Planned: Fuel values on fluids and Hydrogen balance. Give opinions.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Planned: Fuel values on fluids and Hydrogen balance. Give opinions.

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:Burning hydrogen creates steam so no pollution sounds about right. Unless you count fog and slightly increased rainfall as pollution. Aliens shouldn't be smart enough to notice those.

Unless they are in a desert and don't like water at all...

So maybe a separate hydrogen burner is a good idea so it can have no pollution while burning crude oil has a lot.
Since you can't choose how much pollution each fluid generates, only entity, and you can't blacklist any fluids, just filter for a specific one...
I'm going to TRY to have a standard fluid generator that produces pollution, and then specifically a hydrazine generator that doesn't. The hydrazine generator will also be tuned specifically for that fluid.

Another thing I've brought up before, there's no fluid usage scaling in the generator entity, it burns exactly as much is specified, and doesn't care about fuel value, capping it to the entities maximum.

Since I have source access, I've written a solution for that (Added tag scale_fluid_usage, default to false), and we'll see if it gets merged into the game.
Ranting about pipes
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

i agree that hydrogen need a re-balance, and working backwards from the power is the way to go. However, considering the 'value add' processes should have higher fuel values, and Hydrogen is one step out of water, it should be worth processing it beyond just hydrogen for fuel. (personally you should need to feed the oxygen to get the hydrogen to burn efficiently).
On the other issue of multi-recipes, could you take inspiration from Yuoki's engines mod that takes liquid fuel, and lubricant and outputs mechanical 'fluid'.
These entities have recipe options which you can select (generally liquid fuel +water or lube to improved outputs). That would be one way of "locking" fluid inputs, but you still run into the issue of pollution for non-clean fuels.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Combustion with air will create nitrous oxigen even if you don't burn carbon based fuels. There's always some pollution.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

pezzawinkle wrote:i agree that hydrogen need a re-balance, and working backwards from the power is the way to go. However, considering the 'value add' processes should have higher fuel values, and Hydrogen is one step out of water, it should be worth processing it beyond just hydrogen for fuel. (personally you should need to feed the oxygen to get the hydrogen to burn efficiently).
If you take a look at the most recent releases, I added fuel values to a lot of fluids, but didn't add one to hydrogen... wait...

Crap, I removed the entry from the change log, but it looks like hydrogen does still actually have a fuel value set on it. I'll remove that, you're not intended to be able to burn it directly. although it does make a good fuel, you're supposed to process it into Hydrazine first.
I also have a Patreon.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

Is it viable to make gas boiling power generator have really low efficiency? It would allow nice use for useless hydrogen (rather than venting it with burning animation and not getting any energy) and would not break balance.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
pezzawinkle wrote:i agree that hydrogen need a re-balance, and working backwards from the power is the way to go. However, considering the 'value add' processes should have higher fuel values, and Hydrogen is one step out of water, it should be worth processing it beyond just hydrogen for fuel. (personally you should need to feed the oxygen to get the hydrogen to burn efficiently).
If you take a look at the most recent releases, I added fuel values to a lot of fluids, but didn't add one to hydrogen... wait...

Crap, I removed the entry from the change log, but it looks like hydrogen does still actually have a fuel value set on it. I'll remove that, you're not intended to be able to burn it directly. although it does make a good fuel, you're supposed to process it into Hydrazine first.
Hydrazine is way to complex and far down the tech tree while you get a huge excess of hydrogen early in the game.

There really should be a hydrogen + oxygen burning process that doesn't cost power like putting it in a flare stack.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

Hydrazine is way to complex and far down the tech tree while you get a huge excess of hydrogen early in the game.

There really should be a hydrogen + oxygen burning process that doesn't cost power like putting it in a flare stack.
well, there is the fuel block recipe before then.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
mrvn wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

Rotol tells me there is solid fuel from Hydrogen + coal (needs green science). I don't want to waste coal coal and in seablock green science is a long way away from the start. A lot of hydrogen flared when you can spare power the least.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

mrvn wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
mrvn wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

Rotol tells me there is solid fuel from Hydrogen + coal (needs green science). I don't want to waste coal coal and in seablock green science is a long way away from the start. A lot of hydrogen flared when you can spare power the least.
Hydrogen + Oxygen? So you would need to balance it out so that it wont give any surplus if you get both from electrolysis? Some things are doable IRL but they dont make much sense in a game balancing perspective.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

it has purpose irl, such as rocket fuel. but in factorio, it wouldn't make much sense, with 100% efficiency you'd get out what you put in, but it shouldn't be 100% efficient, it should be lower, meaning you lose energy making it pointless.
it also makes burning excess hydrogen pointless, because you won't have excess oxygen to use to burn it, it'll literally just cost the outputs of electrolysis.
I also have a Patreon.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

bobingabout wrote:it has purpose irl, such as rocket fuel. but in factorio, it wouldn't make much sense, with 100% efficiency you'd get out what you put in, but it shouldn't be 100% efficient, it should be lower, meaning you lose energy making it pointless.
it also makes burning excess hydrogen pointless, because you won't have excess oxygen to use to burn it, it'll literally just cost the outputs of electrolysis.
So I guess that dirt water electrolysis was added by SeaBlock (one producing slag + hydrogen + oxygen)...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:it has purpose irl, such as rocket fuel. but in factorio, it wouldn't make much sense, with 100% efficiency you'd get out what you put in, but it shouldn't be 100% efficient, it should be lower, meaning you lose energy making it pointless.
Unless all you need is the slag or you have excess oxygen from nitrogen processing and excess hydrogen from Lithium chloride Electrolysis for example. Imho hydrogen should be usable as fuel as is or with oxygene for more efficiency. Actually I think all fuels could accept oxygen for an extra boost. This would add another option for balancing excess gases.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Except accepting just one fluid as a fuel is already a fairly hackish modification of the generator, having a requirement of 2 different fluids would have to basically be an assembling machine recipe doing something funky with scripting.

As you already know, I'm trying to avoid scripting. Inserters GUI is an exception to that rule, as is the clock, and the new classes/bodies stuff. (And Classes is still a prototype, I'd love feedback and suggestions on this)
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Power 0.16.2:
Added fast replace group to medium power poles.
Decreased collision box of substation so it is possible to walk between it and other entities.
Added fuel value of 4.6MJ to Petroleum Gas.
Added fuel value of 3MJ to Light oil.
Added fuel value of 2MJ to Heavy oil.
Added base_level = 1 to all boiler output fluid boxes.
Added fluid generators 40% efficient MK1 55% MK2 70% MK3 and 90% Hydrazine (Recommend version 0.16.26 for these)

If you use version 0.16.26, the game will scale fluid usage and produce pollution when you use the fluid generators.
I also have a Patreon.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

did you set the new flag for fluid scaling for the steam generators as well? As it is the combination of boiler 3 and engine 2( both red+green tech) is not more efficient because of the wasted temperature.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ukezi wrote:did you set the new flag for fluid scaling for the steam generators as well? As it is the combination of boiler 3 and engine 2( both red+green tech) is not more efficient because of the wasted temperature.
No, I haven't, but that's because I was considering going back over and revisiting steam generators shortly.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

What exactly does that flag do? (assume you set the flag for steam engines)

If I put 300° steam into a steam engine wanting 200° steam does that mean it will only consume half as much steam?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

mrvn wrote:What exactly does that flag do? (assume you set the flag for steam engines)

If I put 300° steam into a steam engine wanting 200° steam does that mean it will only consume half as much steam?
A bit more maths involved than that, because it's expected divided by provided, but for steam the offset is starting temperature of the water, not zero. So you have (200 - 15) / (300 - 15) = 65%

But yeah, it will consume 65% of the fluid IF you set it on a steam engine.

The devs did suggest that I just hard code it in that steam acts as it does now, but fuel does this scaling(based off the burns_fuel tag)... and I'm like... I could do that... or I could just add another tag for this feature, then the modder can use it or not on either method. So that's how I wrote it.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
mrvn wrote:What exactly does that flag do? (assume you set the flag for steam engines)

A bit more maths involved than that, because it's expected divided by provided, but for steam the offset is starting temperature of the water, not zero. So you have (200 - 15) / (300 - 15) = 65%

But yeah, it will consume 65% of the fluid IF you set it on a steam engine.

The devs did suggest that I just hard code it in that steam acts as it does now, but fuel does this scaling(based off the burns_fuel tag)... and I'm like... I could do that... or I could just add another tag for this feature, then the modder can use it or not on either method. So that's how I wrote it.
I always thought the inefficiency of boilers and steam engines could be explained by the fact they they need steam and you have to heat water up to 100°C first and change it to steam first. (so usable energy is everything above 100). But that would probably have been to realistic. :)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

bobingabout wrote: Crude Oil would have a value of 3.8MJ, except I don't want it to be usable as a fuel directly, so I'm not giving it a fuel value.
Why not?
It confuses people, as you've called it "Oil burning generator", but unlike the FlameThrower turrets, it can't burn crude oil !
(Which also, as you know, can't burn Petroleum Gas (aka Ethylene - Propane/Butane)...

So, they wonder if you can only burn a very specific fuel in them :
oil_burning_generator_confusion_smaller.png
oil_burning_generator_confusion_smaller.png (181.53 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
... and fluid burning is kind of harder to do than just sticking a solid fuel into a burner, so they don't bother trying other fluids !

Also, have you noticed this tidbit from the vanilla fluid.lua?

Code: Select all

{
    type = "fluid",
    name = "crude-oil",
    default_temperature = 25,
    heat_capacity = "0.1KJ",
[...]
    max_temperature = 100,
[...]
    pressure_to_speed_ratio = 0.4,
    flow_to_energy_ratio = 0.59,
    -- fuel_value = "8MJ", <<<==================[[[
[...]
  },
(Though, no idea how old that is, might need to be 0.8MJ(/L) after the x10 fluid rebalance?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Bob's mods”