AngelBob noob stuck pre-mainbus handcrafting red science

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

AngelBob noob stuck pre-mainbus handcrafting red science

Post by MisterFister »

Howdy folks. I wrote a post here and am referencing it here in the Bob's subforum, and I chose to place it there to widen the possible audience of replies I might get. I'm gonna give it a shout out here and over on the Angel's subforum as well.

It's something of a stream-of-consciousness, but my TLDR is that I'm past hoping for a good guide, walkthrough, YouTube video, or google search being helpful in furthering my understanding. The problem with all of those is that they all indicate that they're obsolete from before some significant changes have been made to these mods, and I also have a vocabulary problem because I cannot for the life of me figure out what a "floater" is and other people posting about this frustration just seem to get downvoted and shutdown. So, some v0.16-era early-game burner-tier or even a mid-tier early-electric tech level layout for some smelteries, or a processing module, just so I can get up to basic steam power and a rudimentary mainbus and get working on automating some red science. In the alternative, maybe a custom spreadsheet that someone uses would provide some hope for me, even if the data is blank and only tells me about the current and near-future tech tree and ore processing paths that I need to pay attention for. Something to help me decide what tech to unlock with my handcrafted red bottles, anyway.

Full disclosure, I'm running Rampant, RSO, and qol mods, DayNightExtender, and an assortment of other mods including some that are cosmetic. Note that I would be running OreChaos and AxialTilt if they were compatible with v0.16.x.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: AngelBob noob stuck pre-mainbus handcrafting red science

Post by bobingabout »

If you have angels installed, you really need to ask angel.

however, bob's mods hasn't changed a lot over the years, for a large period it was just updated from one version to another, maybe with the odd feature added in here and there, no wide scale changes.

Also, for the early game (pre red science), it's pretty much the same as vanilla.... unless you have bob electronics installed...

Also, along with the standard iron, copper, stone and coal, and oil, you have to also make sure your starting area has tin, lead and quartz, with plenty of wood. The game will be difficult if you don't have all 9 of these in your starting area, because you'll need to go hunt down resources before you can really handle biters.

Angels changes the way things work, so much to the point I haven't looked into what he changes.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

Ok, so, first of all, I am running the full suite of both, so on that basis I can say that yes, I am running Bob's Electronics.

Second, as to the starting ores. I'm still mystified as to which ores equate to which yielded metals. I'm guessing that the crushers and sorters are on the Angel-side of things, but again, I am also in the dark as to which aspects are your mod. Would you suggest I run Bobs-only for a while to familiarize myself? And even if so... Bobmonium, Bauxite, Stratitite and somesuch... I have no context. But even in with respect to the sorters, I am now outputting actual vanilla-copper and vanilla-iron ores, none of the crushed stuff. But I receive an error message when I go to insert them into a furnace.

I know enough from my mod-playing experience in other games to respect and love your work here, and I thank you for personally reaching out.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Bobonium isn't a bob ore, it's angels, same with stratitite, so, what I said about ores doesn't really apply, because Angel changes things. You probably just need Bobonium.

Playing a game of only bobs will be easier than diving straight in to angel and bobs. Bob's is like factorio hardmode, angels is like bob's mods hardmode, he takes what I did, and goes even further.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

If you are struggling that much, you should probably start off with just bobs (all of them or leave out electronics at first) and launch a rocket and in the next step add my mods (maybe refining at first and then later the rest). So you get an ever increasing "complexity" with each game. Just add whatever feels right for you and keeps you happy and entertained. :)

Return to “Bob's mods”