bob's mods”